cl-->tl 6 speed tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 11:24 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cl-->tl 6 speed tranny swap

ok as the title states im thinking of attempting this for a summer project. I wanna get some input from you guys first. I have an 02TLS. My unlce down in virgina has a salvage yard and just got a completely totaled 03 cl-types 6 speed trashed in the rear. After talking to him i can get the entire car. Im just starting to plan this out i tried to search but didnt find anything good. I want to know if anyone has successfully done the swap. Im wondering if its as easy to just cut the front clip off the tl and weld in the cl clip? my dad always told me if it sounds to good to be tru its not so with that anyone have any advice/instructions for me to help me make my decision to try it or not? it would suck to cut up a perfectly good car lol
Old 07-28-2005, 11:32 PM
Banned

id think it would fit perfectly, since u they both 1 year difference, so same frame line and im guessin maybe engine mounts.....check wit acura..
Old 07-29-2005, 12:47 AM
Comptech Freak

good luck
Old 07-29-2005, 02:12 AM
The wood god

i would like to find this out too have been stronngly considering this option especially since my warranty will soon be up
Old 07-29-2005, 02:16 AM
Instructor

You're about the millionth person to talk about this, but it's never been done before.

But if you have an entire CL-S6, then I guess it's just a matter of how long it will take. All you will have to do is transfer everything over, on top of some custom work to add on the things like clutch pedal. Then rewire the car, because the ECUs are different.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:31 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BloodFart
You're about the millionth person to talk about this, but it's never been done before.

But if you have an entire CL-S6, then I guess it's just a matter of how long it will take. All you will have to do is transfer everything over, on top of some custom work to add on the things like clutch pedal. Then rewire the car, because the ECUs are different.
in essence couldn't he just swap ECUs? doesn't the CLS have VSA? or does it have TCS? i would imagine that would be the big difference, no? or hell, just do the whole engine and tranny swap and don't worry about the differences.

bottom line, i've seen people stick motors from a ford taurus SHO into a ford ranger and lotus esprit. if you want to do it and have the money/know how, then you can do anything.

SSTS
Old 07-29-2005, 08:01 AM
:brakejob:

oh man i wish i was in your situation... i need to find a wrecked cl-s like that
Old 07-29-2005, 08:03 AM
Banned

take the body off the cls-6 and put on the tl-s body.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
ill start out by saying its not known what you will run into, no one here has done it. Im the closest one to doing it (having 4 failed trannies) there may (or may not) be electrical gremlins??????

you dont need to cut and weld the front clip on. the front structural members you have will work. all you will need to do is use the parts your car doesnt have. there are 2 different engine mounts on the drivers side you will need. then you will need the wiring harness, ecu, shifter linkage, the lower part that conects the 2 exhaust manifolds, shifter piece inside, clutch pedal, master cyl for the clutch (hondas are hydraulic) and a few other misc parts. finding the front clip as you have is the best way, that way you can take the parts as needed.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:18 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
You'll need to rewire the entire car. The ECU is different. Is it possible? Yes, but it won't be worth it.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mrsteve
You'll need to rewire the entire car. The ECU is different. Is it possible? Yes, but it won't be worth it.
would be to me if i could get my hands on another clip. 3-4 grand in parts all the labor myself as apposed to tranny failure #5 or another 4 years of monthly car payments???
wouldnt need to rewire the whole car, the engine is the same, just the tranny is different, and the tach area. thats where i said a few electrical gremlins, but they could be easily worked out once you knew what they were
Old 07-29-2005, 08:29 AM
Team Owner

Here's a parts list to get you started

engine management computer
transmission
flywheel
complete shifter assembly
clutch package
clutch master
clutch slave
clutch hydraulic lines
pedal assembly
emergency brake assembly and cables
engine mounts
engine shock
subframe
axles and stub axle
intake plumbing
catalyst forward exhaust or Comptech header assembly
center console assembly and related minor components
changes to the wiring harness as needed
time to troubleshoot
new gauge cluster
throttle body

you'll also need access to a machine shop to have things fabricated for you (motor mounts, clutch pedal mounts, etc) The clutch pedal mount needs to be TIG welded and unless you're a great welder you're going to need to pull the carpet out of the front of the car so you don't catch it on fire.

Also, I have read that the front track of the TL is wider than the CL so you'd need custom axles.

