A/C Air Conditioning Recharge Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 05:42 PM
Stock TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A/C Air Conditioning Recharge Cost?

My A/C isn't as cold as I feel it should be when i compared it to my buddy's 01 accord. I've changed the cabin air filter and the air does blow harder, but not colder.

I've read other threads regarding recharging the low, but i'm not feeling confident I should do it myself due to overcharging/undercharging issues.
https://acurazine.com/....137025
https://acurazine.com/....137117

(I'm from the bay area)
What should I expect to pay if I take it in (parts/labor)?
Any recommended shops in San Jose area?
Anything I should look for or mention to the shop?
Old 06-08-2006, 09:50 PM
Graphic/Web Designer

My dad just had the same problem with his Lightning. He used some can that he got from pep-boys and now he said it blows cold as ice. I don't know too much about it but it seems lilke it's fairly simple to do. You just put the whole can in I believe.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:21 PM
I=X - optomos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most places will charge various prices (89.99-100+?) to test and inspect the AC system + some include a small amount of freon in their price to top off the system & anything after that is charged by the amount of freon they need to use. Any repairs that your system might need if they find issues with are also extra and this is where you have to be carefull. Some places like to pad the bill by finding problems that don't exist. Just find a reputable shop.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:52 PM
9th Gear

A common fault in AC systems is a bad thermostatic expansion valve. First symptom is not enough cooling, then it progresses to no cooling. Time for a pro.
If it is running "low" on freon, all that really means is that you have a leak in your system.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:33 AM
Stock TL

Originally Posted by masterbyte
A common fault in AC systems is a bad thermostatic expansion valve. First symptom is not enough cooling, then it progresses to no cooling. Time for a pro.
If it is running "low" on freon, all that really means is that you have a leak in your system.
excuse my . Is a leak typical or is the system meant to be seal tight?
Old 06-09-2006, 05:48 AM
I=X - optomos

Originally Posted by FreeIsGood
excuse my . Is a leak typical or is the system meant to be seal tight?
Seal tight yes, but freon can still escape through the hoses and other areas. A frig does not loose any because it is a closed system (welded copper tubing throughout) while a car is not, it is meant to be opened up.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:54 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by optomos
Seal tight yes, but freon can still escape through the hoses and other areas. A frig does not loose any because it is a closed system (welded copper tubing throughout) while a car is not, it is meant to be opened up.
<br>??, Are you saying that a car is supposed to leak freon? The reason for the rubber hoses is because a car drives down the road, a fridge has the copper tubing because it sits in one place. Its not subject to what a car must endure. Once again, if your a/c system is low on freon, you must fix the leak before re-charging.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Stock TL

Originally Posted by masterbyte
<br>??, Are you saying that a car is supposed to leak freon? The reason for the rubber hoses is because a car drives down the road, a fridge has the copper tubing because it sits in one place. Its not subject to what a car must endure. Once again, if your a/c system is low on freon, you must fix the leak before re-charging.
Thanks for all the info. I wonder if my extended warranty can possibly cover this type of repair. I'll have to dig out the document.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:12 PM
I=X - optomos

Over a long period of time your ac system will lose freon because of the materials used. Just because someone is low on freon does not mean they have a "leak". The automotive AC system is inherently "leaky" over long period of time.