Convince me to buy a 2002 TL-S!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 08:11 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convince me to buy a 2002 TL-S!!!!

Hello all, I'd first like to introduce myself since this is my very first post here. I currently drive a 1994 MR2 turbo which I am ready to get rid of. I want the styling, space, and luxury that the TL has to offer after contemplating different makes and models. I like everything about the Tl except for the issues with the tranny which I have been reading. I spoke to several acura dealerships and they tell me that they can look up the vin number to see if the recall has been performed or not. On average how often to the tranny's go out and what exactly should I look for when shopping for an 02 TL-S. Please convince me that the TL is still a safe purchase. Thanks in advance
Old 12-15-2004, 08:15 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 15PSi
Hello all, I'd first like to introduce myself since this is my very first post here. I currently drive a 1994 MR2 turbo which I am ready to get rid of. I want the styling, space, and luxury that the TL has to offer after contemplating different makes and models. I like everything about the Tl except for the issues with the tranny which I have been reading. I spoke to several acura dealerships and they tell me that they can look up the vin number to see if the recall has been performed or not. On average how often to the tranny's go out and what exactly should I look for when shopping for an 02 TL-S. Please convince me that the TL is still a safe purchase. Thanks in advance
Are you sure you want to rid yourself of the MR2? Anyway the TL is a wonderful car (I actually drive a CL) as it's classy and speedy.

However, if I were looking into a car that ignites passion, i'd look into a BMW 330 or something

Either way, you can't go wrong!
Old 12-15-2004, 08:20 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah I think its time to part with the MR2 as much as I don't want to. I've been having some issues with the car and I will eventually look for another later on down the road. I was thinking about the 3 series but I don't want to be to flashy. I really like everything the TL has to offer. 2 of my buddies have Cl's and I really like the way they drive. I test drove the TL the other day and new it was the car I'm looking for. I'm just worried about the tranny issues.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:41 PM
Drive fast & swerve

welcome to the board. you'll learn more about the TL (and other cars) than you ever wanted to know, but it's all good stuff. anyway, I have an 02 Type S and I absolutely love it. It gives you luxury, style, speed and it's not as flashy as the BMW...I looked at the 3-series before I bought the TL and I really liked it, but it was too flashy for my every day taste. As for the tranny issues, I wouldn't let that keep you from purchasing the car. There is a recall for the oil jets on certain models and Acura has extended the warranty on the transmission to 100K miles, so you're covered for a while. If you can land an '03, that would be better since it'll be newer. Another good thing is that there are some awesome mods you can do to the car to make it faster, handle better, etc (all without changing the stock look) and it's all relatively inexpensive in relation to the 3-series.

Good luck on your decision...either way you go, you're going to be happy!
Old 12-15-2004, 10:01 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

what the hell makes the 3-series so flashy to you guys??????????
looks like a girls car to me!!!!
Old 12-15-2004, 10:02 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

btw..........whats a mr2???
Old 12-15-2004, 11:37 PM
Banned

I love my 02 TLS I have had it for almost two months now. I purchased it knowing full well that there were tranny issues, however Acura has stepped up to the plate and is covering all the issues concerning the trannies. I love the way the car drives and looks and would definately reccomend it over a BMW 3 series. I have had a BMW and I was not all that impressed, if you are looking for a german car go for the Mercedes ever time.

bkzjimmy an MR2 is a toyota
Old 12-16-2004, 12:30 AM
i

Originally Posted by bkzjimmy

and the TL has more sexy potential than nething else, to already add to its sexy appeal
Old 12-16-2004, 09:16 AM
Drifting

I have a 2002 TL Type S.

It is FAST. It is luxurious. It is beautiful (subjective). With aftermarket suspension, it handles like a dream.

It is probably THE best FWD sports sedan you can get in it's class.

