Car Wash putl scratches on my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2001, 04:34 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Wash putl scratches on my car

I took my car for a car wash. the car wash place is brushless. Hoever, ofter the carwash, I notices some very light scratches all over the place. I can only see them when it's night time and light is flashing on my car. I'm affraid the car is loosing it's new car look and I've only had it for two months.

Help me please, what can I do to restore my car and remove those light scratches as well as make the paint shine again. Plaus how do you guys wash your cars. I can't wash my car manaully, I don't have a garage and I live in NYC, so to was it I have to go to a car wash. But I'm affraid they will continue to hurt the paint. Please help.
Old 07-22-2001, 06:26 AM
CBS
Banned

Thumbs up Re: Car Wash putl scratches on my car

Originally posted by Big Ped
I took my car for a car wash. the car wash place is brushless. Hoever, ofter the carwash, I notices some very light scratches all over the place. I can only see them when it's night time and light is flashing on my car. I'm affraid the car is loosing it's new car look and I've only had it for two months.

Help me please, what can I do to restore my car and remove those light scratches as well as make the paint shine again. Plaus how do you guys wash your cars. I can't wash my car manaully, I don't have a garage and I live in NYC, so to was it I have to go to a car wash. But I'm affraid they will continue to hurt the paint. Please help.
Are you sure the scratches were not there before the touchless wash? If not, then you may want to try to work with the least abrasive product up to the most abrasive. First, I would try a paint cleanser like P21S paint cleanser or Pinnacle paint cleanser or Meguiars(forgot the name). If that does not work, then step up to little more abrasive product like 3M Finesse-it, which is sold in pep boys. A very godd product I might say. If that does not work, then try 3M Perfect-It rubbing compound which is more abrasive than the cleanser and finesse-it which I heard is very good! I can not give you any tips because I do have a garage and I wash my own car even in the winter time. By the way, what do you use to dry your car with? That could be the culprit too. Let me know!
Old 07-22-2001, 10:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stay out of them car washes I don't care what they say.
Unless you hose your car off yourself this is the only way to be pretty safe. I have the Black & also scratches & swirls.
I never go to a carwash. The rags you use to dry the car can do the damage. I am in the process of changing all of my old rags & towels.
I will only use 100% American made cotton towels. I dry the car with the Absorber. To get the scratches from your color car try Meguiars products like Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax. This will take out light scatches or & swirl marks.
You can also purchase mail order like Zaino they make #Z5 swirl & fine scratch remover then you have to use there products.
For your color go with a bottle of Meguiars Gold Class Wax & a bottle of Meuiars Deep Crystal System #2 Polish that is clear coat safe. Use the #2 polish first then the wax.
Old 07-22-2001, 11:34 AM
Racer

Unhappy

How do you suggest I wash my car in NYC then. Can any of these productsw prevent my car from getting scratches and swirls. Is there any protectant that would allow me to still wass my car at the car wash.
Old 07-22-2001, 12:30 PM
Cruisin'

Scratches

I just used Zaino's Clay bar with Z5, Z6 then Z2. I couldn't be happier with the results.
Old 07-22-2001, 05:45 PM
O.G.

Been there done that. I used to take my TL to a brushless car wash but there were still scratches. Now I wash my TL in my driveway. I know it's hard for you since you live in the city. Maybe you should buy a car cover but you might not see it the next morning.
Old 07-22-2001, 06:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by BlackShadow
Been there done that. I used to take my TL to a brushless car wash but there were still scratches. Now I wash my TL in my driveway. I know it's hard for you since you live in the city. Maybe you should buy a car cover but you might not see it the next morning.
Amen to that BlakShadow
What I was talking about is a place like a garage type that just has a hose that you can spray your car. We have a few of this type around DC. they are out in the suburbs. You just pay your money for the hose, water & they have soap also.
People just go in the garage & wash the car themself.
I wash mine at home but in the winter the outside water is turned off. I also use alot of quick detailing products.
Here are some of the products Prolong waterless wash & shine this cleans shines & protects. This is what I use in the winter months. Then you have Meguiars Quick Detailer& Eagle One Wet
Meguiars Final Inspection#34 just to name a few. This type is for light cleaning bird poop, light dust ,water spots. With all you should use 100% cotton terry cloth or towel.
Old 07-22-2001, 07:26 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At The Car Wash

Dude,

Black is a cool color for a car...but a pain in the ass to maintain. Actually, any dark color is. That's why I got my TL S-Type in white pearl. Light colors just seem to hide swirl marks and other paint imperfections better.

