Cold Air versus Short Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001, 02:39 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Air versus Short Ram?

What is the difference between the two? Why would somebody need a bypass valve or not need one? What sort of HP and torque gains are people getting from both of these intakes?

As you can probably tell, I'm wondering if it is a worthwhile investment. More so than headers for power-for-the-buck?

Keith
Old 08-06-2001, 03:23 PM
Acura TL-S

Re: Cold Air versus Short Ram?

Originally posted by trippin555
What is the difference between the two? Why would somebody need a bypass valve or not need one? What sort of HP and torque gains are people getting from both of these intakes?

As you can probably tell, I'm wondering if it is a worthwhile investment. More so than headers for power-for-the-buck?

Keith
Short ram stays completely inside ur engine bay, replacing the stock air box, but increasing the air flow. The CAI (cold air intake) as the name suggests, actually gets a lot more cold air, as it runs out of the engine bay and to the front lower bumper, right next to the wheel well. it gets much cooler air, as its not affected by the engine heat nearly as much, especially when the car is moving. The CAI definitely gives u more power gains, and more importantly more torque. there were a couple of people who posted the dynos, and the CAI gave u an increase of about 2-6lbs of torque over most of the rpm range. the short ram did about half of this from what i remember seeing (cant back up too much cuz i couldnt find the dynos.) but i had the short ram on my 00TL and though the Ram makes a nicer growl at WOT, the CAI is felt a lot more in both power and gas mileage. it is defnitely worth the $200+ investment. The bypass valve is just a $40 piece of mind gives u some extra protection against water getting sucked in to the engine. i decided to go with it just so i wont find myself kicking my own butt saying "why o' why didnt u spend the extra $40 to make sure the water didnt get in" cuz after all the engine is worth a lot more money and trouble to fix.

finally, it is in no way a better bang for the buck then headers... or at least, if u can actually spend the kinda buck u need for the headers.... 30+hp, even over only 2k rpm range is still a lot of power. ideally get both, but if u have to get only one, i'd get the headers (which is how i did it, headers 1st, CAI 2nd.)
Old 08-06-2001, 03:54 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: Cold Air versus Short Ram?

Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for in a reply. My Type S is at the dealership right now getting its first oil change, the recall fixes, and I had a couple of rattles for them to look at. When I pick it up I was going to get a quote on some of the upgrades that I am interested in, but I haven't quite decided what, if anything, I really want to do. I can afford it, but I still want to justify spending my hard earned money. I was thinking about the following mods, in order of preference and likely hood that I'll get it:

1) Comptech Springs
2) Comptech Sways
3) AEM Cold Air Intake
4) Comptech Headers
5) Comptech Exhaust

It's about $2800 for parts from the web site (I'm not sure what it would cost from the dealership, we'll find out this afternoon), plus I'd imagine somewhere around $1000-$1500 in labor. That's quite a chunk of change to part with on a depreciating asset. But if it makes it that much more fun... it would be worth it.
Old 08-06-2001, 06:49 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: Re: Cold Air versus Short Ram?

I just got back from Acura 101 West in Calabasas and got the following prices:

Comptech Springs $299.95 parts, $70 alignment, $330 install
Comptech Sways $329.95, $210 install
Comptech Headers $1249.95 parts, $350 install
Comptech Exhaust $665.95 parts, $70 install
AEM Cold Air Intake $140 install

He didn't have a reliable provider of AEM CAI's, so he didn't quote me a price.

The install prices of the springs and sways seems really high to me, so I am going to try to get a price at an independent Honda/Acura place where I used to get my Legend serviced. How do the other prices look to everyone? I realize I can order the parts here for cheaper, which I'd probably do.

They need to sell this installed as a $4000 'Comptech Sport Package'

-Keith
Old 08-06-2001, 07:37 PM
Instructor

WARRANTY?

The guy at the Acura dealership told me that a CAI would void my warranty, no questions asked. He said something about removing some sensor and that tying into the electrical system. Is this true? Anyone have experience with this?

-Burt
Old 08-07-2001, 07:51 AM
Acura TL-S

Re: Re: Re: Cold Air versus Short Ram?

Originally posted by trippin555
Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for in a reply. My Type S is at the dealership right now getting its first oil change, the recall fixes, and I had a couple of rattles for them to look at. When I pick it up I was going to get a quote on some of the upgrades that I am interested in, but I haven't quite decided what, if anything, I really want to do. I can afford it, but I still want to justify spending my hard earned money. I was thinking about the following mods, in order of preference and likely hood that I'll get it:

1) Comptech Springs
2) Comptech Sways
3) AEM Cold Air Intake
4) Comptech Headers
5) Comptech Exhaust

It's about $2800 for parts from the web site (I'm not sure what it would cost from the dealership, we'll find out this afternoon), plus I'd imagine somewhere around $1000-$1500 in labor. That's quite a chunk of change to part with on a depreciating asset. But if it makes it that much more fun... it would be worth it.
i'd go with tires vs. comptech exhaust... much more important. in fact i would make it one of my first mods, right after springs. the CAI u can do urself, its not a difficult procedure. sways should not cost so much to install.
Old 08-07-2001, 02:14 PM
Advanced

Re: Re: Cold Air versus Short Ram?

Originally posted by ZodiakTL

finally, it is in no way a better bang for the buck then headers... or at least, if u can actually spend the kinda buck u need for the headers.... 30+hp, even over only 2k rpm range is still a lot of power
wow you get that much of a gain from the headers on a TL.
Old 08-07-2001, 03:32 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
You only get the extra hp at 5000 + RPMs. None to 1 to 2 extra hp below 5000 RPMs.

Headers give you zip at low RPMs.
Old 08-07-2001, 07:29 PM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by dj5
You only get the extra hp at 5000 + RPMs. None to 1 to 2 extra hp below 5000 RPMs.

Headers give you zip at low RPMs.
if u'r going to make corrections, make them correctly

its a 1-6hp increase up to 5000 rpm, and then 5-32hp gain from 5000rpm to 6800rpm. u can check out the dyno on comptech's website here:

http://solar.innercite.com/comptech/product231.html