Comptech - "You pay for what you get"

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 08:52 PM
mushroom mushroom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Comptech - "You pay for what you get"

I'm irritated by people trying to justify their reasoning for buying the Comptech headers. It is apparently obvious that many current Comptech owners are a little distraught about spending three times the amount for such a similar product. The only means to feel better about spending the extra ~ $700 is to bash the alternative cheaper product (OBX). For example "You pay for what you get"...lol. Everyone knows that there are always exceptions to every rule..

Just like Juniorbean said,

"The headers have a lifetime warranty.... so even if there's a remote chance that something could go wrong... you're covered."

and

"The OBX Headers are so cheap b/c they are only producing the headers. They bought the design from Comptech and began making them. Comptech had to absorb all of the R&D, testing, and marketing fees, therefore, their prices are much higher."

Consider attending few accounting courses then maybe you’ll understand how OBX can sell a similar/identical product at a lower cost without sacrificing quality.

Quote of the day:
“Those who know better don’t talk.”
Old 10-16-2002, 08:59 PM
Peach Tea

Re: Comptech - "You pay for what you get"

Originally posted by bug230

Quote of the day:
“Those who know better don’t talk.”
then why did you start this thread

post in one of the 1000's of other OBX threads
Old 10-16-2002, 09:04 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

BadazzTL is in his *****ing period. lol

like a week ago he wanted OBX headers, he would sell his liver to get them. now he says there are **** :p

so dont take what he says too seriously, he always changes his mind....

@cUr@-TL

And i wont even reply to his reply... (i dont have what he says)
|
|
|
\ /
\/
Old 10-16-2002, 09:07 PM
Peach Tea

Originally posted by @cUr@-TL
ahhh shut up ricer
go order another streetglow catalog and put more windshield washer nozzles under your car to simulate undercar neon
Old 10-16-2002, 09:14 PM
mushroom mushroom

Originally posted by badazzTL

Oh and my intake was made out of the same material as AEM, just to show you that it really doesn't matter that the headers are made of the same material, they still can crack, and not to mention the welds looked sloppy in the pics. Do you really think OBX can charge that much less just because comptech did all the R&D? get real
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by sssick

"Do you know how much R&D for headers costs????? I would say its around a half a millon dollars, or more. How many AV6 headers do you think comptech has sold? Plus another reason they charge so much is they had the market cornered on these headers....supply and demand."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet another good point.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:00 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am more than happy with my comptech headers.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:16 PM
mushroom mushroom

Originally posted by BlackShadow
I am more than happy with my comptech headers.
That’s not my point. I'm sure there are Comptech and OBX owners that are just as happy as you are. It’s just that the OBX owners have an extra ~$700 in their pockets. I’m not trying to be rude, I'm just pointing out that the products are WAY too similar to have a ~$700 difference.

Another little bit to add is that there are only a few people on this board that are offering negative remarks toward the OBX product. I'm not being stereotypical here, I'm just pointing out a few sour grapes in the bunch. I would be pissed too if I paid $1,100 for a product when I could have gotten the (same as or very similar) product for $400.

Basically I'm just trying to say don't bash a product just because it cost less.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:03 AM
Drifting

I agree with everyone. People should stop bashing the OBX headers. Be happy that there is a competitor now for Comptech and thus competition leads to innovation (most of the time). For those who bought Comptechs, be happy with your decision, if you don't like them...sell them. There will still be people to buy them. And those who bought the OBX, don't keep pushing it in our faces that your bought them for a lot of less...that in my opinion is only asking for a fight. It's like arguing with a drunk person. Everyone has there reasons for buying what they bought...or I hope you had some sort of reason or else you have more to worry about then what you paid for what you got.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:58 AM
Advanced

Re: Comptech - "You pay for what you get"

Originally posted by bug230

"The headers have a lifetime warranty.... so even if there's a remote chance that something could go wrong... you're covered."

Any fine print in that warranty?
Old 10-17-2002, 01:04 AM
mushroom mushroom

Originally posted by peiqinglong
I agree with everyone. People should stop bashing the OBX headers. Be happy that there is a competitor now for Comptech and thus competition leads to innovation (most of the time). For those who bought Comptechs, be happy with your decision, if you don't like them...sell them. There will still be people to buy them. And those who bought the OBX, don't keep pushing it in our faces that your bought them for a lot of less...that in my opinion is only asking for a fight. It's like arguing with a drunk person. Everyone has there reasons for buying what they bought...or I hope you had some sort of reason or else you have more to worry about then what you paid for what you got.
Very well put. Thank you peiqinglong
Old 10-17-2002, 01:12 AM
Instructor

Old 10-17-2002, 07:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just like Juniorbean said,

and

"The OBX Headers are so cheap b/c they are only producing the headers. They bought the design from Comptech and began making them. Comptech had to absorb all of the R&D, testing, and marketing fees, therefore, their prices are much higher."

There are few things about what is being said that do not fit. First it is being reported that there is more HP from OBX headers, if that is so and if they purchased the design from Comptech, then they surely had to make some R & D and design changes to get a performance increase.

Next look at the lifetime quarantee, what does this cover, labor for replacement of the headers, and damage to the car. What if it does not fit during install, having your car sit while waiting for a new set does not sound like a viable option.

The cost could very well be in what kind of metal they use. Take for example Snap-On or Mac tools vs. Craftsman tools, all are guaranteed for life, but the first two cost three times what the Craftman's cost. The reason, superior grade metal. Will you likely ever need to replace the Craftsman tool, not likely.

There are pro's and con's for every argument, be confident that you made the right decision and live with it.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:50 AM
still a Masshole

word roadman!
Old 10-17-2002, 08:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason, superior grade metal.
Don't forget Snap-Ons VERY expensive method of selling/distributing tools (i.e. guy in the truck). That adds significantly to the cost.

Now that OBX is on the scene, Comptech will likely have to lower their price, to keep sales, and look for OBX to creep up into the $600 range.

OBX's R&D can't be much. Once you have a workable design (that they got from Comptech), it's relatively easy to look for areas to improve. It's something I could do in my garage, given a decent set of tools. Always easier to improve an existing design, than to come up with a new one.

Todd
Old 10-17-2002, 08:30 AM
Burning Brakes

T Ho,

"Don't forget Snap-Ons VERY expensive method of selling/distributing tools (i.e. guy in the truck). That adds significantly to the cost. "

This method is actually the least expensive method of selling/distributing a product, each driver is an independant retailer and directly targets his product to the consumer that is most likely to purchase their product. Maintaining a entire Sears store and staff to sell Craftsman tools is a far greater expense.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
OK... this topic is not really necessary. What it comes down to is purchase what you feel comfortable with. Both headers produce similar gains. Keep in mind that there's only one dyno for the OBX headers.. so it's possible that the person who got the higher gains then Comptech might have been a fluke... just any two CL's or TL's can dyno with different numbers stock. It just happens. Or they may have made a slight change... whatever.

The point it that it's competition and Comptech no longer has a monopoly on any one mod. If you're more comfortable paying $1k+, then do it. If you want to save money and go with the OBX.. fine. For me... I'd rather buy the better priced item, but that's me.

This topic is closed. There are several other OBX topics going on now... so please see those for more info....