CAR ALARM

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2001, 05:40 PM

Question CAR ALARM

I am kinda of new to this, so please help. Thank ahead!!!

Looks like I am going to need some kind of security for my car. Is LowJack worth a purchase? I am considering that.

Now, car alarm. I know the alarm that Acura put in is not great. Looks pretty bottom line to me. I heard that I could add additional features to the factory installed one? Is it true? If it’s, what features can I add on top of that and how much will it cost me?

After I hear stories, I do want to protect my car. =)
Old 04-26-2001, 06:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Do a search on this topic we go thru it twice a week. I always say get a mid range Clifford or High end Clifford or High end Viper. It all depends on what features you want. I got the Clifford because it had built in anticarjacking & self-recovery subsystem. This will let you get the car back yourself. It only allows the car to be driven about 200 feet. This feature I find works better than Lojack. Its very easy to use & its fully automatic. So this works as even if the person has the keys & alarm remote to the car.The System will shut down the engine to the car & the alarm will go off in full blast & the car can't be restarted. It can be started by you with your own personal code that you have enterd.
I find this works better than Lojack the only draw back is if they have a tow truck & the chances of that are slim. You can also get the digital/tilt motion sensor that detects lifting of your car & sets off the alarm.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/51% Tint/Weathertech Floormats /Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips
Old 05-05-2001, 01:06 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

How do aftermarket alarms interact with and/or affect the factory alarm? Can the features used by the factory remote be programmed into an aftermarket alarm?
Old 05-05-2001, 01:20 AM
Intermediate

How much is the mid range Clifford system?
and where can I have it installed?
Old 05-05-2001, 01:32 AM
Drifting

hyc...you're in socal too like lonny right?

well if you guys like you can try my buddies at ben stereo in the city of industry (stimson and gale). they sell clifford and have been doing so for a long time. they will definitely try to give you the best competitive price.

you can ask for chris (if you need a name)

i believe add-on alarms to factory systems provide for more sensors and possibly some convenience features like window/roof control. the factory remote is limited by the number of channels it has, while most aftermarket alarm remotes can do about a dozen at the most.
Old 05-05-2001, 11:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by lonny:
How do aftermarket alarms interact with and/or affect the factory alarm? Can the features used by the factory remote be programmed into an aftermarket alarm?
Here is a link to Clifford alarms. www.directed.com just click clifford & it will go to the link & you can type in your zip for a dealer near you. As for your question how do they affect or interact with the factory alarm. The way mine is hooked up the factory alarm does not work when the clifford on. The factory alarm is still active. Example when I took my car in for an oil change at the dealer last week. I put the Clifford in the Valet mode then I locked the door with the key. This is when the factory alarm will work. the dealer opened the door with key this turned off factory alarm. I then came out to pick up the car from service & forgot to unlock the door with key but opened the trunk with Clifford Remote The horn honked & all that stuff.When the Clifford is active all the factory stuff is not. If you have the TL Type-S I think you would have to give up the factory remote seat feature if you get an aftermarket.This is no big deal since you can do it from the inside on the door. The Clifford Master Remote will let you adjust & turn on/off some alarm sensors on your car. If you get auto/start feature of course it will let you start your car by remote. The price range is probaly $500 & up this depends on what model you get. Most of the mid range models you can put add-ons to. I added a pager to mine & dataport link. This will let you change alarm sounds times of duration of alarm & other stuff yourself by laptop PC. Some models have features already included others don't. I looked at the accessory page & you can add more chaneels to the remote it might work for memory seat feature.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by FTM-1 on May 05, 2001 @ ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by FTM-1 on May 05, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-06-2001, 04:17 AM
Racer

Stanman....
Hey how long have you been dealing w/ ben's stereo? are they friends of yours or just know them from doing business?