Clear Hood Protectant - what brands have you used? Espeically other than 3M.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 09:36 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Hood Protectant - what brands have you used? Espeically other than 3M.

I have found some very insightful information about clear hood protection on other threads. However, the only brand that anyone has applied appears to be 3M.

Has anyone had experience with other brands such as:

http://www.clear-guard.com/paint_page.asp

This product is made by Avery Dennison (a 3M competitor especially in the office supply space). I have a local guy in Suburban Philly that will install the full kit for $325…which sounds like a great deal. The headlights are not included, but he is going to add them for around $75.

Has anybody had experience with the clear guard product? Or have you had any of the other three below installed?

Or

http://www.chipguard.com/ (uses 3M)

Or

http://www.clearmask.com/ which is the actual 3M website.

Or

http://www.rockblocker.com (also uses 3M)
Old 03-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Move to 2G.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most of the companies that offer PPF use film from 3M. I guess it's one of the most proven products in the market. BTW, here's a link for 3M ClearBra Test. From the quoted prices on the site, that's an excellent price for the full kit. Is that the extended coverage or standard and does that include the hood, fenders, mirrors and bumpers? The difference between them is the area the film covers. Check with your installer about that. One of the members worked a deal with Invisiguard and we got the extended coverage including headlight and door guards for a really great price. I believe he uses Llumar and 3M film. It's one of the best products I've invested in. Rockblocker also uses 3M and his install is really good. You can also check Armorglove. They offer a lifetime warranty. There is also VentureShield and Xpel . Search for Paint Protection Film in Google for more info.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:21 PM
9th Gear

Thanks Hawhyen51 for the thorough information!!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:57 AM
Banned

I am sure that this might look biased here, but I wanted to chime in and say a few things.

We have tested every product on the market and would be a fool not to do so. If someone can make a better product that we can give our customers then we owe it to them to do the research for it. After 6 months of testing the Avery films we came to the conclusion that this film was not up to our standards and our customers standards so we could not change.

If and when a company makes a film that is better than 3M then we will make the change, but right now nobody can. That is why 90% of the PPF companies use it. Not to mention their films have been out a lot longer than anyone else's. 3M is always changing and working to make the film better. Since I started to use the film they have come out with 3 new generations of the film and each time the film is better and clearer.

I cant say that we have someone in Philly that can help with the install, but we do in Kenilworth, NJ. He also tints too!!

If we can help with anything please do not hesitate to ask.

Chad
Old 03-14-2005, 08:44 AM
Safety Car

Hey Chad, thanks for a more thorough explanation of the 3M film. Sorry, I missed you on the last trip, last minute change of plans. Let me know when you're headed back this way.....
Old 03-14-2005, 08:47 AM
Luke 1:37

Originally Posted by RockBlocker
I am sure that this might look biased here, but I wanted to chime in and say a few things.

We have tested every product on the market and would be a fool not to do so. If someone can make a better product that we can give our customers then we owe it to them to do the research for it. After 6 months of testing the Avery films we came to the conclusion that this film was not up to our standards and our customers standards so we could not change.

If and when a company makes a film that is better than 3M then we will make the change, but right now nobody can. That is why 90% of the PPF companies use it. Not to mention their films have been out a lot longer than anyone else's. 3M is always changing and working to make the film better. Since I started to use the film they have come out with 3 new generations of the film and each time the film is better and clearer.

I cant say that we have someone in Philly that can help with the install, but we do in Kenilworth, NJ. He also tints too!!

If we can help with anything please do not hesitate to ask.

Chad
Have you guys tried Llumar yet? From what I've heard, its of better quality and clearer? I would like to know your thoughts on it.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by virtualbong
Have you guys tried Llumar yet? From what I've heard, its of better quality and clearer? I would like to know your thoughts on it.
Yes, we have tried that film many times. Here is thought on it right now. Until they can perfect the process of film and quality issues that they are having right now we will stick with 3M. I heard last week that it might take another 6 months for them to come out with a better version than what they have right now. I can say they are a close second to 3M IMHO.

Chad
Old 03-14-2005, 09:42 AM
Safety Car

I have Llumar PPF installed on my TL. It is 8mm thick and supposedly clearer than it's competitors. Llumar is fairly new to the PPF business, but it's parent company CPFilms has been manufacturing film for other film companies such as Lumar, Formula One, Gila and Vista. Llumar introduced it's PPF in Spring 2004. I haven't had any probelms with it and it protects as advertised. I'm sure the other folks who have had it installed by Invisiguard will attest their satisfaction as well. As Chad had explained previously, 3M has had different generations of film and with each generation the film is improving.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:41 AM
Sig Rho's Finest

isnt avery made by 3m anyways?
Old 03-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NYZGREATST
isnt avery made by 3m anyways?

um no they are not. They are competitors
Old 01-01-2006, 11:44 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
What about Venture? I've read that it's truly clear (important since my TL is white) and they provide a lifetime warranty where as 3M only provides 5 yrs. Have you tested Venture?
Old 01-02-2006, 01:34 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ajeetm
What about Venture? I've read that it's truly clear (important since my TL is white) and they provide a lifetime warranty where as 3M only provides 5 yrs. Have you tested Venture?
I've seen the 3M film applied to a white 4runner and you couldn't tell it was there. I can't speak for the Venture Sheild film other than what I've read, but I know the Llumar PPF is quite clear. Venture Shield comes in two thicknesses, 8 and 15 mil and does not have a clearcoat. There is more info available on their site along with some tests that were performed. Some of the members who have it installed are very happy with it and say it's better than the 3M. Get all the info you can on both products and decide from there. BTW, here are links to several Venture Shield installers in the Bay Area, Transparent Bra, Paint Technic, & 510 Tint.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:50 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
I just had the Venture film installed on my WDP. It is EXTREMELY clear and the film is literally invisible in sunlight. I'm very satisfied!

You can barely see the lines in sunlight. Venture film is the way to go for WDP!!

Yes, there is a line there. But you can hardly see it!</div>
Old 01-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Chloe @ 17mo

A little bit off topic here, but how easy is it remove the 3M film?
Old 01-06-2006, 05:43 PM
trill recognize trill

Originally Posted by AsianRage
A little bit off topic here, but how easy is it remove the 3M film?
how easy is it to put on? anyone got a PDF for it or somthing?
Old 01-07-2006, 10:20 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by yunginTL
how easy is it to put on? anyone got a PDF for it or somthing?
Application steps for 3M PPF can be found here and also at Rockblocker. You can also check with Xpel for install procedures. Just a heads up, I would recommend having it professionally installed because the TL has a lot of curves. Mark (3M Bra Man) and Chad (Rockblocker) will probably tell you the same thing. Just my