Can I save my transmission or is it toast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2024, 04:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Wait wait wait.. going back to the original post, this was a 2008 TL transmission? are you sure? Those things are supposed to be super stout.. how did it die already
Yes, I’m positive it’s a 2008 tranny. That’s what the dealership told me when they did it, and it was repeated to me when I brought it back in later on. That’s exactly what I’m trying to figure out. Why did it die already? Is it because I never changed the transmission fluid and filter after the upgrade was done?
Old 05-22-2024, 12:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
Originally Posted by macselite
Yes, I’m positive it’s a 2008 tranny. That’s what the dealership told me when they did it, and it was repeated to me when I brought it back in later on. That’s exactly what I’m trying to figure out. Why did it die already? Is it because I never changed the transmission fluid and filter after the upgrade was done?

why would you not do common maintenance on a brand new transmission for 15 years!?!?! did they do this under warranty or did you pay out of pocket? If you have the receipts id love to confirm they mated the 08 trans to the 02 engine and if they replaced the torque converter as well.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:58 PM
Intermediate

why would you not do common maintenance on a brand new transmission for 15 years!?!?! did they do this under warranty or did you pay out of pocket? If you have the receipts id love to confirm they mated the 08 trans to the 02 engine and if they replaced the torque converter as well.
It had been almost 17 years since the transmission fluid was changed before I just changed it, because I didn’t know you had to change the transmission fluid. I had an Integra before the TL, and I also bought that one with around 60,000 miles on it, and I drove it until it died with 212,000 miles on it, and I never changed the transmission fluid on that either.

The previous owner of this TL had two transmission failures before I bought it. A few months after I bought it, the transmission went again. It failed a few days after the warranty ended, but the dealer was nice enough to charge me only $330 to replace the transmission with an ‘08 transmission, since it was just a few days after the warranty, and I got a 3 year warranty with the new ‘08 tranny. I’m not sure if they replaced the torque converter as well, nor am I sure if I have the receipt for it since it was almost 17 years ago. Maybe the dealer still has it in their database.

When I went in later for some service, they did mention again that the tranny was an ‘08.

Old 05-24-2024, 08:07 PM
Intermediate

I have an update. I just drove the car again today, and I was able to drive it for 1hr and 34 min, taking me 35 miles, and the tranny never slipped!

I’ve driven it about 100 miles total since I did the fluid change and added Lucas Transmission Fix. Do you guys think it fixed my transmission, or at least bought me some time? Maybe my transmission was so bad that it took that many miles of driving for Lucas to work?
Old 05-24-2024, 08:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 598 Likes on 443 Posts
^ I'll answer your question with a story. Around 15 Years ago I purchased an 99 accord accord for my wife w/around 100k. Within a yr the trans started slipping. Tried lucas to see if it would help. But, the damage was already done. Gas mileage was getting to the teens and the car was starting to shudder on takeoff. Fix was to convert the car to manual.

The point is, Lucas won't restore worn out friction material... it makes the fluid thicker. All autos fail eventually.
Old 05-25-2024, 07:08 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 619rcr
^ I'll answer your question with a story. Around 15 Years ago I purchased an 99 accord accord for my wife w/around 100k. Within a yr the trans started slipping. Tried lucas to see if it would help. But, the damage was already done. Gas mileage was getting to the teens and the car was starting to shudder on takeoff. Fix was to convert the car to manual.

The point is, Lucas won't restore worn out friction material... it makes the fluid thicker. All autos fail eventually.
Yes, I know that Lucas won’t fix physical damage, but I’m not convinced there is physical damage, because I stopped driving it the day it started slipping, aside from the few short times I drove it to test it. But I can’t imagine that there is physical damage when I’m able to drive it for over an hour and a half, driving 35 miles, and it doesn’t slip once.

What does everyone else think?
Old 05-25-2024, 09:17 AM
Drifting

Received 823 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by macselite
Yes, I know that Lucas won’t fix physical damage, but I’m not convinced there is physical damage, because I stopped driving it the day it started slipping, aside from the few short times I drove it to test it. But I can’t imagine that there is physical damage when I’m able to drive it for over an hour and a half, driving 35 miles, and it doesn’t slip once.

What does everyone else think?
The reason it slips is because the clutch material has burned off. It's gone. That was all the black stuff on your drain plug. That IS the physical damage. Lucas thickens the oil so the fluid "grabs" the worn out clutches a little bit better for a while. It's temporary. How long it will last is anybody's guess. Eventually your trans will go "poof" and that will be the end of it.

The following users liked this post:
619rcr (05-25-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 10:10 AM
USAF Veteran

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts
Be convinced. The evidence is all over your drain plug. My '01 had 221K when I bought it from a relative. I felt a slight slip between 3-4. Trans was previously serviced around 180K. Did the drain and fill. This was my drain plug on the first drop.

I also cleaned the solenoids and screens, replaced the trans filter. Did 2 more drain and fill. Drain plug still had material on it but amount diminished with each cycle. Slippage seemed gone when done. Didn't last long maybe 1000 miles (maybe less). Since mine is not a DD anymore, it will take months to accumulate that kind of mileage. Also, since I know where it happens I just back off the gas as I approach the shift point to make the shift a bit softer. Otherwise it shifts great. Engine runs great. No CEL. When I feel the slip getting a bit worse, I do a drain and fill (1 cycle) and press on. So I'm just gonna drive it until it croaks and then deal with it.

No reason for you to stop driving it if it seems OK, but don't think it's all better now. Just be mindful that you may need to repeat the process in a few months.
Old 05-26-2024, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

OP wants us to give him hope but all we’re doing is giving him the cold hard truth
Old 05-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the info, guys. I appreciate it. And I'm not looking for hope. I just want a consensus. I prefer the cold hard truth, so I know what I'm dealing with.

Although I was able to get the transmission to behave, at least for a little while, another problem popped up, and this one also seems to be serious. When I opened up the radiator cap, and looked at the bottom of the cap, and the inside of the filler hole for the radiator, I saw a tan and milky substance (I don't have any pics, unfortunately). So I did some research, and it looks like oil is getting into the coolant. The engine is not over heating, no white smoke is coming from the exhaust, and both the motor oil and transmission fluid look fine when I look at their respective dipsticks. There was a loss of coolant and oil, and when I was filling up the coolant, it was bubbling over, even though it was not full yet.

Here are the possible causes that were listed that seem relevant:

Blown head gasket
Cracked engine block or cylinder head

Because of this, I just reduced the price of my listing.

I'm just blown away that I was able to drive it for an hour and a half with no issues, and then this symptom pops up.

Thoughts on the possible cause?
Old 05-26-2024, 01:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Could also be transmission fluid mixing with the coolant. That might be the reason why you’re having trans issues.
Old 05-26-2024, 01:16 PM
Intermediate

Could also be transmission fluid mixing with the coolant. That might be the reason why you’re having trans issues.
Yes, that was one of the causes listed. But it said if this were the cause, then the transmission fluid would also be milky, which it’s not. Thoughts?
Old 05-26-2024, 04:55 PM
Senior Moderator