But there are AWD and RWD sedans out there as well. Each drivetrain has it's own adv and disadv which I'm sure you're aware of.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:32 AM
Drive fast & swerve

everyone has their opinions, but I looked at the 330 and to me it just has a look that says "look at me, I'm freaking cool guy and you are not"...I like my car much better though.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:02 AM
NorCal you Beezy!

I just bought mine 02 TLs recently ... I would go for the TL the bmw's cost alot to maintain. Our cars handle and perform as well as the 330. Hope my input helps any.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

better yet...try to find an 03 CL-s 6sp.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:52 AM
Banned

Good luck on that, they're rare to find on used car lot.
There are soo many reason to get a TL but can't list them all.

Originally Posted by joseph_99tl
better yet...try to find an 03 CL-s 6sp.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by IndyTypeS
everyone has their opinions, but I looked at the 330 and to me it just has a look that says "look at me, I'm freaking cool guy and you are not"...I like my car much better though.

lol. hey it's because it's true! My BMW just feels more high end than my CL. At any rate, you can't go wrong either way!

The TL Type-S is a great car and looks amazing when dropped with aftermarket wheels.

Actually, I think the Lexus IS300 has the "look at me, I'm freaking cool guy and you are not" syndrome more than the BMW 3 series.

Good luck!
Old 12-16-2004, 05:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fpique
I just bought mine 02 TLs recently ... I would go for the TL the bmw's cost alot to maintain. Our cars handle and perform as well as the 330. Hope my input helps any.
Oh and the TL does NOT handle as well as the 330. One word: UNDERSTEER!!!

Straight line acceleration perhaps (and even then, the 330 is a bit quicker because of the lighter chassis, rear wheel drive, the near 50/50 weight distribution, silky smooth drivetrain, etc). With the manual transmission the 330 is much faster to 60 than the TL.

With that said, the TL/CL are not BAD handling cars, they just aren't that great from factory. Everytime I take a curve in my CL, the car just doesn't give me that much confidence in the grip (it feels REALLY nose heavy and has quite a bit of body roll). That paired with the fact that the stock brakes are abhorrent....

I may just be being picky, but certainly not biased because I do happily own one. VTEC makes me smile everytime!
Old 12-16-2004, 09:53 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I feel that much more confident in purchasing the TL and I will definately post pictures once I do.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:34 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
This car does not need to be sold.... drive the car one time and you will understand....
but if you need help...
1. good retain of value
2. best value, a lot of standard options...
3. more power than any competitor... G35 has more, but hella expensive and also cheap interior....
4. drive the fuckin car..... damn it...
Old 12-17-2004, 01:31 AM
Pro

Here are two reasons

Old 12-17-2004, 02:05 AM
Banned

ALL BMW's LOOK THE SAME!
M3 IZ FAST, BUT THEY ALL LOOK THE FUKIN SAME.
THE ONLY WAY I CAN TELL EM APART IZ LOOKING AT THE NUMBER ON THE REAR, FOUR DOOR OR COUP, WIDE BODY OR NARROW ETC.........FUK BEEMER!
THE TL IZ WAY BETTER, BANG FOR YOUR BUCK
IVE SMOKED MY FRIENDS 3 SERIES EVERY TIME WE RACE!!!!!!!!!! BMW
Old 12-17-2004, 02:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by thedream21479
lol. hey it's because it's true! My BMW just feels more high end than my CL. At any rate, you can't go wrong either way!

The TL Type-S is a great car and looks amazing when dropped with aftermarket wheels.

Actually, I think the Lexus IS300 has the "look at me, I'm freaking cool guy and you are not" syndrome more than the BMW 3 series.

Good luck!
THE IS 300 IZ THE LOWEST FORM OF LEXUS/TOYOTA THER IZ. I SMOKE EM EVERY TIME
Old 12-17-2004, 02:36 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I didn't want to become another-kid-driving-a-3-series-on-campus-douchebag-number-527849.

But that wasn't the main reason. Financially, it made perfectly logical sense to get the TL, since it offered nearly the same level of products for the money compared to its competitors such as the 3-series, C-class, etc.

