Clunking sound in car

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 06:05 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clunking sound in car

Well, it's about 3 weeks after I had my springs installed and until today I had no problems.

On my way home from work I heard the strangest noise It's like a big *clunking* sound. I turned the radio down and listened for it again. It happened again, and again, and again. Every time I hit the slightest bump it makes that noise. You can feel the clunk through the whole car, mostly I notice it in brake pedal. I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. It definitely sounds like it's in the suspension somewhere, but I know VERY little about cars.

I called Greenwich Acura and they said that I can bring the car in tomorrow, but there's no loaners (short notice, can't help that). I REALLY hope they don't pull the "oh, you must have hit a pothole" routine because I know I didn't hit anything. I'm hoping it's something simple because I'm heading to Boston on Saturday and without my navigation, I'll never make it there.

Any idea of what it might be?? Do you think this could be a problem with the Comptech prings or the installation?? I REALLY don't think they were installed right since about 8 people have asked me why the car is lower on one side than the other.

------------------
Jason
<A HREF="http://www.adamoski.com/acura.html" TARGET=_blank> </A>
2000 Acura 3.2 TL w/ Navigation
Satin Silver / Ebony Interior
Comptech Headers & Exhaust, Comptech Springs & Sways, Comptech Air Filter, Factory CD Changer, Spoiler, Mud Guards, Burlwood Shift Knob, 2001 Cup Holders, 30%? Tint, Tinted Rear Plate Cover, Removed Acura & 3.2TL Badging, Removed Front Plate Holder, Yokohama Avid V4 215/55/16's On Order
Old 04-17-2001, 06:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

might be the rear sway bar. you have to grease it every once and while

------------------
Follow as i ride
oem kit
ctech sways
aem intake
system
Old 04-17-2001, 06:16 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by mr tl:
might be the rear sway bar. you have to grease it every once and while

Maybe, but I doubt it, the sway bars were installed 3 weeks ago with the springs. Unless they didn't grease them at time of install? They were both brand new.
Old 04-17-2001, 09:58 PM

I had the same problem. Except it was caused by someone placing a lock around one of my springs... I think some one was out to get me.

Old 04-17-2001, 10:12 PM
Intermediate

my car also make big popping sound every time i try to make a hard stop.It started to make that sound about a month after H&R Racing springs were installed.
Old 04-17-2001, 10:24 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by TLxenon:
my car also make big popping sound every time i try to make a hard stop.It started to make that sound about a month after H&R Racing springs were installed.
Yeah, it's also doing it when braking more then gently, but mostly it's noticable when going over bumps. It's really annoying and scary sounding.
Old 04-17-2001, 11:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ive had my Comptechs about 2 weeks now and i dont hear anything strange. The rear springs have "isolators" on them. As per Comptech " these are to remain on the springs to eliminate any undesirable noises due to the coils contacting each other during suspension travel" Did you check to make sure you have these on your springs?

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black Pearl TL

Comptech springs,Inspire tailights,Weapon-R hyper intake,Burlwood shift knob,Razo carbon fiber pedals,Inspire fog light switch (no fogs yet),BEL 870 radar detector
Old 08-07-2001, 09:41 PM
Advanced

Any resolution at all?

Acura3200, I've got the exact same darn problem with my TLS. Every symptom is exactly the same. I've installed Comptech sways & springs myself, per the instructions on this site. All was well, until yesterday when I was going over a speedbump and I heard this popping noise from the front left of the car. I could feel it through the gas/brake pedals, and ever since then it's been doing it quite frequently. It seems to be more evident when I turn the steering wheel to the left, but that could just be me. Anyone heard a solution yet for this? Do I need to loosen/retighten the bolts installed in the installs again? I'm hoping to fix this before I go to Houston this weekend. Any help at all is appreciated.
Old 08-07-2001, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Sounds like loose end-link nuts. This thread had the same problem:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=18794
Old 08-07-2001, 11:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Exclamation Check eujinc's thread!

Could be the nut connecting the swaybar to the suspension. Also Comptech springs are designed to be placed on a certain side of the car. The front and rear spring with the highest spring rate are to be installed on the driver's side. That info is on the instructions that came with your springs.
Old 08-07-2001, 11:13 PM
aTL
Instructor

Check your C.V. joints aswell
Old 08-07-2001, 11:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Unhappy

Damn i dont wanna drop my ride now...
Old 08-08-2001, 10:20 AM
Instructor

Sort of making me think twice about doing mine as well. If anything can go wrong, it usually will with me. Sometimes the do it yourself can cost more than if you paid somebody. This doesnt seem to be the case here though. Good luck with the problem.
Old 08-08-2001, 10:35 AM
Drifting

ok guys, I think I screwed up by not leaving the resolution in this thread after it was fixed, I had posted the fix in another thread.

I had taken the car back to Acura and all the problem was was the swaybar was hitting the body frame. They adjusted the swaybar, I'm guessing just moved it a bit to the left since it was hitting on the right, and since then everything has been perfect. That was about 4 months ago.

