Clearing a Headlamp

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Clearing a Headlamp

a question for those that Cleared their headlamps

I puilled the headlamp off my car, and i read the DIY at abunchofcars.com, but the website only shows an accord, which doesnt have HID system. I was wondering, am i supposed to pull the ballast off? i feel alittle uneasy about baking the whole thing.. just a quick question.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:01 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronnn
a question for those that Cleared their headlamps

I puilled the headlamp off my car, and i read the DIY at abunchofcars.com, but the website only shows an accord, which doesnt have HID system. I was wondering, am i supposed to pull the ballast off? i feel alittle uneasy about baking the whole thing.. just a quick question.
Take everything off. You just want to bake the casing. You might want to bake it couple more mins than they recommend, but don't do it too long.

Another advice..... use a lot of sealant.. I mean A LOT. If your headlights leak in the future, you'd have to do this all over again..... just like me and couple of others on the forum
Old 01-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
ok thanks.. im trying to pop the HID things out, but its being a pain bcause there's this one screw that's really weird shaped, and i never seen that kind of screw before.. how the hell do i get that off??
Old 01-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Agean Blue Bishes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
goto sears and get the specialty tool set its a screw driver with a red block of all different bits. use it then return it.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Mongolian
Take everything off. You just want to bake the casing. You might want to bake it couple more mins than they recommend, but don't do it too long.

Another advice..... use a lot of sealant.. I mean A LOT. If your headlights leak in the future, you'd have to do this all over again..... just like me and couple of others on the forum
I know nothing about sealing the headlamps... I have sealed my foglamps though...

If you use "A LOT" of sealant, don't you run the risk of it leaking into the housing and looking messy?
Old 01-13-2005, 02:55 PM
WhizzBomb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mongolian
And make sure you don't have the oven set on broiler. Icky results.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by aaronnn
ok thanks.. im trying to pop the HID things out, but its being a pain bcause there's this one screw that's really weird shaped, and i never seen that kind of screw before.. how the hell do i get that off??
Yeah, the weird screw is a pain in the ass. I used a needle nose plier and twisted the thing off after i got sick and tired to trying to fit something to make it turn. It should come off fairly easy.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeekiM
I know nothing about sealing the headlamps... I have sealed my foglamps though...

If you use "A LOT" of sealant, don't you run the risk of it leaking into the housing and looking messy?
You just have to make sure it doesn't go in the house. It does look a bit messy with the hood open, but you can't see with the hood closed. I tried to do it clean the first time and one of my headlights leaked. 2nd time around, it wasn't a matter of aesthetics, but more on doing it correctly