I love the design on this car, despite what car magazines said. Apparently it's really boring and bland according to them. Well, I think their faces look like something a camel pooped out, but then again, it's just my own individual subjective observation. Personally, I think the TL possesses one of the best designs; true, it's not as gorgeous and eye-catching as a red Ferrari, but for what it was meant to be (a family sedan), it is very classy, elegant, sporty, and passively aggressive. Ever since I got my TL, I've made a habit of staring at my car.

After taking a test drive, I didn't need any more convincing. I knew it was the one. Granted, it does suffer from a transmission defect. Between the extended transmission warranty, and the half-assed recall efforts, there's no real fix for this problem. Either you get lucky and don't have the problem, or you could have shitty luck and go through multiple transmissions. Nobody knows, and I don't care. If it's going to break, then it's going to break. Worrying about it isn't going to resolve the situation. I'm going to do what I bought this car for -- to enjoy driving it.

I tell ya... I'm no test driver, but I've driven many different cars, and the TL is definitely one of my favorites.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:54 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MADCAT
Good luck on that, they're rare to find on used car lot.
There are soo many reason to get a TL but can't list them all.
Here's one - certified.

http://rosenthalacura.com/used_vehic...4d2b111b6b83d7
Old 12-17-2004, 04:34 PM
Racer

TommiGSR those cars are absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Mad props!
Old 12-17-2004, 05:11 PM
Banned

What wheels are on the blue?? That's the hottest ABP I think I've seen yet!
Old 12-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by izzo
ALL BMW's LOOK THE SAME!
M3 IZ FAST, BUT THEY ALL LOOK THE FUKIN SAME.
THE ONLY WAY I CAN TELL EM APART IZ LOOKING AT THE NUMBER ON THE REAR, FOUR DOOR OR COUP, WIDE BODY OR NARROW ETC.........FUK BEEMER!
THE TL IZ WAY BETTER, BANG FOR YOUR BUCK
IVE SMOKED MY FRIENDS 3 SERIES EVERY TIME WE RACE!!!!!!!!!! BMW
Quit racing his 323i automatic and race a 330i/Ci manual (or auto for that matter) and then get back to me

And actually, in point of fact they don't all look the same. Certainly the 3 series with sport packages look much more aggressive than the standard cars. And the M3 shouts, move over here comes godzilla.

I guess you think the TL-S and the TL-P look wayyyyyy different.

The TL is no doubt a great bang for buck, but then you get inside the car and the less bucks really show up. Not saying that the interior of the TL/CL is low rent by any means....but the obnoxiously fake plastic wood looks just that, obnoxiously fake plastic. That and the large amounts of Honda Accord switchgear doesn't exactly shout opulence. It is however, high quality stuff and will last for a long time.

I like my Acura a lot. More than a lot. But I LOVE my BMW And I can't wait for my new M5!

By the way, get the Aegean Blue Pearl TL, it looks AMAZING!!!
Old 12-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Racer

THE IS 300 IZ THE LOWEST FORM OF LEXUS/TOYOTA THER IZ. I SMOKE EM EVERY TIME

And they on the other hand look at you and say, Yeah, at least my car's tranny won't break, i'm rear wheel drive with an able chassis that will run rings around you on a twisty road, and my car has much more character!
Old 12-18-2004, 04:29 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Quit racing his 323i automatic and race a 330i/Ci manual (or auto for that matter) and then get back to me

And actually, in point of fact they don't all look the same. Certainly the 3 series with sport packages look much more aggressive than the standard cars. And the M3 shouts, move over here comes godzilla.

The TL is no doubt a great bang for buck, but then you get inside the car and the less bucks really show up. Not saying that the interior of the TL/CL is low rent by any means....but the obnoxiously fake plastic wood looks just that, obnoxiously fake plastic. That and the large amounts of Honda Accord switchgear doesn't exactly shout opulence. It is however, high quality stuff and will last for a long time.