I usually take my car(s) to brushless car washes and I've been quite satisfied so far (knock on wood). I think the problems happen at these car washes when the guys wipe the car down with towels. If the towels are scummy or have little pieces of dirt in them...OH ****.

But yeah...washing the car yourself is usually the best. I'm lazy...as I'm sure many other car owners are...and that's why these car wash places make BANK! LOL.

If you're worried about swirl marks...there is a Meguire's product that will remove them...supposedly.
Old 07-22-2001, 08:16 PM
Racer

Yeah My TLS is white diamond pearl also. I wanted the black but I didn't for the same reasons. I don't know how the swirls got there and I can't see them ind the day. I can only see them when I get up close in the at night when light is flashing on the car. I have to say that the swirls are pretty light, but they are there and I can't have that. I'm considering getting the Zaino products since many have recommended them.

Man this new car thing is a lot more maintenance then I thought. When I had my old Accord, I didn't worry about Sh1t. I'm a business person with lots of demand from work. The little time I have off, I can't spend it on maintaining my car and stuff. I want to have time for the ladies too. Please fellas, just give me the answer I'm looking for, the easy way to solve this issue.

I'm willing to buff my car all up, but I don't want to manaully wash my car all the time. White cars get very dirty too. And Bird dudu is highly apparent. Once I get hit, I have to go to the car wash right away. It's insane. Is there something that would protect the car from the brushless carwashes. Like a gloss that adds extra protection or something. Thanks.
Old 07-23-2001, 01:38 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unfortunately, you're looking for an easy way to fix the solution, and there isn't. If you're going to take it to an automatic car wash, be prepared for scratching and/or swirl marks. Some of those places recycle their water, and worse yet, sometimes use light acids in the wash to remove the dirt off cars. The way to protect your car from the brushless washes is to avoid them.
I bought mine used and had tons of swirl marks on it (black). I had all of it professionally buffed out since I didn't have the time to do it and didn't trust myself to do it right. For $125, it was well worth it. Swirl marks are gone, scratches are down to a minimum, and the car glows. I'm only going to manual car wash places from now on, and now I'll Zaino when it needs a new wax job.
So, if you don't want the swirls and don't have personal time to take care of them, shell out the $$$ and have it done by someone else. Otherwise, do the car washses and prepare for the swirls. Also, remember that Zaino is time consuming. 24 hours between coats.
In either case, always get the bird crap off your car as soon as you see it!
Old 07-23-2001, 05:41 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At The Car Wash (cont)

Dude,

Casey brought up a good point that I forgot to clarify. When I talked about me going to a "brushless" car washing place I meant...it's a manual carwash...well...partly.

The car gets vacuumed by the car wash dudes first...then it gets sent through a car wash machine that DOES NOT use those whirling plastic-looking brushes (which will cause swirl-marks) and then it gets towel dried by several more car wash dudes.

It costs a few more bucks than those automatic car wash machines you find in gas stations...but it's WORTH IT!. Especially when it comes to your car's paint job.

But...the last car I had was kinda beat up...so I usually went to the automatic car wash places. LOL.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:12 AM
Racer

When I mean brushless, I mean a big machine that has these rags hanging prom the tom that swing back and forth. On the sided there are rags spining rapidly to clean the sides of the car. They are all rags so I guess that's why they call it brushless. Nontheless, I think since they have lots of dirt from other cars, they may still be putting the swirls on my car. I'm going to buy the Zaino and see how that works for me and keepp putting the car through the car washes. Based on what you guys are tielling me, I don't have another choice. When I get scratches, II'll just have to Zaino again.

