Concerned about your tranny? There is light at the end of the tunnel if you can wait

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Concerned about your tranny? There is light at the end of the tunnel if you can wait

Hey guys...I know everyone is scared sh*tless about our tranny's breaking and loosing more $$$ on potential resale value. All I can say is that if you wait just long enough, hopefully all will be fixed in a couple of months.

For about a year now, I've been colaborating with a law firm that specializes in pursuing multi-million dollar class action law suits. I'm not in any position to give any details, but the goal here is for Honda to replace thousands of TL's & CL's with a NEW & REDESIGNED transmission and not a "rebuilt" one.

They have proof that Honda is fully aware of the issue and Honda even predicted that the peak of the failures are going to happen in 2005. Keep in mind, not all TL's have a bad tranny. Some actually have a redesigned tranny, but since soo many TL's have been sold with the "older" model, it is simply too expensive to replace all of them. At this moment, Honda is simply taking the broken trannys, patch them up, then redistribute them even though average life expectancy is short.

Don't think that Honda can't design a reliable transmission. That is completely false. The truth of the matter is, it is just too much $$$ to fix it right. The website of the lawfirm is http://www.pkns.com/ and the guys in charge of this case is James & Matt. Feel free to shoot them an email. I'm sure they can use all the info you have to tell them (although they already have hundreds of other TL & CL owners to back this up)
Old 04-08-2004, 01:06 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the Thread and the available info you have supplied. Nice to have a security blanket like that. It would be amazing if we all got brand new designed trannies in 2005. I assume like you said it would be too much money for them to replace all of them BUT, HELLO, we all paid for them!! it's not too fair to say "ya, it is a garbage trannie but it'll cost too much to fix" they should have thought of that when they build the damn car. The profit range of a multi million dollar company should come second to reliability and customer retention. I think the whole reason most of us bought a HONDA engine was because of the reliability of their product. Not only did we go for a HONDA engine, we went for ACURA's style and class as a luxury viechle. If there was these trannie problems 6-8 years ago most of us would have heard of it before purchasing a TL, and many of us may have chosen another car. I don't think the Accords are having the same problems....we should get a little more consideration and effort on their part to satisfy and rectify our problem.

Bottom line if the problem isn't fixed enitrely, not a bloody knuckle fight for each of us when our trannies go, most of us won't buy another TL, maybe not another Acura. If you have little to no repeat customers you will be worring about alot more than the cost of a bunch of trannies (write-off for the company anyway no tax for them), they'll suffer a whole generation of TL users looking twords Infinity, Lexus(not me personally), Audi and even Volvo (the new S80 is over 300hp and all wheel drive, with electronically controlled suspension for sport, reg or luxury responce!)
Old 04-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you've seen the latest car edition of Consumer Reports, you might notice that the ratings for our TL's (throught the transmissions) are dropping. They used to be a nice green dot, but have moved to neutral. If more tranny's fail, that will drop more, and there goes our resale value. But it will also impact Acura as a company with a high-reliability image...something they've had as an edge, and the reason many of us ever considered them. Let's all hope there's a classy result here!
Old 04-08-2004, 05:37 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have an explanation of the difference between the redesigned tranny
and the remanufactured one?

/Steve
Old 04-15-2004, 06:28 PM
El Presidente

^buh buh buh buh bump
Old 04-15-2004, 07:13 PM
Dr. TLS

The thing that worries me the most is I had one of the first TLS ever built. I have 34,000 miles on it and it's still on the first tranny. I take care of the car but drive it hard ALL of the time. My worry is that I'll get past 100,000 miles and then the tranny craps out and I'm left to foot the bill. It's kind of unfair that my original possibly defective tranny was never replaced or repaired by Honda. I love the car but sometimes this does bother me and I start almost wishing my tranny goes out before 100k. I hope we can get somewhere through this avenue that edgalang has found.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:31 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vandy786
I love the car but sometimes this does bother me and I start almost wishing my tranny goes out before 100k. I hope we can get somewhere through this avenue that edgalang has found.
I wouldnt worry about it. I for one can guarantee you that my 2nd tranny will be replaced before I go past 100K. 90K should be a good time to start playing around.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:41 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
they'll suffer a whole generation of TL users looking twords Infinity, Lexus(not me personally), Audi and even Volvo (the new S80 is over 300hp and all wheel drive, with electronically controlled suspension for sport, reg or luxury responce!)
Ummm... I don't think you want a Volvo! We had a '92 and just got rid of it a few months ago for the '99 TL. It did last to 278,000km on the original tranny, although it definitely needed to be replaced. The car still ran and looked almost new (no bad rust problems like older Hondas!!)... but we sold it. That car was in the shop wwwwaaaaayyyyyy too often! Even the Volvo techs don't drive Volvo.. they thought I'd be quite happy switching over to Toyota or Honda for the 'new' car!! Volvo (loved the RWD - except in winter) was a nice car to drive, but VERY unreliable and expensive to fix!
Old 04-15-2004, 09:11 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

I saw a half hour show on the new Volvo s80. Basically volvo has realizied they have been missing out on the luxury sport market, hence the newly designed s80 and c70. The suspension was killer through the turns when it was in sport mode. and with ove 300hp and AWD , try and name something that lacks there. I personally wouldn't but look in the next few years Volvo will make a strong appearance in this market....
Old 04-16-2004, 07:42 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vandy786
The thing that worries me the most is I had one of the first TLS ever built. I have 34,000 miles on it and it's still on the first tranny. I take care of the car but drive it hard ALL of the time. My worry is that I'll get past 100,000 miles and then the tranny craps out and I'm left to foot the bill. It's kind of unfair that my original possibly defective tranny was never replaced or repaired by Honda. I love the car but sometimes this does bother me and I start almost wishing my tranny goes out before 100k. I hope we can get somewhere through this avenue that edgalang has found.
All you have to do is drive into an Acura dealer and tell them the symptoms of a failed tranny and they will replace it. They don't even test it to see if there is anything wrong with it. Besides, when your tranny starts to fail, it doesn't fail completely the first time. Mine had symptoms for 3 months. When i took it in and told them what it was doing, they said, "OK, you need a new tranny. That will be 3 weeks. Here's a rental car."

Of course the bad thing was the replaced tranny failed too.