I like my Acura a lot. More than a lot. But I LOVE my BMW And I can't wait for my new M5!

Raced a 330Ci manual a while back. This guy was being extremely cocky at the light, looking over at me, rolling his car back and forth, with his "neener-neener-neener, my car is better than yours" look.

On green, he took off, and I gave pursuit right away. I smoked his 330Ci-driving cocky ass, and his response was cutting me off at the next intersection, barking his tires and almost putting me into the curb in the process.

This is why I don't particularly try to find BMWs to race now. If they win, they will act all cocky (but what's changed from before the race, anyway?). But if they lose, they will probably either give you the bird or, in cases like mine, cut you off.

Had a similar thing happen with this young kid driving an M3, too. I didn't beat him, but I kept up pretty well. I guess he got ticked off or something, maybe his ego was hurt a bit that he couldn't destroy a lowly Acura... he sped up to a pretty damn fast pace and ran away from me. What's that gonna prove, other than the point that you're a fucking moron with poor sportsmanship (although you can't really call street racing a sports).

I swore off on BMW drivers. I've already turned down 3 races around campus from 3-series drivers. I may race random BMW's, but not around campus. Those sons of bitches would probably find my car and vandalize it.

No personal offense to you, man, but I just can't stand BMW drivers. And the streets back home are littered with BMWs. Fuckers.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Raced a 330Ci manual a while back. This guy was being extremely cocky at the light, looking over at me, rolling his car back and forth, with his "neener-neener-neener, my car is better than yours" look.

On green, he took off, and I gave pursuit right away. I smoked his 330Ci-driving cocky ass, and his response was cutting me off at the next intersection, barking his tires and almost putting me into the curb in the process.

This is why I don't particularly try to find BMWs to race now. If they win, they will act all cocky (but what's changed from before the race, anyway?). But if they lose, they will probably either give you the bird or, in cases like mine, cut you off.

Had a similar thing happen with this young kid driving an M3, too. I didn't beat him, but I kept up pretty well. I guess he got ticked off or something, maybe his ego was hurt a bit that he couldn't destroy a lowly Acura... he sped up to a pretty damn fast pace and ran away from me. What's that gonna prove, other than the point that you're a fucking moron with poor sportsmanship (although you can't really call street racing a sports).

I swore off on BMW drivers. I've already turned down 3 races around campus from 3-series drivers. I may race random BMW's, but not around campus. Those sons of bitches would probably find my car and vandalize it.

No personal offense to you, man, but I just can't stand BMW drivers. And the streets back home are littered with BMWs. Fuckers.
I completely understand the cockyness, I see it from other BMW drivers too. However, it IS an excellent car (hence the reason that the automotive press drools over it) and is more than a match for the Type S cars, and a blast to drive!
The M3 should have ripped you a new one, I can't stand great cars with bad drivers.

And I do love racing other BMW's and beating up on them in the CL, it's a lot of fun watching the smirk drop from their faces.

I've owned 2 NSX's (a 94 and a 98 Targa) and as much as I loved them and miss them, I can't say i'm not more excited at the prospect of being on of the first people to own the new V10 M5. I absolutely can't wait and I've owned and driven some amazing vehicles.

But yes, you are correct, a LOT of the BMW drivers (especially the younger kids with them) think they are badass, cocky, and own the road. I think the thrill is ine competition, not if you win or lose. I know it's dangerous and not smart racing on the street, but win or lose (although you'd like to win) it's a rush and it's fun~

