carbon build up

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 12:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carbon build up

Acura said that my car is hesitating at low rpms, problably caused my carbon build up in the combustion chamber. They said that they want to clean out the carbon build up.

I can;t notice anything

Has anyone done this? or is this BS

O
Old 10-01-2003, 01:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

bs
Old 10-01-2003, 02:58 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
how many miles are on the car?

get some techron...
Old 10-01-2003, 03:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Firstly, take the car back and tell Acura they're stupid. Then, run your car's gas tank down until you have about 0.5 gallons left in it. When the gas light comes on, you should drive another 60-70 miles with it, to ensure all the old gas is almost out of the tank. Then go to the gas station which has the highest octane. I know in Canada Sunoco has 94. Anyhow, fill the tank all the way up with the highest octane, and then add in some redline fuel injector treatment. The liquid comes in a clear bottle, and it's red. Run this in your car, and make sure to run this tank all the way down so that it all gets into the system. Maintain using this stuff every oil change, or whenever you feel you need it. This will for sure clean all your chambers for you, and it will prob cost you 20 cents extra per gallon for higher octane gas, and like 6 bux for a bottle of redline. Make sure to put the absolute full bottle of Redline in the tank, no more, no less.

Ok? Let me know what happens.

thanks
Old 10-01-2003, 04:29 PM
New Life

This is possible, remember carbon build up starts as soon as the engine is start from the very first time.
I was going to post on this but since you talk about it here we go, I notice that my car was hesitating (in the morning when cold and only for 10 seconds) so I put in what I always use STP Complete Fuel System and guess what, it works, all that is gone. I was going to put it anyway but I was waiting til 6k miles.
By the way I always use Chevron and nothing else.
I use this product for 71/2 years on my Maxima and I never had any problems with it, no hesitation etc.
I recommended it, it works and is safe.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Re: carbon build up

Originally posted by oliverd
Acura said that my car is hesitating at low rpms, problably caused my carbon build up in the combustion chamber. They said that they want to clean out the carbon build up.

I can;t notice anything

Has anyone done this? or is this BS

O
i had this problem but it wasnt the combustion chamber, it was in the intake. the service guy showed me while he had it all pulled apart. it was like a 45 to 1 hr job. it was all pluged up. there are all sorts of little tracks and stuff that were all carboned up and needed to be HAND cleaned. that was the problem and simple carb cleaner in the gas tank wont work. after watching him do it i would do it myself if it ever happened again.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:34 AM
Advanced

The car has 50000 miles on it (82000km). I always put sunoco 94 in there anyways. I will try the redline (or a similar product ).

Thanks!!
Old 10-02-2003, 10:54 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I wish we had 94 octane around here...
Old 10-02-2003, 11:23 AM
Advanced

I wish we had palm trees in Toronto
Old 10-02-2003, 12:13 PM
Cruisin'

Carbon Buildup

Carbon buildup has more to do with driving patterns than with what fuel you use. Granted some detergent packages are better than other but the octane rating has nothing to with carbon buildup. Actually in thoery, you could have more carbon buildup with a higher octane due to the slower burn rate of higher octane fuel. But the real problem is driving patterns. If you drive your vehicle short distances quite frequently and never do long hard drives on the highway to get the engine up to complete operating temperature, then you will get a quite a bit of carbon buildup. I worked on an issue when I was at Ford where the carbon buildup was causing a mifire bacause the exhaust valve was sticking due to the carbon buildup. The one common factor with all the owners was driving patterns. We finally proved it with a dyno cycle that replicated their driving pattern. The name we gave the dyno cycle was the "Granny Cycle". The pattern was to drive the car short distances in the city and then shut it down for a long period and then drive again the short distance after the engine had completely cooled. So carbon build up is a sriving pattern issue not a fuel issue.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:46 PM
Advanced

Hey Ryan,

Do you think the solutions mentioned above would do any good?
Old 10-02-2003, 01:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: carbon build up

Originally posted by fsttyms1
i had this problem but it wasnt the combustion chamber, it was in the intake. the service guy showed me while he had it all pulled apart. it was like a 45 to 1 hr job. it was all pluged up. there are all sorts of little tracks and stuff that were all carboned up and needed to be HAND cleaned. that was the problem and simple carb cleaner in the gas tank wont work. after watching him do it i would do it myself if it ever happened again.
mine happened around 65k
Old 10-02-2003, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: Carbon Buildup

