Cai

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cai

What does a cold air intake do for your car?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
helps get colder air int the engine, which = more HP
Old 12-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Instructor

Is it a significant increase? Its a relatively cheap performance mod so contemplating adding it. Also would that void out any warranties....ie any advers affects to the engine?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chauncey
What does a cold air intake do for your car?

wow...
Old 12-08-2005, 09:55 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
will no void warranty. should give decent gain and sounds very nice. You could go cheap and just get a K&N filter and remove your intake resonators like many have done. Won't give much performance(some but not much), but sounds very good and your MGP will go up slightly 1-2MPG.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PenancE
wow...
What's to "wow" about?

The guy just asked a question. This is a forum, right.

Someone posts questions and someone answers them.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:54 PM
Wallace, LA

It is just a question that has been beaten to death. It gets old. That having been said, we were all new at one point so no need to get upset.

A CAI brings colder air from outside the car (or atleast not air from the engine bay like short ram air intakes do). The colder the air the denser it is and thus more can be stuffed into the engine. The CAI's are less restrictive than the stock intakes and thus increase air flow to the engine. Also, because they are less restrictive they are louder. So now you have MORE COLDER air to feed your car. Gives between 10-15HP at the crank and 7-10 HP at the wheels.

Most popular choices are the Comptech Ice Box which looks stock and isn't so loud. Also, it's filter is located in the engine bay and not behind the bumper thus making it a safer choice in the rain/water. Gains are as advertised above.

The other main choice is the AEM V2. It is louder than the Ice Box and doesn't look stock. However it's filter is right behind the bumper thus making it more susceptible hydrolocking. However, really this is a none issue because you would have to drive thorugh a foot or more of standing water for this to happen, and which point you have other problems too. Gains are as advertised.

Hope that helps. Just consider doing a search next time.
Old 12-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Instructor

I did try doing a search and I wish all of you that beat the "do the search" lecture to death should try searching on this forum. It has to be the most restrictive, least user friendly search engine I have ever had the displeasure to use. If you end up getting a decent result from your search terms half the time you have to wade through someone listing their mods in order to even glean the information your searching for. And thats if your lucky

I am not a gearhead. I have never been a gearhead. I havent been into performance cars and am just getting into modifying the stock look and performace of any car outside of Plugs, Brakes, and Wheels. If I dont know what a CAI, Coilovers, or whatever nomenclature that is completely foreign to me then I dont expect to get dissed for asking the question. If your not interested in the topic of of the thread then stay out of the thread. Noone asked for smartass comments and noone appreciates them.

And finally penancE...
Old 12-09-2005, 12:46 AM
Holdin it down for MS

Haha, you get points for cracking on people who list their mods and shit.

I feel you on that one.

It's all good dude, some people are just assholes about stuff like that. Everyone is a beginner at something.

Sadly for some here, it's being cordial...
Old 12-09-2005, 08:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Yes i agree with you, the search button and its finding can lead to lots of reading with out difinitive answers sometimes. Atleast you tried.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:12 AM
99TL-p 114K

Wink

Hey, ill back you up on this topic man. I was once really new too. I mean, There are still lots of questions i ask about other little things i dont know how to do or what not. Anyways aside from that, buddy up there answered your Q pretty good i think. Later yo.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:26 PM
Cruisin'

Here's a newb question. Do I need to remove my bumper to install the v2?
Old 12-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Derek3.2
No but it makes the install faster. Removing the bumper takes all of 5 min and is very easy
Old 12-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Derek3.2
I did when I put mine in originally and it just makes everything much easier. You can pull back the inner wheel well plastic also, but having the bumper off gives you a better angle and more room.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:17 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^^^^ 5mins if you are super faster, 10-15mins for bumper and an intake is easy to install. I would get headers first before an intake any day. save the 200-300 towards headers first then worry about an intake IMO.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:37 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the comments. Also thanks to TLSu for the great explanation. I spend alot of time on this forum and contribute where I can. I love my car and feel like this is a great place since so many other people feel the same way about their TL's. I just get so frustrated when I see people getting bashed for their questions. Or a post that just says search. I understand that helps cut down on the the posts in the forum that have been "beaten to death", but to many of us who have recently purchased the car these issues are new to us.