The value of your car will also sink like a rock in water and you'll have no warranty left.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
would be to me if i could get my hands on another clip. 3-4 grand in parts all the labor myself as apposed to tranny failure #5 or another 4 years of monthly car payments???
wouldnt need to rewire the whole car, the engine is the same, just the tranny is different, and the tach area. thats where i said a few electrical gremlins, but they could be easily worked out once you knew what they were

I believe the electrical problems are going to be more in the VSA/TCS system than the gauges.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Here's a parts list to get you started

transmission
flywheel
clutch package
clutch master
clutch slave
clutch hydraulic lines
pedal assembly
engine mounts
engine shock
subframe
axles and stub axle
intake plumbing
catalyst forward exhaust or Comptech header assembly
changes to the wiring harness as needed
time to troubleshoot
new gauge cluster
throttle body

you'll also need access to a machine shop to have things fabricated for you (motor mounts, clutch pedal mounts, etc) The clutch pedal mount needs to be TIG welded and unless you're a great welder you're going to need to pull the carpet out of the front of the car so you don't catch it on fire.

Also, I have read that the front track of the TL is wider than the CL so you'd need custom axles.

The value of your car will also sink like a rock in water and you'll have no warranty left.
First and foremost im not questioning your knowledge 1 bit
the guys who have done the swap on the accords didnt need different axels so why would we.
the clutch pedal they have bolted in, (welding would be better for sure)

I believe the electrical problems are going to be more in the VSA/TCS system than the gauges.
but if he has the whole front clip he can use the comp and gauges from the CL-S
Old 07-29-2005, 11:45 AM
Racer

wouldnt the cl tranny have its own wiring harness from the ecu to the gauges to the tranny? could i be looking at a plug and play kinda deal? or you think im gonna be soldering wires for hours? as far as the custom axles im thinking that it would suck ass to get the motor in with the new mounts and find out that the axles are to short you think it would be easier just to cut and weld the cl frame? does anyone know if the consoles from the cl and tl are the same? and how about ebrake system are we looking at any crazy fabrication to get that in?
Old 07-29-2005, 11:49 AM

the swap is not that hard if you have the parts, time, and ability...

i need the parts dammit. I have access to a machine shop, plenty of time during nights, can weld and fabricate, etc...

items we get with a front clip

transmission
flywheel
clutch package
clutch master
clutch slave
clutch hydraulic lines
pedal assembly
engine mounts
engine shock
subframe - whats needed we get
axles and stub axle
intake plumbing
catalyst forward exhaust
changes to the wiring harness as needed - maybe just splice in your rear clip harness connections to the cl-s wiring harness, will need some electrical knowledge of course
new gauge cluster
throttle body

Things we may or may not get, and will of course need

and of course

time to troubleshoot

if you have the skills the only problem is time and getting a front clip ($$)
Old 07-29-2005, 11:51 AM

how many miles on your front clip, hell i'd buy the clip from you and be the first to do it
Old 07-29-2005, 12:01 PM
Racer

18500ish and its not for sale yet i still gotta decided if im gonna do this cause i gotta go from nyc to virgina to get the car
Old 07-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
18,500??? i can buy a complete CLS6 for that...do you mean 1850?
Old 07-29-2005, 12:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by brakejobhelp
the swap is not that hard if you have the parts, time, and ability...
If it wasn't that hard it would have been done already
Old 07-29-2005, 12:32 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
First and foremost im not questioning your knowledge 1 bit
the guys who have done the swap on the accords didnt need different axels so why would we.
the clutch pedal they have bolted in, (welding would be better for sure)
They probably used a clutch pedal designed for the I-4 Accord and I would suspect there were already holes drilled so the pedal could bolt up. That won't be the case in an automatic CL or TL.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by njzprettyboy
18,500??? i can buy a complete CLS6 for that...do you mean 1850?
He was asked how many MILES on it...I think that's what he meant, not how much it is.

Anyway, I think it's definately possible. Just plan on keeping the TL-S afterwards. Fastcarz3, since you have access to a complete CL-S 6spd, parts should not be a problem. The only thing is, you should have a way to get around while you're working on your car, because it could be out of commission longer than you expect.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:55 PM
Racer

18500 is about how many miles are on the cl. and youngtl yea i just got the 06 gs300 so im set with another ride while this ones down. anyways back to the technical part
Old 07-29-2005, 03:07 PM
Team Owner

Just realize you are taking a fairly new car... hacking it apart... and in the process reducing the value to nothing more than what it's worth in parts. You'll never be able to sell the car for anything close to what you've invested into it. Also, you may want to check your local laws... the car may not be street legal.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:41 PM

If it wasn't that hard it would have been done already
no one has the time or desire or skills, all combined...

it was the same with k20 swaps in 2k1 civics, all it took was one guy, htowncivicex, from houston, to do the very first swap and the floodgates opened...
Old 07-29-2005, 04:49 PM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it was the same with k20 swaps in 2k1 civics, all it took was one guy, htowncivicex, from houston, to do the very first swap and the floodgates opened...
htown is where its at
Old 07-29-2005, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by yunginTL
htown is where its at
lol
Old 07-29-2005, 04:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Plenty of people have the desire, and the skills, no one has wanted to cough up the money though. Your taking about a limited supply of parts, and a much more complicated car.

