Cold start and rough idle on 99-01 TL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 01:57 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cold start and rough idle on 99-01 TL?

Anyone else having any cold start problems or rough idles on their TL? I've had mine just about two weeks under one full year and have racked up about 18K miles. Now it's been a lot harder during cold starts (cranks for 2 or 3 seconds before starting) and I'm shaking at idle more (to the point I hear a rattle under dash). I use synthetic oil, have all maintenance done on regular intervals and otherwise take damn good care of my baby. No engine mods or anything either.

Any thoughts?

------------------
2000 Acura 3.2 TL Black
*Zenetti Crow 18" Chrome Wheels with Nitto 555 225/40/18 tires.
*Comptech Springs
*2002 TL Tails
Old 04-19-2001, 02:03 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
It is normal for 2000 TL to do that.... because they have some problems with both the engine and the ECU computer...

They realized this problem long time ago.... but still don't have a recall yet... It's likely that you will also run into some problem with the Engine Check Light keep on poping up... This is just sad... cuz it makes feel that my car is a POS.

You can take it to the dealer but I doubt that they will really do something about it...

If you have any more questions regarding to the knocking, engine light, or ECU computer bug... just let me know... I will be glad to help you out.....
Old 04-19-2001, 03:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by ryang:
Anyone else having any cold start problems or rough idles on their TL? I've had mine just about two weeks under one full year and have racked up about 18K miles. Now it's been a lot harder during cold starts (cranks for 2 or 3 seconds before starting) and I'm shaking at idle more (to the point I hear a rattle under dash). I use synthetic oil, have all maintenance done on regular intervals and otherwise take damn good care of my baby. No engine mods or anything either.

Any thoughts?

i guess all the TLC you can give the TL doesnt mean s***.
Old 04-19-2001, 05:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

What happen to those Y2K TL.Is it true have bug in the ECU computer(BTW what is it),i don't have this problem yet.What will it do to my TL...damm Y2K bug.......

------------------
2000 3.2TL Firepepper red w/o nav
stock spoiler
Comtech springs
Custom front Grill
Bosch 4+ platinum spark plug
25% Tint/Mud guards/
acura-tl.com sticker at front windshield
Old 04-19-2001, 07:33 AM
Pro

Cool

Originally posted by SL1200MK4:
It is normal for 2000 TL to do that.... because they have some problems with both the engine and the ECU computer...

They realized this problem long time ago.... but still don't have a recall yet... It's likely that you will also run into some problem with the Engine Check Light keep on poping up... This is just sad... cuz it makes feel that my car is a POS.

You can take it to the dealer but I doubt that they will really do something about it...

If you have any more questions regarding to the knocking, engine light, or ECU computer bug... just let me know... I will be glad to help you out.....
I have an absolutely fabulous, gem of a car, with a gem of an engine. No problems whatsoever. No engine problems, no engine light issues , NOTHING. I would presume the same for a vast majority of us.

Maybe you have a lemon. In which case, try contacting a lawyer and get your car replaced.

just my 2c

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 04-19-2001, 09:25 AM
Intermediate

i had some rough idling about 2 months ago...i left my TL in the cold for about 2 weeks...then when i first tried to start it up it was fine...but then it was idling very roughly...i could see the Tachometer jumping between 1000 & 2000 it was wierd...but after driving around for a day it was gone and hasn't happened since...so it never concerned me...am i taking this thing too lightly???
Old 04-19-2001, 10:22 PM
Intermediate

I had that problem too. There was one time I started my car, the whole car was shaking. I went outside to see what was wrong, the exhaust were like shaking like crazy. I turned off the car, and turn it back on and it started to shake again so I hit the gas paddle a bit and quickly shifted to D5 and drove off cause it would shut down if I didnt his the gas paddle. There was engine check and TCS signal lights were on. I went to Acura and ask what was the problem they just said they didnt find anything wrong with it.
Old 04-19-2001, 11:48 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Okay..... I admit that my car is a lemon and I am trying hard to get rid of it...

However, it is true that 2000 TL have ECU computer bug. There are 3 reasons that will casue the engine light to pop up

1. gas cap is not tighten up enough

2. you have extra gas got stock in the "combustion chamber" (sleeping) Which can be fixed by adjusting the fan so that it cools the car down after the engine is shut off.

3. That's more or the less related to the ECU computer bug.

The engine light is a commom problem... I know one TL owner that lives in my condo have the same problem. Just like the noisy seats........

BTW Acura Canada sucks and their customer service is just bad...