A/C controls with NAV, WTBFD???

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2001, 09:15 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
A/C controls with NAV, WTBFD???

What is the big freaking deal about having the air conditioning fan controls on the touch screen.

Every reviewer seems to mention this as a huge disadvantage of the TL w/NAV.

Can't they come up with something better? I have had two TL NAVs, and never said to myself, "gee, I wish the controls were not on the screen".

WHO CARES! Most of the time I just leave it on auto anyway.

How often do you guys actually use the fan speed controls?
Just change the temperature and the damn fan will come on.

To me, it's just another way for the people who don't want to shell out the 2K to justify their decision about not getting the NAVI.

Ask people who have lived with it, do you NAVI owners think it is a great pain????

(Excuse me now while I adjust my fan speed)

:-jon
Old 07-27-2001, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: A/C controls with NAV, WTBFD???

Originally posted by oblio98
What is the big freaking deal about having the air conditioning fan controls on the touch screen.

Every reviewer seems to mention this as a huge disadvantage of the TL w/NAV.

Can't they come up with something better? I have had two TL NAVs, and never said to myself, "gee, I wish the controls were not on the screen".

WHO CARES! Most of the time I just leave it on auto anyway.

How often do you guys actually use the fan speed controls?
Just change the temperature and the damn fan will come on.

To me, it's just another way for the people who don't want to shell out the 2K to justify their decision about not getting the NAVI.

Ask people who have lived with it, do you NAVI owners think it is a great pain????

(Excuse me now while I adjust my fan speed)

:-jon
Ummm...it doesn't bother me
Old 07-27-2001, 09:26 AM
Advanced

It doesn't bother me. Thankfully, you don't have to "Ok" that stupid liability screen just to get to the A/C controls. Anyone know how to disable that?

Anyway, I didn't buy the Nav for the A/C controls, so whatever Acura thinks they needed to do to save some dash space is fine with me. It's uncluttered, it's easy to get to and it's not terribly inconvenient.

And they made the buttons big enough for my big-a$$ fingers...

Erik
Old 07-27-2001, 09:54 AM
Drifting

Doesn't bother me at all, even when I do want to adjust the settings. Usually I leave it in Auto and forget about the settings.
Old 07-27-2001, 10:06 AM
Advanced

For those of us that live in the SW, that have to use extra window tint, the metal tint will disrupt the usefullness of the nav.
Old 07-27-2001, 10:08 AM
Banned

I like the A/C controls

On the touch screen. It makes me feel like I actually have something made in the year 2001! I hate f-ing knobs! :p
I also enjoy a touch screen remote control, ATM, palm pilot, etc......guess it's the IT geek in me!

Robb
Old 07-27-2001, 10:10 AM
Banned

This is the logic behind the complaint:

In most vehicles with physical climate controls (including the non-NAV TLs), after only a few days driving the car you get to know where the controls are and can make adjustments to the settings just by feeling the dash with your hand. This way you don't have to take your eyes off the road. Anyone who has switched CDs in the changer while driving can appreciate this. Although sometimes you may look down at the six buttons to pick which disc you want, you don't have to. Just slide your hand down to where the disc selection buttons are and "count" as you slide left or right to get to the button you want. Same goes for most of the other audio controls.

Now with the manual A/C controls on the NAV screen, there's no tactile "feel" to the 12 buttons on the screen. You have to actually look at the screen to make sure you're pressing the right buttons. After a while you know the general area of where the buttons are but you you're still guessing on the presses. Try it yourself and see--set your A/C off, vents to upper and lower and fan speed to 4 without looking at the display. Our non-NAV counterparts could probably do this no problem.

Now I've got the NAV and I don't mind at all. First of all, I think the auto-climate control is so efficient that I let it do the work 90% of the time. Only on 60-70 degree days do I shut off the A/C and make the adjustments for just vent air. Yes, my eyes do come off the road when I make the adjustments, but it's easy to get used to. I'm just playing devil's advocate here and explaining why the controls have been poorly received by many reviewers (and some true car enthusiasts like the editors at Car & Driver).

Heck, I'm gonna get into a wreck playing with the navi as it is
Old 07-27-2001, 11:33 AM
Pro

We just need to get use to it. I have to admit this is a major turn off for me not buying the one with nav. It is because in my I30t the nav. control and the A/C control unit is seperated.
Old 07-27-2001, 11:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up

It doesn't bother me a bit.
Old 07-27-2001, 11:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
American are too button happy. I love the design in TL, touch screen everything. Far better than my mountaing of buttons in my E39
Old 07-27-2001, 12:04 PM
Advanced

the only thing i'd like

is to be able to have non-a/c air without the hassle i go thru.

auto on
a/c
a/c off

anyone else find they have to shut off their air/vents before shutting down the car or you get that musty/mildew smell?
Old 07-27-2001, 12:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

I also can't see how the manual fan controls with the Nav are a problem. I have used the Nav screen every day that I use the car.
This has been 18 months now I think I did not use the map screen only twice in that time. Iam not trying to justify this because I spent 2K more for this on my car. I use my A/C during fall,spring & summer 98% of the time that I am in that car.
I only adjust the fan speed maybe once a week if then.
I use the automode & it does a fine job I adjust the fan speed more in the winter months. I don't see any problems with it at all.
I adjusted the fan speed more on my last 3 Hondas than this car.
The other cars had a knob to turn like most cars for fan speed.
I found this to be more trouble than the fan speeds being in the Nav screen on the TL. The people that write & complain about this have not even used the system for one complete day.
This is as easy to do as changing your radio station.
Old 07-27-2001, 12:43 PM
Intermediate

No big deal - the benefits of the Nav FAR outweigh this AC issue.

