Conversion done, now SRS on

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Go Brewers!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Conversion done, now SRS on

So I got a bunch of LED's the other week and didn't have a chance to put them in until today. Finally got it done too! Getting the dash off was easy and obviously the plug and play LED's were easy. I wanted to do the Fog, Cruise/TCS, Sun Roof and Select/Reset buttons as well. These were slightly more difficult; I used the DIY at LEDautomotive.com and the pictures look much larger than they actually are. Never-the-less, I finally finished getting my fat fingers to put LED's in the little bulb holders and soldering them in. I got white #74 LED's for the dash from v-leds.com and they seem dimmer than I expected them to be. I was in the garage with the door closed (still has window), so I'm not sure if that is the cause too. I'll have to take it apart again later to see if there is a filter I can take off to allow more light through. Have other people who converted their dash to LED experienced the same thing?

I can post pics when I get my camera and it gets darker.

The only thing is, now that I have it all back together, my SRS light came on. I am not sure if it is related to having my dashboard apart or if it is coincidence. Is the SRS light triggered by a trouble code? I see that there is another thread about an SRS light problem. Not sure if this is the 'season' for this to happen, I have never seen it before.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Just FYI there are no SRS related components near the instrument cluster persay. Most likely a coinkydink but since you had the gauge cluster apart you do add the chance of a short in the SRS light circuit.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Did you have the ignition on at all while removing the dash aor at any part with the cluster out?

Follow the srs reset diy and reset it. If it doesnt come back on your good to go

http://www.geocities.com/myintegra96/srs.html
Old 03-23-2008, 01:32 PM
Go Brewers!

As a matter of fast I did have it on without having everything in. I had it on multiple time to test the lights. I'll Have to try the DIY later after I get through with all this Easter stuff.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Go Brewers!

Wanted to thank fsttyms1 for the link to reset the SRS light on my car!
I also was able to find this thread (Ironically named 'SRS light reset') with a few more details on what connector to look for.
It did take me a couple tries to get it; I tried it first with a paper clip and had no luck with timing, next I tried it with a 2 inch
length of speaker wire and still couldn't get it, finally I cut a foot long length of wire and jammed it in the terminals and was
able to comfortably reset my light.

I didn't see a decent picture of where our MES connector is, so I decided to put up what I had done. In the third and second
picture I was practically upside-down to take the picture, so you'd have to be upside-down to see it as well. I pulled the
connector down and the first picture is with the speaker wire inserted in the connector. The fourth picture are the tools I
used: the failed paper clip and short speaker wire, and finally the long and successful speaker wire.

I was also wondering if anyone has replaced their stock instrument cluster lights with #74 LED's and had a desirable outcome.
Mine are very hot-spotty and not as bright as I was expecting.

Here are a few pictures that I've taken after I got my SRS light reset.
Note: They are darker than they actually are, but you still can see the hot spots and I think I missed a bulb on the gear indicator.

----------
----------Large

----------
----------Large

----------
----------Large

----------
----------Large

----------
----------Large
Old 03-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator

on the srs reset and pics.

As for your lights, i did the ones from LEDautomotive and mine arent like that. There is a small dim area on the tach but not like that. I dont have any thing like what you have on the speedo either.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:01 PM
Go Brewers!

I was thinking about going with some new LED's that (from the look of them) should disperse light
better. I saw some on http://autolumination.com.
Did you get this HM Wedge LED or the PM Wedge?

These are the ones I am thinking about getting to replace what I just put in from v-leds.com .

Also, on another note. I wasn't able to push the bulb into the plastic base past where the bulb
expands and still put it into the instrument cluster. I literally took a pliers and was trying to push
it in until I cracked one and decided to pull the bulb out so I could fit it in.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Senior Moderator

I dont remember what bulbs i had, i think they were the top ones. I didnt have any issues pushing them in.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice work...

i am shying away from interior LED's because of those hotspot issues you described.