Jens, who was the head tech at Park Ave Acura said it wasn't worth it, and he knew these cars VERY well.

Its definetly possible, but it will cost more than 5k, and will not be easy at all.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
Plenty of people have the desire, and the skills, no one has wanted to cough up the money though. Your taking about a limited supply of parts, and a much more complicated car.

Jens, who was the head tech at Park Ave Acura said it wasn't worth it, and he knew these cars VERY well.

Its definetly possible, but it will cost more than 5k, and will not be easy at all.
easy is a relative term

the limiting factor for me is cost... a front clip would be perfect, the cost is lower than individual parts and you can remove other stuff and/or copy/fabricate from the CL-S...
Old 07-29-2005, 04:58 PM

im not trying to brag or anything, just trying to counteract the constant negative attitude towards a swap... it can be done, everything can be done... just how much are you willing to do it, parts/money/time/skill wise
Old 07-29-2005, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

easy is a relative term

the limiting factor for me is cost... a front clip would be perfect, the cost is lower than individual parts and you can remove other stuff and/or copy/fabricate from the CL-S...
With only 3700 6 Speeds produced, good luck finding an entire front clip that isn't trashed.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:01 PM

With only 3700 6 Speeds produced, good luck finding an entire front clip that isn't trashed.
assuming the best, this guy has one

which is another thing, they should be getting more prevalent as the car gets older hopefully
Old 07-29-2005, 05:06 PM
Suzuka Master

assuming the best, this guy has one

which is another thing, they should be getting more prevalent as the car gets older hopefully
Yes, but unlike Porsches, most other cars have more front end accidents that total them, than rear end collisions.

I'm all for seeing this happen, hell I would love to do it myself one day, but this is not for the "ballers on a budget" as it will cost money and time to fix.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:57 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
hey man, i think its definately possible, and also not as big a smell as some members make it out to be. it has been done a few times with 99-02 accord v6 coupes, so it is DEFINATELY possible with a 2nd gen TL. since you have access to an entire front clip, you will have basically everything you need. search on v6p.net for a guy named aiden. depending on how serious you are, i believe some member flew him out to his house, and he completed the swap in like 7 days. i think he charged $2,000 labor, and that included install of a CT SC. if you are getting the clip for free, its a great oppurtunity i think.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:16 PM

Yes, but unlike Porsches, most other cars have more front end accidents that total them, than rear end collisions.

I'm all for seeing this happen, hell I would love to do it myself one day, but this is not for the "ballers on a budget" as it will cost money and time to fix.
to the ballers on a budget...

hopefully as blue book values fall though some totaled clips will show up
Old 07-29-2005, 08:20 PM
Racer

hey all im really not worried about time im just trying to get a general idea of if this is doable or not i dont wanna waste my time going to get the car bringing it back taking it apart and having a mess of parts. I dont have a problem with doing the labor myself i know my way around a car. from what i've read and seeing knowone has done this i guess i should give it a shot. im gonna see about making arrangements to get the car up here. ill keep ya'll updated time to time, and if i get stuck ill bring some questions.
Old 07-29-2005, 08:43 PM
Suzuka Master

I think you will have the best shot of completeing it compared to others who wanted to do it in the past, just cause you have the whole front clip.

Its won't exactly drop in, and the wiring will be a nightmare (If you don't have a Helms manual, you will need it), but if you can leave the car for a few eeks, and have access to a machine shop and what not, you can do it.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:43 AM
Team Owner

You're 21, you have a great car already (2002 TL-S). Don't ruin it (and the value of the car) by swapping the drivetrain/ECU/Dash/Wiring/Etc. If your insurance company finds out you swaped in a new drivetrain into the car they very well may void your policy. I'd check with them and with your local Acura dealership to see how this will affect your policy.

I'd love to see someone do this, but take a look at the big picture. We're close in age, I had an automatic CL-S and the funds to complete a swap such as this. But i'd never do it. Instead I purchased an '03 6-Speed CL-S.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Racer

alright guys thanks for the input ill be in florida for the next 2 weeks so ill ponder the ideas
Old 07-30-2005, 02:30 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ummmm.... Didn't see anyone bringing this idea up but why don't you spend your time/money and fix the 2003 CL type S and drive that. Then you could have 2 Type Sssssssss (or sell one of them)

+ = 2 x TLS = 2 x

Quick Reply: cl-->tl 6 speed tranny swap