I have a few scratches on my rear bumper, should I fix those before the Zaino?
Old 07-23-2001, 11:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: At The Car Wash

Originally posted by coffeefingers
Dude,

Black is a cool color for a car...but a pain in the ass to maintain. Actually, any dark color is. That's why I got my TL S-Type in white pearl. Light colors just seem to hide swirl marks and other paint imperfections better.

I usually take my car(s) to brushless car washes and I've been quite satisfied so far (knock on wood). I think the problems happen at these car washes when the guys wipe the car down with towels. If the towels are scummy or have little pieces of dirt in them...OH ****.

But yeah...washing the car yourself is usually the best. I'm lazy...as I'm sure many other car owners are...and that's why these car wash places make BANK! LOL.

If you're worried about swirl marks...there is a Meguire's product that will remove them...supposedly.
Yeah, the dark colors are a paint to take care of. That's why I didn't get monterrey blue and got satin silver instead. I liked the monterrey blue better when it was clean, but I just knew it would be a lot of work....
Old 07-23-2001, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Casey brought up a good point that I forgot to clarify. When I talked about me going to a "brushless" car washing place I meant...it's a manual carwash...well...partly.

Guys just remember that when you're going to one of those do-it-yourself car washes with the hoses, DO NOT use the Brush wand that spits out the soap. It's no better than going through a soft cloth or any other type of car wash.[
Old 07-23-2001, 05:59 PM
Safety Car

Re: At The Car Wash

Originally posted by coffeefingers
Dude,

That's why I like the Brushless ones with teh driers at the end--the new ones here are powerful enuff to make the damn sheet metal make noise---and with that and the spot free rinse it uses i don't even get water spots on my windows (thats looking at windows with dark tint)
so I'd say it works great
Old 07-23-2001, 06:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Polish and wax your car, that would alleviate the problem.
Ed
Old 07-24-2001, 04:00 PM
Cruisin'

Smile

How do you suggest I wash my car in NYC then. Can any of these productsw prevent my car from getting scratches and swirls. Is there any protectant that would allow me to still wass my car at the car wash.
Big Ped,
There are two hand car washes in Brooklyn I can recommend. One is at the corner of Flatlands and Utica Avenues (enter at Flatlands) and the other is at the corner of Farragut Avenue and Utica (enter on Farragut). Be prepared to spend more than double what you would pay at the "brushless" car wash, plus a decent tip.
Glen
Old 07-24-2001, 04:06 PM
Cruisin'

When I mean brushless, I mean a big machine that has these rags hanging prom the tom that swing back and forth. On the sided there are rags spining rapidly to clean the sides of the car. They are all rags so I guess that's why they call it brushless. Nontheless, I think since they have lots of dirt from other cars, they may still be putting the swirls on my car. I'm going to buy the Zaino and see how that works for me and keepp putting the car through the car washes. Based on what you guys are tielling me, I don't have another choice. When I get scratches, II'll just have to Zaino again.

I have a few scratches on my rear bumper, should I fix those before the Zaino?
That so-called "brushless" stuff is a gimmick. Those "rags" are heavy as hell. Once I sat in the car while it went through the wash. It felt as if someone was pounding on the outside of the car with their fists. No wonder they put swirls in one's finish. That was the first and last time I ever visited a "brushless" car wash.
Old 07-24-2001, 04:21 PM
Racer

Glen, thanks for the information I'll visit them as soon as I can. It's true what you said about the brushless carwashes, they do pound prety hard on the car. Even if the rags are soft, all the force applied can definitely cause the swirls. I'm not doing it anymore. I'll visit those places you mentioned and I'll let you know how it turns out. I don't know exactly where they are, but I'll plug in the intersections in the Navi and I should be there in no time. Thanks again. Big Ped. "Go Brooklyn"
Old 07-24-2001, 05:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you want, every 3-6 months or so depending on your budget, take your car to a professional detailer. When I took my car to Rallye, I decided to try their detailing service. I didn't think they woiuld do a good job but they really DID! I know my car so well. I know every swirl, bird stain, scratch etc. They removed ALL my swirl marks but some of the deep scratches are still there which I knew would.

