Comptech Filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 10:38 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Comptech Filter

I know this has been covered before but I would like some fresh opinions on this, if any.

I am thinking about buying the Comptech drop in filter, what is the difference between the OEM and the Comptech filter? Also, is it worth the $55?
Old 06-26-2002, 10:41 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
most likely wouldnt be noticeable, maybe 1 or 2 horses, some increase in gas mileage, no extra noise. Removing the resonator will get you some extra noise, maybe like another couple horses, but none will equal a CAI.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

The Comptech filter allows the car to breathe better then the OEM filter which is why you'll see better gas mileage and a little bit of HP gains. I think it's a smart decision to get one if you don't want to go the intake route. It's definitely better for your car then OEM, so it's a good investment.
Old 06-26-2002, 10:46 AM
Drifting

Thanks, guys!
Old 06-27-2002, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just got the comptech filter a few days ago...and it didn't come with oil on it...it came with a lil oil bottle which i used to spray on it. But there wasn't enough oil to spray on both sides of the filter...parts of the filter didn't have oil on it...
Has anyone encountered this problem, not having enough oil??
does it matter?? Because i want to put in the filter already...
Old 06-27-2002, 11:38 AM
Burning Brakes

get the K&N filter before the comptech...the comptech filter just looks cheap to me...If you are going for a drop in, get the K&N..I have the K&N and the resonator removed on my stock airbox and I am extremely satisfied with this setup..it sounds great, not too loud, and I picked up a couple HP in the process.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:02 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bigman
but none will equal a CAI.
And what makes you say that :p

I'm racing a TL with CAI tomorrow at moroso 1/4 mile.

We both have 99's TL (4-speed) Both cars are almost Identical. We are going to weight them too. The only difference is that he has a CAI and I have the filter. I already beat him on the street, but he swears his CAI is better than mine , so we are going to the track.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Is it probable that a CAI would damage the car in the long run? I'm just worried that if my car ever got in trouble that the bodyshop would blame the CAI.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:43 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by accordv6
get the K&N filter before the comptech...the comptech filter just looks cheap to me...If you are going for a drop in, get the K&N..I have the K&N and the resonator removed on my stock airbox and I am extremely satisfied with this setup..it sounds great, not too loud, and I picked up a couple HP in the process.
Thanks for nothing, man! I already ordered the Comptech yesterday. Oh well. BTW, what's with this oil on the filter deal? Do I have to re-oil the filter?
Old 06-27-2002, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by thephantom

Thanks for nothing, man! I already ordered the Comptech yesterday. Oh well. BTW, what's with this oil on the filter deal? Do I have to re-oil the filter?

the filter didn't come with oil on it, rather, comptech gave me a lil bottle of oil to spray onto the filter...but it wasn't enough to spray both side of the filter...
i was just asking if anyone knows if that's how it's suppose to be, or do i need to buy more oil to spray onto it???
Old 06-27-2002, 01:35 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm thinking you only need to oil the bottom side of the filter that is exposed to the air and dirt. I was thinking about it and I used to have a CAI on my last car and when I cleaned the filter element I would only oil the outside of the filter, not the inside (cone filter) I bet you only are supposed to oil the side facing down, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Keep the Comptech filter Steve. Did you ever read Road Rage's posts on K&N's? Have a read;

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...ghlight=filter

gohan. You Japanese or something? Funny screen name bud....Rice
Old 06-27-2002, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by TUFF GONG

Keep the Comptech filter Steve. Did you ever read Road Rage's posts on K&N's? Have a read;

no, i'm not japanese...i just like the DBZ character gohan...hehe:p
Old 06-27-2002, 08:58 PM
Advanced

Does anyone remember what side is up?? Is the red or yellow side face up????
Old 06-27-2002, 10:20 PM
Having Fun?

BTW, what's with this oil on the filter deal? Do I have to re-oil the filter?
Yah, it comes with a little bottle of oil. Every other oil change you need to re-oil the filter (or sooner if you remove resonator cause it'll get dirty faster )

The little bottle that came with it was just enough for me to oil both sides.

The instructions say to oil any exposed foam filter which I assumed was both sides

Oh, and it is a pain in ass to get the air box closed properly, the rear most tab (closest to the driver) is really hard to get back in since the comptech filter doesn't fit nearly as well as the stock filter.
Old 06-27-2002, 11:43 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MikesTypeS
Does anyone remember what side is up?? Is the red or yellow side face up????
Red faces down

Yellow faces up

Old 06-28-2002, 08:24 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by TUFF GONG

Thanks for the link! I will keep in and try it out. Now, ? #2, where can I get more oil? Is it a special kind of oil? Do I really have to re-oil? OK, that was ? #3, #4 also.
Old 06-28-2002, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by copland007

Yah, it comes with a little bottle of oil. Every other oil change you need to re-oil the filter (or sooner if you remove resonator cause it'll get dirty faster )

The little bottle that came with it was just enough for me to oil both sides.

The instructions say to oil any exposed foam filter which I assumed was both sides

Oh, and it is a pain in ass to get the air box closed properly, the rear most tab (closest to the driver) is really hard to get back in since the comptech filter doesn't fit nearly as well as the stock filter.
i went ahead and dropped the comptech air filter in...hope it has enough oil on it to keep the air clean
i'll probably check it b4 my next oil change which is due soon...
and ur damn rite the air box was a pain in the ass to close...it was almost impossible for me to reach the rear most tab...i had to use the screw driver to move it cuz my fingers couldn't reach it.
but in the end, i finally got it in....took me about 20 mins to do the swap.

btw, did anyone here with the filter feel a difference?? more power?? better sound??
how much hp gain r we suppose to get from these filters??
Old 06-28-2002, 02:30 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the link! I will keep in and try it out. Now, ? #2, where can I get more oil? Is it a special kind of oil? Do I really have to re-oil? OK, that was ? #3, #4 also.

the oil came with the filter and u can buy the oil through comptech. the product number came with the filter, so if u need more, contact comptech. I don't think it's a special kind of oil, just some oil that comptech prefers...and re-oil is done when u clean the filter...
This is what i think, hope i'm rite...
Old 06-28-2002, 04:47 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Fresh ideas not really filling things in, are they?

First, there is plenty of oil provided with the filter. If you do not have enough, you are clearly applying too much! ead the directions - they are quite clear on this. Foam filters need you to knead the oil through the filter media, until it is uniformly distributed. Then, you should carefully blot off the excess. Too much oil will cause puddles in your air box, and even worse, coat the the throttle body, downstrream sensors, etc.

I would not use any old oil - these oils generally have formualtions that provided the proepr filtering and stay put, and are not easily dislodged by water or water vapor. They also generally contain an ingredient which helps generate an ES charge, to further improve the filtering. Speculative second guessing is not indicated.

BTW, I found a filter I much prefer - Holley's Track Flow - not sure if they make one for TL's, check the website. It is a better design and as or more free flowing than the K&N. Uses quality American vs. Asian cotton - they claim it is better filter as a result. Using oit on the 2003 SVT Cobra.