coilovers or springs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2001, 04:06 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question coilovers or springs?

I know springs like comptechs lowers ur car and gives u great handling with very lil side effects. Would coilovers like apexi's be a lot stiffer than springs and would it handle a lot better or the only difference is that u could adjust the height? I know theres a big difference in the cost of the spring vs coilovers, but how about installation costs?
Old 03-23-2001, 06:02 PM
Racer

What would be the difference between the Apexi's and the NEX? Where could i purchase them and how much? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-23-2001, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by 3.2-TL:
What would be the difference between the Apexi's and the NEX? Where could i purchase them and how much? Any help would be appreciated.
IF YOU WANT THE NEX I CAN GIVE THEM TO YOU FOR $1150 PLUS SHIPPING TO FL. SHOULDN'T BE MORE THAN $50 FOR SHIPPING. EMAIL OR CALL MY SHOP IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.

ICENUTZ@PRODIGY.NET
CEMGEE MOTORSPORTS
973-598-9922
Old 03-23-2001, 07:54 PM
Pro

Lightbulb

CompTech Springs are (If I remember) something like 10-15% stiffer than stock and lower the car about 1.25". I would consider it a street spring not a race spring.

A couple of things to remember is that when comparing CoilOver Systems and Lowering Springs.

Price -
CoilOver Systems - $850.00 - $2500.00
Lowering Springs - $200.00 - $300.00

but remember that with CoilOver Systems you purchase a well tuned spring/shock combination that was tuned for your car.

If you buy Lowering Springs with aftermarket shocks (bilstiens, koni, tokico, etc...) it would cost you about $700.00 - $800.00 (pretty close to a CoilOver System but without the option of height adjustments and it isn't tune for eachother, but I problaby couldn't tell the difference )

Installation -
If you only purchase Lowering Springs(retaining the stock shocks).
It will be harder and take longer because you have to take out the springs/shocks and get a spring compressor to take the stock spring out of the shocks, then replace it with the Lowering Springs, put it back together than re-install it in the car(four times).

With a CoilOver System(except Apex-i), all you have to do, is switch it. Take out the stock springs/shocks and put in the CoilOver System. As for the Apex-i CoilOver System, it doesn't come with the upper mounts, which means you have to use your stock upper mounts, so you'll have to do the same as the Lowering Springs.

NEX vs. Apex-i CoilOver System..

NEX
-retails for $1200.00.
-Twin Perch, you can adjust the height from the bottom and leave the stroke height(shock) the same or lower it like regular coilovers but the stroke becomes less(stiffer ride).
-Comes with upper mounts.
-Able to drop to the ground!!!!
-IMO the spring rate must be to high(even thought it's for a V6 accord) because it's stiff!!! but corners like a badboy!!!

Apex-i
- autocarparts.com sells them for $870.40, the cheapest I've ever seen!!!
-No upper mounts
-The ride is closer to CompTech's than the NEX.
-Can't go as low as the NEX.
-Best value!!

------------------
2000 ACURA 3.2TL NightHawkBlack
Non-Navi(Doesn't work in Hawaii)
Factory body kit & Wing, 19" Racing Hart C-5's,
Nitto 555's, NEX CoilOvers, CompTech Exhaust,
CompTech Headers, Inspire Taillights, NOS(70 shot),
AEM CAI, Alpine 8080, TL rear door handles in front,
Apexi v-afc, 5% + 30% tints,30% front windshield.

tann@pixi.com
Old 03-23-2001, 07:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

i know that the coilovers sound good cause you can change the height but i heard its a pain in the a$$ and you have to put it on a lift and take the wheels off. coilovers give you a much harder ride cause they are designed for race. so that means your gonna feel every bump.

------------------
96 2.5 TL Dark Purple
Mods:
-Akimoto intake
-Custom front grill
-Clear bumpers
-Tints 20% and 35%
-Acura light up emblem
---STEREO
-2 10" fosgete hx2
-1000 watt memphis amp
-Pioneer speakers
-JVC "EL Kameleon" headunit

-More mods to come....
Old 03-23-2001, 08:52 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 962.5TL:
i know that the coilovers sound good cause you can change the height but i heard its a pain in the a$$ and you have to put it on a lift and take the wheels off. coilovers give you a much harder ride cause they are designed for race. so that means your gonna feel every bump.

My friend at a performance shop told me that you don't have to take the wheels off to adjust the height. All you have to do is turn the wheel the opposite way and just turn some knob. Is this true? I hope so because it would be a pain in the ass to have to lift the car just to adjust the height. I am getting my Apexi coilovers soon so I need to know.

Old 03-24-2001, 12:21 PM
Jens

I have APEX coilovers in my Civic and although they perform well and are fully adjustable they are competition oriented parts and to be honest I am not so sure you would want them in a luxury sport sedan like a TL.Frankly though the ride is stiff and well controlled it is also noisy and a pain to change the setting on them.Granted a Civic is a different animal than a TL but I work for an Acura dealer(Park Ave Acura)and install Comptech equipment here and I think for the money spent on springs you will be very happy and have no troubles with them.Jens
Old 03-24-2001, 11:13 PM
Racer

Tann, thanx a lot for the detailed explanation. Answered every question possible.
Old 03-25-2001, 12:12 AM
Drifting

Even if you can adjust the height with coilovers, you'd have to adjust your camber (alignment) every time you lower/raise your ride. I think that's a pain in the neck.

I would rather get a set of lowering springs and have the alignment done once and for good. Just my thought.

------------------
Y2K SiLVeR TL, non-navi
Factory style full body kit + spoiler
Volk Racing Versus Campionato SS7 18x7.5 52 offset w/ Toyo Proxes FZ4 225/40/18
H&R OEM Springs
PIAA 1700x w/ Inspire Foglight switch
Polarg M-12 Front turn signals
38% window tint all around
Valentine 1 w/ concealed display