Anywho, if you want to do it at home, use a swirlmark remover. it helps get rid of them. Also, DO NOT USE COMPOUND!!!!!!!! If you dont know how to use it, it will remove the shine and leave a DULL LOOK on your car! I used it once on a little spot and it must have been through three professional details and about ten waxes before it looks normal.

Also, those brushless carwashes use lots of harsh chemicals on your car. I remember when I bought two new center caps for our 94 Accord EX because the old ones lost all of their shine. I went to our car wash and the stuff they sprayed the wheels with removed the finish on it.

Rosh
Old 07-25-2001, 08:51 AM
Racer

Black TL, how much does the detailing cost. I know it is based on how much work is needed. I have a few scratches on the rear bumper and that's just about it. I also want my car to be super glossed, Zaino style. How much do you thiing that would cost. Budget is definetly important. Thanks
Old 07-25-2001, 11:57 AM
Cruisin'

Correction re: hand car wash location #2

Originally posted by Glen

Big Ped,
There are two hand car washes in Brooklyn I can recommend. One is at the corner of Flatlands and Utica Avenues (enter at Flatlands) and the other is at the corner of Farragut Avenue and Utica (enter on Farragut). Be prepared to spend more than double what you would pay at the "brushless" car wash, plus a decent tip.
Glen
Oops, location #2 is at Farragut ROAD, not Avenue.
Old 07-25-2001, 12:17 PM
Racer

Thanks Glen
Old 07-25-2001, 01:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Big Ped, it all depends on where you go to. I used to go to a car wash by my house with our Honda but I wouldn't go there with my TL. I went to Rallye once because I knew if they messed up, they would pay to have it fixed as opposed to a small time car wash.

The interior floors were vacuumed, and shampood. The leather was cleaned and conditioned with Lexol. The dash and was cleaned, and the door sills were free of scuff marks. They really do an excellent job. I might not like their service too much but they do good detailing.

The exterior was cleaned, clayed, polished, waxed and it removed all my swirl marks and made the car shine like I never saw!

The price was about $120. I am going in for another detail because I have overspray all over it. I will take pics and post when i do.

Hope this helps.

Roshan
Old 07-25-2001, 02:46 PM
Super Troll

My friend said the service in rallye is pretty good there... but they do charge an arm and a leg for everything... but then again all do work on are BM's, BenZ, and RR.... i just left my car there for some body work two weeks ago and hope to get it back friday....
Old 07-25-2001, 04:08 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by goaub
Guys just remember that when you're going to one of those do-it-yourself car washes with the hoses, DO NOT use the Brush wand that spits out the soap. It's no better than going through a soft cloth or any other type of car wash.
Hehe... I have used that wand brush but I first spray it out real real well with the pressure washer and let it run, spitting out soap, then rinse it again. I know the last thing I wash with the wand brush is my rims! I don't want to wash my car with the last guys dirt from his rims.
Old 07-30-2001, 09:37 AM
Racer

Glen, I went to the car wash on Farragut ROAD, that you recommended. I paid $18 for the super wash. The regular wash wash was like $12. With my wash I was supposed to get the Amorall on the tires and 3 additional glosses for the car. Well, I was less than satisfied with the results. The car came out with a fiew dirt spots and some areas where the dirt didn't come out at all. My car was a little dirty, but the automated systems tend to always get all the dirt out. I was happy with the way theyy washed the car, where like 4 guys with large cotton gloves hand washed with soap the exterior.

However, at the automated place the rugs were put through a machine that vacummed them and cleaned them very well. At the manaul place, one guy got them out and just banged them up to get the dirt out. But not all of it came out and I still could see some spots. With all the money I paid, I expected my car to be completely clean inside and out. As for the gloss, the exterior showed no increase in shine. It looked even shinier when I took it through the automated systems. I was very disappointed.

I know I can't put my car through the automated systems because my paint will suffer, but then the manual was wasn't as clean and costs a lot more. For now, I'll try the other place in Utica avenue and see if I get better results there. If that doesn't work, then I'll have to wash my car myself at my cousin's house on the weekend. All this maintenence stuff with new cars suck. It's like the onld Puff Daddy song "more money, more problems."

Thanks for the recommendations though, Glen.