Car Wouldn't Start After Gassing up

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 12:40 PM
アキュラ 力

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car Wouldn't Start After Gassing up

Hi All, this past weekend after gassing up my car, I went to turn it on and for some reason it wouldn't start. In my three years of owning this car, this has never happened to me. The first time I tried, the car begin to turn but it would never fully turn over. I tried a second time with the same result. Finally the third time the car started after I placed the key in the "0" position. Any ideas what happened here? I have not had a problem turning the car on since. I'm kind of worried about this, is there sufficient reason to be worried?!?!
Old 09-06-2005, 01:19 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
it happened to me several times before i realized my positive battery cable clamp was loose. i would check there first. especially if you have an amp installed. i found out the hard way that the spade lug i put in for my power cable was just thick enough that the clamp would not completely tighten around the positive terminal. (I had mine installed between the two bolt-holes of the clamp. i then moved it outside and put it between the clamp and the nut, problem solved). you could remove the cable by hand without too much force when i had it installed the original way. it's a scary feeling when the car doesn't start.

otherwise take a wire brush and clean your terminals and clamps well. that might be your problem in general.

SSTS
Old 09-06-2005, 01:26 PM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
it happened to me several times before i realized my positive battery cable clamp was loose. i would check there first. especially if you have an amp installed. i found out the hard way that the spade lug i put in for my power cable was just thick enough that the clamp would not completely tighten around the positive terminal. (I had mine installed between the two bolt-holes of the clamp. i then moved it outside and put it between the clamp and the nut, problem solved). you could remove the cable by hand without too much force when i had it installed the original way. it's a scary feeling when the car doesn't start.

otherwise take a wire brush and clean your terminals and clamps well. that might be your problem in general.

SSTS
My man, I'll try that out. I actually DO have an amp installed in my car so I will check this out. And, yes, it is a scary feeling when your car doesn't start, especially when you are used to Honda reliability. It came as a shock to me when my car was having such a hard time starting, really scared the crap out of me! Thanks for the tip bro, I'll definitely check this out
Old 09-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by JPTL-S
My man, I'll try that out. I actually DO have an amp installed in my car so I will check this out. And, yes, it is a scary feeling when your car doesn't start, especially when you are used to Honda reliability. It came as a shock to me when my car was having such a hard time starting, really scared the crap out of me! Thanks for the tip bro, I'll definitely check this out
did the engine crank at all and it just wouldnt start? if so its not the battery conections. it may have just been a hicup in the system and has nothing to do with honda reliability. sometimes weird things happen. can you walk out to the car right now and will it start right away? or was it just the one time ocasion??
Old 09-06-2005, 03:03 PM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
did the engine crank at all and it just wouldnt start? if so its not the battery conections. it may have just been a hicup in the system and has nothing to do with honda reliability. sometimes weird things happen. can you walk out to the car right now and will it start right away? or was it just the one time ocasion??
The engine would crank but just would not turn over. I know what you're talking about, it wasn't one of those tell tale clicking noises when the battery is dead kind of thing. If I walk out to my car right now, it will start right away with no problems, this was just a one time occasion....
Old 09-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Yes it is!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was your tank totally drained? Maybe the fuel pump needed a second to get gas to the engine. Just a guess.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
The engine would crank but just would not turn over. I know what you're talking about, it wasn't one of those tell tale clicking noises when the battery is dead kind of thing. If I walk out to my car right now, it will start right away with no problems, this was just a one time occasion....
ive had it happen to me if i let off just before it had started, where it would take me awhile to get it running. probably has something to do with slight flooding due to it not starting right away
Old 09-06-2005, 07:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Did you top off the gas tank after it clicked off?
Old 09-06-2005, 07:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
. it may have just been a hicup in the system and has nothing to do with honda reliability. sometimes weird things happen.

The exact same thing happened to me, only once, about 2 years ago on my 03 tl-s. Except mine was parked in front of my house. After trying to turn the key 4 times the car finally started. Nothing was loose or coroded when i check. It has never happened since. Still can't explain it.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

are you sure you pumped 93 and not diesel? haa. im guessing it was a once time thing. i wouldnt worry to much about it
Old 09-06-2005, 09:30 PM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
Did you top off the gas tank after it clicked off?
I may have but I have done this quite a few times in the past with no problems. So that is why I am stumped by what happened
Old 09-06-2005, 09:33 PM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by Deity711
Was your tank totally drained? Maybe the fuel pump needed a second to get gas to the engine. Just a guess.
Nope, the tank still had a bout a quarter of a tank left in it.... Just weird I tell you
Old 09-06-2005, 10:04 PM
Pro

Sounds like the immobilizer system didn't recognize your key. It happens if you have a bunch of keys on the key chain. After taking all the keys off the chain I never had that problem again.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:48 PM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by Chet03TL-S
Sounds like the immobilizer system didn't recognize your key. It happens if you have a bunch of keys on the key chain. After taking all the keys off the chain I never had that problem again.

Bro, I only have my car key and my key fob attached to it. My house and office keys are on my other key chain.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Could've just been heat soak.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Pro

Bro, I only have my car key and my key fob attached to it. My house and office keys are on my other key chain.
Just trying to help. Thought that might be the problem. It solved mine.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:21 PM
アキュラ 力

Originally Posted by Chet03TL-S
Just trying to help. Thought that might be the problem. It solved mine.

Thanks for the suggestion though