Cleaning out Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning out Throttle Body

Just wondering if a lot of people on here have cleaned out their throttle bodies, whether by removing the intake plumbing and using a toothbrush and cloth to clean off the plates, or by slipping in a thin spray straw from a can of TB cleaner and spraying it in there while someone else revs the engine to keep it alive and let the black smoke come out the tail pipes. I know a lot of guys on the maxima forums have done this (I personally have done this on my I30), but I am not sure whether or not any problems would arise by doing this on my TL, so I wanted to make sure if this was ok to do? I've got around 34K miles on the car, so I'm sure theres some buildup of junk in there (would rather blow that junk out now while its in the early stages of buildup rather than later on when its really bad).
Old 06-30-2004, 11:04 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to do that with my 94' Talon since it was new. When it got dirty the rpm's would start to idle a couple hundred lower. I would just open the butterfly wide open and use a small pair of vise-grips on the linkage to keep it there (obviously car was not running). use a toothbrush and a can of carb cleaner on everything I could reach then take vise-grips off and turn over teh motor till it fired and stopped sputtering till it had a smooth excelleration.

Somewhere I did read though (with the Talon) that there was a sensor that didn't like all the carb cleaner and had a chance that it would go south. But I had 96k miles on that car and didn't have that problem.