Originally posted by Ryan Hubbard
Carbon buildup has more to do with driving patterns than with what fuel you use. Granted some detergent packages are better than other but the octane rating has nothing to with carbon buildup. Actually in thoery, you could have more carbon buildup with a higher octane due to the slower burn rate of higher octane fuel. But the real problem is driving patterns. If you drive your vehicle short distances quite frequently and never do long hard drives on the highway to get the engine up to complete operating temperature, then you will get a quite a bit of carbon buildup. I worked on an issue when I was at Ford where the carbon buildup was causing a mifire bacause the exhaust valve was sticking due to the carbon buildup. The one common factor with all the owners was driving patterns. We finally proved it with a dyno cycle that replicated their driving pattern. The name we gave the dyno cycle was the "Granny Cycle". The pattern was to drive the car short distances in the city and then shut it down for a long period and then drive again the short distance after the engine had completely cooled. So carbon build up is a sriving pattern issue not a fuel issue.
it also has to do with all the different formulas of gas that all the different states use.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:26 PM
Cruisin'

Oliverd,
Using a fuel injector and combustion chamber cleaner does help. You need to catch it early before the build up is too much for the product to handle. In the early stages of the problem, we had a TSB that told the dealers to use a Ford Combustion Cleaner that is ran through the engine after the exhaust system is disconnected so you don't contaminate the catalytic converter. This stuff takes some work to run through the engine. You can buy the product from the ford dealership. If you want I could dig up the part number.

Fsttyms,
This was a nationwide issue and we tried several different blends of fuel to cause the problem and never had any success in causing the problems. We had a fuels and oils expert on the team and he said the fuel is not a contributing factor in the accumulation of carbon. The base gasoline formula is the same for all brands of gasoline. It is just the addittive package that is different. I now work in the petroleum industry and in the refineries and terminals that distribute the gasoline to all the gas stations. They have all the base gasolines and add the additive package as they are filling the tanker truck. Like I said carbon buildup is caused mostly by design and driving patterns. In the case I worked on for 1.5 years, we had to change the design of the valve stem and valve guide to clear up the problem.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:38 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Re: carbon build up

Originally posted by fsttyms1
How exactly did he do it? Mind telling us???
Old 10-02-2003, 03:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey Ryan, thanx for bringing your high level of expertice to this forum.
To add to the carbon issue I've also heard that it is very common for our trottle bodys to get a build up that makes the throttle "stick" at idle causing a bit more pressure on the gas to unstick-it. correct me if im wrong build i dont think a fuel cleaner would correct that
Old 10-02-2003, 04:00 PM
Cruisin'

Yield2S,
Fuel injector cleaner will not fix the throttle body problem. That problem is brought on by the PCV valve. It is a build up from the oil mist.
Old 10-02-2003, 05:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Re: carbon build up

Originally posted by vtec11
How exactly did he do it? Mind telling us???
on myne the carbon wasnt in the combustion chamber area. it was in the upper intake. when you open the hood upper intake (the part with the powder coated piece on top) he removed the cover and the whole upper intake. (just a few bolts) then he had to manually spray the carbon build up out with carb cleaner and air. (he said he has seen the problem before and that was acuras remody, he said they claimed it was from all the different formulas of gas) eithere way it took like 1 hr to clean and i was back on the road in no time
Old 10-02-2003, 05:13 PM
Burning Brakes

damn tree huggers, now i need to remove and clean my trottle body every few 10k miles(which i just got done doing and no more sticky,sticky
Old 10-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Interesting thread.
I use to get that build up in my throttle body on my old car (Nissan/Datsun '82 280Zxt). I use to use some spray (I think by gunk) to clean it out. Basically pulled off the tube to the TB, sprayed it in while the engine was running and rev'd it a little. It seemed to help out back then.
Then when I took off the intake manifold and head to drop in a headgasket, I used a lot of the spray (a few cans) and cleaned out a lot of build up. After doing that, the car seemed to be A LOT smoother. I did this in the early 90s, so I guess over the years it built up. On top of that, the car was used for mostly city driving and short distances. However I also use to floor it a lot as it was a turbo with a few mods and a lot of fun, so maybe that helped out too.
Ryan, What's your thoughts on these types of sprays with todays cars ?
Old 10-02-2003, 06:30 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm not Ryan but I think sprays & sensors = $$$$$$$$$$
Old 10-02-2003, 08:27 PM
Burning Brakes

yeah, that was my concern. I know the ins and outs of my old engine pretty well. I haven't taken a close look at this one yet. So I don't know what's behind the Throttle body or in the plenum. Thanx