Sorry I can't be more specific as to what the resolution actually was, but the dealer didn't really give me a good description and it was months ago anyway. I can tell you that since the swaybars were installed at Acura, it was fixed under warranty.

I wouldn't let what happened to me and a couple others stop you from modifying your car. It was a minor problem and it had an easy fix. It's not like a wheel fell off or it left the car undrivable... it was just an annoying clunking sound for a few days.

Jason
Old 08-08-2001, 10:56 AM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good timing 'acura3200'. A noise going over bumps you could be 90% sure is the sway bar, because of body roll of the car, which makes the sway bars do their job. I believe that the control link, I think thats what is call, its the one that makes the noises. I had a broken link before, and another time I had one that just need it ajustment. At both times, I could hear clucking noises while going over bumps. All I have to said is tight does links
Old 08-08-2001, 10:58 AM
Advanced

Re: Clunking sound in car

Originally posted by Acura3200
Well, it's about 3 weeks after I had my springs installed and until today I had no problems.

On my way home from work I heard the strangest noise It's like a big *clunking* sound. I turned the radio down and listened for it again. It happened again, and again, and again. Every time I hit the slightest bump it makes that noise. You can feel the clunk through the whole car, mostly I notice it in brake pedal. I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. It definitely sounds like it's in the suspension somewhere, but I know VERY little about cars.

I called Greenwich Acura and they said that I can bring the car in tomorrow, but there's no loaners (short notice, can't help that). I REALLY hope they don't pull the "oh, you must have hit a pothole" routine because I know I didn't hit anything. I'm hoping it's something simple because I'm heading to Boston on Saturday and without my navigation, I'll never make it there.

Any idea of what it might be?? Do you think this could be a problem with the Comptech prings or the installation?? I REALLY don't think they were installed right since about 8 people have asked me why the car is lower on one side than the other.

------------------
Jason
<A HREF="http://www.adamoski.com/acura.html" TARGET=_blank> </A>
2000 Acura 3.2 TL w/ Navigation
Satin Silver / Ebony Interior
Comptech Headers & Exhaust, Comptech Springs & Sways, Comptech Air Filter, Factory CD Changer, Spoiler, Mud Guards, Burlwood Shift Knob, 2001 Cup Holders, 30%? Tint, Tinted Rear Plate Cover, Removed Acura & 3.2TL Badging, Removed Front Plate Holder, Yokohama Avid V4 215/55/16's On Order
Although all of the mentioned sounds could be the source, don't over look the sloshing effect in the gas tank. One way to check if this is the case is to look at your fuel gage when you hear the noise. If the tank is full and you still hear the noise than it is not the sloshing effect. If you hear it when it is 1/2 or 3/4 full then it COULD be the tank.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have the same symtoms in my rear suspension right after I put the Mugens in. Im gonna fill the tank and see if it still makes the noise. Is there a difference in the rear suspension cause they didnt have a L R mark only the OEM suspension did.
Old 05-31-2002, 06:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Bitium
Good timing 'acura3200'. A noise going over bumps you could be 90% sure is the sway bar, because of body roll of the car, which makes the sway bars do their job. I believe that the control link, I think thats what is call, its the one that makes the noises. I had a broken link before, and another time I had one that just need it ajustment. At both times, I could hear clucking noises while going over bumps. All I have to said is tight does links
Hey J , i have the same problem, but i don't have aftermarket Sway bra, ever time i go though a bump fast(mean 30mph+), i got noise from my front letf side of car, i had my springs installed more than year. Do u why??
Old 06-01-2002, 10:59 AM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
i have the same problem..when i go over a speed bump there is a clunking from the rear side of my car...im going to go get it checked out this weeekend..i will keep you guys posted..
Old 06-09-2002, 11:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

This must have something to do with a related part being in a different position after you drop the suspension. If anyone knows whats making the noise please let me know. Also did you pushdown the control arms to get the rear suspension in or did you remove that short crosslink?
Old 06-10-2002, 12:14 AM
Burning Brakes

I've been having this noise and ppl tell me all dropped cars get this noise eventually. I want to know what the hell it is though.
Old 06-10-2002, 06:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Do you think Acura would look at it under warrenty? After all the suspension is not what is making the noise.
Old 06-16-2002, 07:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Found the source of my noise. It is a short 2 inch bar that has round heads. Looks like a mini dumbel that is part of the suspension. It was loose on both ends so it would shift up and down making what sounds like a pad lock jingling around. It is the bar you have to remove when installing the rear struts. Guess I didnt tighten it correctly. You need a strong allen key tool to hold in place while you turn it with a wrench.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Advanced

Just for anyone else who runs across this thread, my popping noise had been caused because when I installed the sway bars, the suspension was relaxed. That put the bushings at a weird setup and caused tension to build up, which was released as the 'popping' noise. The solution was to detach the sway bars from both wheels, have someone hold up the wheel so that the spring is not relaxed, and then tighten the sway bars back on.