I've actually been threatend at the race track with bodily injury when my lowly FWD, automatic, CL TYpe S with an intake whooped up on a 95 LT1 Z28 six speed, a 69 Camaro SS, in the 1/8 mile runs..I have these all on video and its a hoot!
Old 12-19-2004, 02:22 PM
Banned

well if it means anything to you i vaalet park cars .. and my car ihas been in the shop for some warrynty work for like a week

an identical tl type s pulls up, same color, same interior, same spoiler, same year. And i go to park it, and i seriouslly started to cry cause i missed my car os much
Old 12-20-2004, 09:50 AM
Banned

whatever u say dude..............bmw sucks ass.period
THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME. PERIOD
especially the M3
and my friend drives a 328 something or other.............u see i cant tell them apart
dont be mad cause u blew all your money on BULLSHIT!
could have got a better car for your money, like an 05 c6 vette. 400hp 0-60 in 4.1 sec. faster than a $120000 ferrari and looks awsome..........and its only $40000
ill buy one when i pay off my HONDA product
Old 12-20-2004, 09:52 AM
Banned

And they on the other hand look at you and say, Yeah, at least my car's tranny won't break, i'm rear wheel drive with an able chassis that will run rings around you on a twisty road, and my car has much more character!
dude ur just gay :gheyfight:
Old 12-20-2004, 10:15 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Since this thread is already losing its intent, you guys are cracking me up.

I will only say that I would not consider BMW because the local dealer is not modfriendly at all, the reliability after 50k miles simply isn't there, and repair costs post warranty period are akin to the 4'9", 85lb, hairless white guy sentenced to 25years at San Quentin...

But the first 50k miles driving experience is quite wonderful. I'm not too keen on the new styling, but it is okay. Certainly, Acura gives you more bang for the buck, saves quite a bit of cash and even if the tranny flopped, you'd probably pay less for your '02's new tranny than for diagnosing and fixing your '02 Bimmer's power window problem.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:45 AM
Drifting

Old 12-20-2004, 12:32 PM
Racer

whatever u say dude..............bmw sucks ass.period
THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME. PERIOD
especially the M3
and my friend drives a 328 something or other.............u see i cant tell them apart
dont be mad cause u blew all your money on BULLSHIT!
could have got a better car for your money, like an 05 c6 vette. 400hp 0-60 in 4.1 sec. faster than a $120000 ferrari and looks awsome..........and its only $40000
ill buy one when i pay off my HONDA product
<shakes head>

Hey, screw the vette. If I wanted a cavalier interior for 50,000 grand I would have bought one. Speed is secondary to me actually. I could care less if the new Vette does 0-60 in 4.3 Actually. And I for one think Vette's are not attractive really- and about as common as a Honda Civic. Vette's do NOT hold their value at all. That 50,000 dollar vette is worth about 20,000 3 years down the road. I want a car with the engine AND a first class cabin.

And all Acura's DON'T look the same? And all Cadillac's? And all Mercedes? And all Nissan's, Infiniti's, Volvo's, Mazda's, Ford's, Chevy's?

It's called brand recognition...they are meant to look like that because the manufacturers do it that way on purpose

If you think the M3 is then you are really a because it's only one of the most amazing cars out there at any price. Have you ever really driven one?

Mind you, i'm not a hard-core BMW-phile by any means. I love cars period. I owned a speed shop for all cars, not just imports. The 50,000 dollar Corvette may perform pretty close to a Ferrari, but give me that Ferrari any day of the week.

I like the CL...but it has very little character, a second rate cabin as compared to other 30,000 dollar cars (C'mon look at Audi's and Lexus interiors at the same price), handles not too well, breaks pretty easy, has tons of squeaks and rattles, paint job is not good, and the auto's do not hold their value at all. I get reminded of the Honda Accord roots way too easily in this car. Other than the motor, that is.

That, and the acura name doesn't quite have the panache of Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc.

So you go on and buy your Vette. Whatever floats your boat. In about 2 years you'll find the 05 Vette for about $22,995...and keep your Cavalier interior. I'll be waving at you in my M5 sitting in the lap of luxury.

