A/C Evaporator Drain Line Location

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016 | 04:31 PM
4th Gear

A/C Evaporator Drain Line Location

Hello all, I have a 2000 Acura TL that basically has all the typical 2G issues, a slipping transmission (been driving in sport shift for 2 years), cruise control throttle cable plastic holder broken (I used to move it or tape it up and be able to use it for a little while, leaking fuel injectors that make the car start like crap if it sits for 15-30 minutes, and of course either a clogged A/C evaporator drain line or moonroof drain line.

I also have a passenger side door lock that sticks most of the time and my car has been getting bad gas mileage since getting a oil change with Kendall Synthetic Blend before winter. I probably should've left the Valvoline MaxLife in.

Some background, I moved to Wisconsin from Florida about 6 months ago. Before I moved the A/C worked fine for cold air. While in Wisconsin I've only used the A/C for hot air until recently. Now I can only get very slightly cooled air when playing with all the settings. I also hear a sloshing water noise by the passenger side dash.

I tried looking for the drain line under the glove compartment but I only see the evaporator compartment going to the firewall exactly like in the included picture of someone's Accord. The one reply from that post said the evaporator compartment would need to be removed Freon drained and I'd like to know whether or not that's true.

I think I found the little nub of the drain line on the firewall in the engine compartment and I got a little water out with some compressed air but it was a pain to get to and I want to be sure I'm spraying the right place before trying again.

Thanks anyone for your help!
Attached Thumbnails A/C Evaporator Drain Line Location-ac-evaporator-drain-line.jpg  
Old 04-17-2016 | 06:32 PM

Yes in order to remove the evaporator the Freon has to be drained..
Most likely something clogged the drain tube in the evaporator (Ive seen big debris stuck in there before).. Try removing the cabin filters and see if you can spot the drain hole, You could also use compressed air from the outside to push any debris clogging it.
Old 08-31-2022 | 10:48 PM
4th Gear

I ended up having to rebuild the evap with a new core this year (been back in Florida for a few years). The evap housing with filled with leaves clogging the drain line probably as well. The low and high valve cores also needed to be replaced, also replaced dryer. A/C's been holding Freon for 3 months, was previously dumping freon into the cabin and out the valve cores, would hold freon for 1-2 weeks if it was barely ran.

Transmission was 07 Accord V6 swapped a couple years ago (found out it was way higher mileage than I would've liked after that fact when I dug into the VIN, but good enough).
Power steering rack was replaced, twice. Don't get an A/C Delco reman from Rock Auto, probably obvious to experienced people. No idea what's on it now but it doesn't leak (second one was done by same mechanic that did the transmission). High pressure line, pump, and o-rings replaced a couple years before that. Pump and 1st rack were installed during timing belt maintenance by a not very good mechanic.
Cruise Control Throttle holder was not broken. The wire running from the brake pedal switch to the brake failure sensor in the truck failed or corroded somehow and eventually failed completely. A friend spliced in and help me run a jumper wire which along with being able to shift without overriding the shift solenoid brought back cruise control.
Front suspension redone including CV's, all mounts replaced.
Other stupid things like replacing the bar with a plastic grommet for the windshield wiper linkage, 1 OEM coil replaced by ear in the snow with a quality Valuecraft, a radiator drained and replaced on the side of a street, the stuck door locked being replaced, a window regulator being replaced, putting a new hose on the wiper fluid tube on the hood.

Updating in case this helps anyone else out there.
The following users liked this post:
#1ACtl (09-05-2022)