Since I have been here I have learned an incredible amount about my car which in turn feeds my desire to learn more. I wish everyone before attacking a guy with a dumb question would ask themselves how they would have felt if the first time they asked they were verbally raped for being a noob, or stupid, or not using the search function first.

I have been a regular on several forums and this is the first one where everyone seems to bang the search function drum. Ironically enough it is the worst I have ever come across. It is handy, dont get me wrong, but like I said really poorly implemented and if I just have a vague idea of what I am trying to accomplish the the words I use provide zip, or they are too short, or I have searched within the last 60 seconds, or I am reading yet another mod list, etc, etc, etc.

So forgive me for being a but I am not going to stop asking questions and posting in threads regardless of someone's personal opinion of me or my post.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the comments. Also thanks to TLSu for the great explanation. I spend alot of time on this forum and contribute where I can. I love my car and feel like this is a great place since so many other people feel the same way about their TL's. I just get so frustrated when I see people getting bashed for their questions. Or a post that just says search. I understand that helps cut down on the the posts in the forum that have been "beaten to death", but to many of us who have recently purchased the car these issues are new to us.

Since I have been here I have learned an incredible amount about my car which in turn feeds my desire to learn more. I wish everyone before attacking a guy with a dumb question would ask themselves how they would have felt if the first time they asked they were verbally raped for being a noob, or stupid, or not using the search function first.

I have been a regular on several forums and this is the first one where everyone seems to bang the search function drum. Ironically enough it is the worst I have ever come across. It is handy, dont get me wrong, but like I said really poorly implemented and if I just have a vague idea of what I am trying to accomplish the the words I use provide zip, or they are too short, or I have searched within the last 60 seconds, or I am reading yet another mod list, etc, etc, etc.

So forgive me for being a but I am not going to stop asking questions and posting in threads regardless of someone's personal opinion of me or my post.
Hey Dont listen to the people WHO abuse the search funtion word. They at one point were told to use it but were asking the same things. At 1 point or another we all were 's and we are all here to ask questions and to answer them to the best of our abilities.. Hell If it wernt for the new guys there would be very little for us regulars. Use teh search functon, and when all else fails ASK.............. Thats what we are here for!
Old 12-10-2005, 10:00 AM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Hey Dont listen to the people WHO abuse the search funtion word. They at one point were told to use it but were asking the same things. At 1 point or another we all were 's and we are all here to ask questions and to answer them to the best of our abilities.. Hell If it wernt for the new guys there would be very little for us regulars. Use teh search functon, and when all else fails ASK.............. Thats what we are here for!

I think my first thread was a CAI one.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Thanks guys
Old 12-10-2005, 11:32 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
my first thread was about clearing out the headlamps.. like way backk when i first joined.

i tried to search it, but it wasnt too popular and some of these guys really bashed me for not using the search feature. i did try it, but i didnt even get anything of what i wanted, most of the results were people complaining about their headlamps fogging up AFTER they cleared it. which is no use..

but good luck with your CAI desicion. its definitly a good mod. sounds good, not a hard install, get some performance, and definitly helps the engine look a big cleaner.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:35 AM
99TL-p 114K

Thanks guys
Get an INJEN Cold Air Intake. I just installed mine as you can see in the Second Gen Forum and this shit is SICK. The sound is fucken awsome. You can here it sucking in sooooo much air and when you hit V-TEC omg, shit just roars. You can deff here it outside the car nicely too. Deff a must have mod i think. I'll even guide you through the install if need be since i ran into some confusion with the hoses. Later.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Racer

I should have been born all knowing
I am getting ready to ask a few question soon too, if I get laugh at, so be it