God save us from the arrogant pricks.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

TL is a wonderful car...until your transmission go Kaboom...make your own decision. For me, if I were you, I would run away from TL/Cl/Acura/Honda...yes run, not walk.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Banned

<shakes head>

Hey, screw the vette. If I wanted a cavalier interior for 50,000 grand I would have bought one. Speed is secondary to me actually. I could care less if the new Vette does 0-60 in 4.3 Actually. And I for one think Vette's are not attractive really- and about as common as a Honda Civic. Vette's do NOT hold their value at all. That 50,000 dollar vette is worth about 20,000 3 years down the road. I want a car with the engine AND a first class cabin.

And all Acura's DON'T look the same? And all Cadillac's? And all Mercedes? And all Nissan's, Infiniti's, Volvo's, Mazda's, Ford's, Chevy's?

It's called brand recognition...they are meant to look like that because the manufacturers do it that way on purpose

If you think the M3 is then you are really a because it's only one of the most amazing cars out there at any price. Have you ever really driven one?

Mind you, i'm not a hard-core BMW-phile by any means. I love cars period. I owned a speed shop for all cars, not just imports. The 50,000 dollar Corvette may perform pretty close to a Ferrari, but give me that Ferrari any day of the week.

I like the CL...but it has very little character, a second rate cabin as compared to other 30,000 dollar cars (C'mon look at Audi's and Lexus interiors at the same price), handles not too well, breaks pretty easy, has tons of squeaks and rattles, paint job is not good, and the auto's do not hold their value at all. I get reminded of the Honda Accord roots way too easily in this car. Other than the motor, that is.

That, and the acura name doesn't quite have the panache of Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc.

So you go on and buy your Vette. Whatever floats your boat. In about 2 years you'll find the 05 Vette for about $22,995...and keep your Cavalier interior. I'll be waving at you in my M5 sitting in the lap of luxury.

God save us from the arrogant pricks.
when u buy an m5 ill buy a viper
only 25 and can afford an m5.........cmon man quite fronting on me
spoiled little my bro owns a lexus ls 400 but prefers my car
and ive driven a benz s500 so i know luxury and beemer aint it. ive also driven both of my friends beemers, now thats a crappy interior. he just totaled his 3 series and is seriously contemplating buying an acura just to beat my car
............and if u dont like it...................blow me!
ps. the m3 still looks like all the other beemers
Old 12-20-2004, 01:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by randomwalk101
TL is a wonderful car...until your transmission go Kaboom...make your own decision. For me, if I were you, I would run away from TL/Cl/Acura/Honda...yes run, not walk.
u must own an acura, right? why else would u be in this forum. if its so terrible sell it and leave this forum
Old 12-20-2004, 01:05 PM
lover and fighter

when u buy an m5 ill buy a viper
only 25 and can afford an m5.........cmon man quite fronting on me
spoiled little my bro owns a lexus ls 400 but prefers my car
and ive driven a benz s500 so i know luxury and beemer aint it. ive also driven both of my friends beemers, now thats a crappy interior. he just totaled his 3 series and is seriously contemplating buying an acura just to beat my car
............and if u dont like it...................blow me!

Now, that isn't very nice. Being spoiled is a matter of opinion, having a lot of cash is a matter of fact. There are a lot of members on this board, young and old, who have serious bank. There are some who are spoiled, some who worked for their money, some who are full of shi+. But, just e careful about calling someone out because you might get owN3D pretty quickly.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:07 PM
lover and fighter

u must own an acura, right? why else would u be in this forum. if its so terrible sell it and leave this forum
He's been around quite awhile, Mr. Aug2004.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by r10apple
Now, that isn't very nice. Being spoiled is a matter of opinion, having a lot of cash is a matter of fact. There are a lot of members on this board, young and old, who have serious bank. There are some who are spoiled, some who worked for their money, some who are full of shi+. But, just e careful about calling someone out because you might get owN3D pretty quickly.
owned huh? whatever the fuk that means. i believe some people on this board are full of shit an d have no money, yes im calling them on it.
as for u...........keep ur nose where it belongs............out of my business

Quick Reply: Convince me to buy a 2002 TL-S!!!!