Almost all the reviews I've seen of the TL/TL-S mention this. I understand their point. Just be glad this (and some other minor items), is all they have to complain about.
Old 07-27-2001, 12:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

None at all. And I still have no need or desire to have NAV.
Old 07-27-2001, 01:56 PM
Drifting

I love them on screen.... I hate knobs.
Old 07-27-2001, 02:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: the only thing i'd like

Originally posted by JusMan
is to be able to have non-a/c air without the hassle i go thru.

auto on
a/c
a/c off

anyone else find they have to shut off their air/vents before shutting down the car or you get that musty/mildew smell?
Do you leave your system in the Recirculate mode all the time?
This is the yellow light being on all the time this will bring about the musty smell. When you turn the car off the green light should be on. The only time that you should have the yellow REC light on is if your in smokey or dusty conditions. The yellow REC light will also be on if the car is in the auto mode & trying to cool down to a preset temp. I have not had this musty problem with my TL & I run A/C most of the time. I did have it with my 90 Accord & my 94 Accord. With my 94 Accord I would try to turn off the REC button 10 min before the car was shut off. The TL has a more powerful A/C & a micron filter. I only put the system in REC for the reasons stated before. This is most likely your problem.
Old 07-27-2001, 11:13 PM
Pro

Cool

It is really a petty complaint at best! Works fine for me, just like anything else, you JUST get used to it.
Old 07-30-2001, 12:46 PM

Love my navi, don't mind the touch screen A/C controls.

What's this nonsense about "not wanting to look away from the road once I know where the buttons are"....? Paleeeeeze!!!

Ever look away from the road to see how fast your going, or what time it is, or what station the radio is on, or to look at another driver next to you, or to look at the dirt on your carpet???? What is the big deal about looking away from the friggin' road???

PRIMADONNAS!!!!!!
Old 07-30-2001, 12:52 PM
Intermediate

I kinda like it. I wish they would integrate more functions into it...like the Infinity Q45...oh voice ativated would be really cooooool too. I guess I just like the cool factor of these things.
Old 07-30-2001, 01:12 PM
O.G.

No complaining here. I'm also very happy that I can watch DVD movies on my nav screen too.
Old 07-30-2001, 01:58 PM
Instructor

I like that the controls are integrated with the Navi. The only thing I've noticed is if I get in my car and I want to hit the fan up to high, I've got to wait for the system to initialize. It doesn't take long but, I do wait a few. This is only if the car has been sitting in the sun at the mall or something, and I don't want to wait for the climate control to kick in. Other than that it's on auto 95% of the time.
Old 07-30-2001, 04:16 PM
Racer

I like it cuz it looks COOOOL... but then yeah it's not all that practical... but OH WELL..

and it bugs me when i want to just turn on the fan, with the A/C off... cuz whenever i press the fan speed (1-5) the A/C comes on automatically... then i have to preess A/C OFF.... i wonder if that's bad for the A/C? (for turning it on, then off after 1 second)....

are there any other ways to turn just the fan on w/o the A/C on??
Old 07-30-2001, 06:55 PM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It's pretty easy. I just set mine to 68 auto. If it gets too hot inside, it blows on high, once it is cooled down comfortably it blows on low. I don't freeze at all. I like it when I park outside and start the car, it shows 98. Right away it blows high for 2 minutes and adjust to low when the interior cools down.

I don't even tinker with it at all. :o
Old 07-30-2001, 10:51 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by 2001TL4KCdude
It's pretty easy. I just set mine to 68 auto. If it gets too hot inside, it blows on high, once it is cooled down comfortably it blows on low. I don't freeze at all. I like it when I park outside and start the car, it shows 98. Right away it blows high for 2 minutes and adjust to low when the interior cools down.

I don't even tinker with it at all. :o
Yeah, I set mine at 68 Auto at all times as well. Darn humid KC weather!
Old 07-31-2001, 03:08 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
No problem here either. Auto mode is so good that I just set it and leave it alone 99% of the time. As someone else mentioned, the only time I adjust it is on those 70 degree days where I want the fan on, but not the AC.

I have to admit when I first bought my car, I thought the NAVI was a toy. Trust me that you will use it more than you ever imagined. There were several times where I was stuck in a traffic jam and wondered if I could cut through a subdivision to my side. Typically you turn in, circle around and come back out where you started. I just clicked on the NAVI, and was able to follow a path out of the subdivision. Try do that at the spur of the moment with your paper maps. Just the time it has saved me by finding alternate routes has made it well worth the purchase.

The extra steps required to adjust fan speed in the extremely rare cases I need to have manual control are well worth the benefits.
Old 08-01-2001, 01:49 AM
Racer

Doesnt bother me at all...i think its kinda cool.