Can I Fight The Dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 08:26 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I Fight The Dealer?

Well I posted these pics before, they are my HORRIFIC paint job on my car. I finally got some common sense and noticed they are the layers of the paint peeling off.

Well My question is will the Dealer repaint or at least discount a paint job on a 99 Acura TL with 57,000 miles? Note that I am the second owner and it was a lease car. The reason I ask this is that I had a 1995 Nissan 240sx that the paint wasn't even close to being as bad as this paint job. I barely washed my Nissan and my mom has a 2000 Toyota that the paint is beautiful and the only washing it gets is rain and a sun dry. Having dealt with toyotas nissans and Jags and none having this problem I don't see how even if the previous owner left it in the sun and never waxed it how this could happen.

Can I go to the Dealer and say its a defect? Will/Can they do something for me. You think I can get them to repaint it? I would MUCH rather spend $2500 on rims or a Avic-N1.

:blaze:

These are all 3 different spots on the car.

Old 09-03-2004, 08:31 PM
Kollage is funn!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ekkk! wow, that's really bad. dunno but if they don't cover the paint job you could always save some money and go to MACO....i think it's like $200-$400....
Old 09-03-2004, 08:43 PM
Speaker City Rocks

If you bought the car from ACURA, was it "certified"? If so you may get somewhere..they are in the luxury car business and they want to keep customers. My TL is firepepper red also and my paint looks great I have 59k on mine and it is a 99.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:46 PM
8 Foot Asian

Damn!!!!

Mako these nutz, Looks like you should feed the painters of this job to some mako sharks. Bra man, don't be a push over cause it will never get you anywhere in life, go in there and raise hell. Be professional about it, go in there and don't take no for an answer. Be a dickhead, but also be diplomatic. (Dont walk in there with shorts and a tank top) tell them the truth, I bet they will see the light. :P
Old 09-03-2004, 08:50 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Naw I work for a Credit Union and they leased the car to a woman. The lease was up and she turned the car in and I bought it. The paint was starting to peel but it didn't look that bad, basically it is getting worse. I got it for a cheaper price and was going to paint it when I started thinking that this is ODD as hell so I wanted to see if I could go in and get it fixed for free if its a manufacturing defect.

BTW when you lease a car don't you have to check in with the dealer ever so often?
Old 09-03-2004, 08:57 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

HAHA Trust I went in there with dress shirt and pants. I have a meeting set up with the Service Manager but I need a good Argument...

1) I am not the Original Owner

2) I technically have no idea what happened to the car

I am thinking up shit all the time till I go see them so I can have a good argument, thats why I need your guys help.

BTW F**K MAACO AND ECONO PAINT AND ANY OTHER $100 PAINT JOB!!! IF IT AINT AT LEAST 2 GRAND I DON'T TRUST IT! UNLESS ITS FREE

Oh yeah does anyone on this board work for Acura?
Old 09-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure to try and think of all the reasons why he will tell you no, so you know how to respond too.

And good job about saying no to maaco I know someone who got his car done there and well, he got what he payed for, and he didnt pay them too much at all.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:14 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Definitely try arguing that it is a defect and unacceptable in terms of quality. Try not to mention the previous owner since you have no idea who this person was and how they maintained the car, etc. ...Just deal with the facts --- they cannot argue FACTS. Go to any other car on the lot and ask them to compare the paint on your car to the others. I'm sure there are other people who might not have taken care of their paint as well and I bet their paint isn't peeling!!

Regardless of what the previous owner did and didn't do, the paint just should NOT be in such a condition!! I mean - that is your true argument, isn't it?? Even though the car is a '99 - that is still reasonably 'new' when you consider that some people can own cars for 10-12 years, with hundreds of thousands of miles, and not have this happen.

I totally believe that they should be responsible for repainting your car. That's my own personal belief right now (not knowing any more details) and I'm sure some might not agree... I drove a '92 car (non-Acura) for almost 300,000kms, never parked it in the garage, and it didn't have a spot of rust on it and nowhere near the paint chips and stuff that I've found with the TL. My TL doesn't look anything like yours of course, but I have found a dramatic difference in paint quality with this car compared to what I was used to.

If the manager isn't helpful, just continue up the ladder and find someone else to speak with.