Buying TL in Calif / out-of-state buyer question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2001, 09:21 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying TL in Calif / out-of-state buyer question

I live in Reno, Nevada, which doesn't have an Acura dealership. The dealerships I spoke with in Northern California said they have to "deliver" the car in Nevada, across the Calif. border, for which they want to charge me several $ hundred (driver fees).

However, I've seen some stories of people traveling to Southern California just to get the best TL prices, then driving the car back home. I remember one about someone in Dallas, Texas, doing this.

So -- is the fee legit ? If not, I'm ready to start checking with So.Cal. dealers for a better price than the No.Cal. ones are offering.

(Looking for a TL-S, non-nav.; the No.Cal. dealers are in the $30.8K range; the Las Vegas, NV dealer offered $30.4K... if I can beat that in So.Cal. by a significant amount, I'll do the drive.)

Thanks for any input !
-Karl
Old 09-15-2001, 10:37 AM
Drifting

Why don't you fly in to Nor Cal, buy the car and drive back. Reno isn't that far of a drive from SF at all. I've driven to Reno from SF before and it took me about 2-3 hours?? I don't remember exactly long it was but I know it was pretty close.
Old 09-15-2001, 12:08 PM
Cruisin'

Wink

S Cal is more competitive and you should be able to get a better price. TL-S non-nav is about $32 out the door.

My suggestion is gather the phone numbers of S Cal dealers (from Acura.com) and call them to neogotiate for a good deal, then fly over to pick up the car and drive home. There are none legit fee as I'm aware of. Check to see if you may be able to save the sales tax since you are from out state. The cons is that you are adding a lots of mileage to your new car.
Old 09-15-2001, 12:30 PM
Advanced

Hey Karl,

I actually bought my 99tl at Falconi's Acura of Las Vegas (used to live there). Why don't you just take a Vegas trip and pick up your tl at the same time?

Drazz
Old 09-15-2001, 12:34 PM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Drazzilb01
Hey Karl,

I actually bought my 99tl at Falconi's Acura of Las Vegas (used to live there). Why don't you just take a Vegas trip and pick up your tl at the same time?

Drazz
makes more sense to buy in the state you reside. The revenue and tax will benefit your state's bottom line.
Old 09-16-2001, 10:31 AM
Cruisin'

No.Cal / Vegas

Falconi's in Las Vegas had a decent price ($30.4K), but *heavily* lowballed me on my trade (2000 Camaro Z28 -- they said $15K, didn't care about condition or options.... book trade suggests range should be more like $19-20K).

The main point of my starting this thread was to ask whether a California dealership can force an out-of-state buyer to take delivery in his home state; i.e., can a Calif. dealer charge a fee for transporting the vehicle to the state line before handing it over ?

-Karl
Old 09-16-2001, 11:46 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: No.Cal / Vegas

Originally posted by Karl_O
Falconi's in Las Vegas had a decent price ($30.4K), but *heavily* lowballed me on my trade (2000 Camaro Z28 -- they said $15K, didn't care about condition or options.... book trade suggests range should be more like $19-20K).

The main point of my starting this thread was to ask whether a California dealership can force an out-of-state buyer to take delivery in his home state; i.e., can a Calif. dealer charge a fee for transporting the vehicle to the state line before handing it over ?

-Karl
No, as long as you drive it home.
Old 09-16-2001, 01:40 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Two questions. How and where will you get your TL-S serviced. My parents have a Lexus ES300 and lived in San Luis Obispo. The closest Lexus dealership was 2.5 hours away in Oxnard. I mention this because it was an enormous pain in the a$$ to get the car serviced. The Toyota dealership (the closest alternative) didn't know what the he!! they were doing. Keep this in mind before you purchase.

But if you pick the TL-S, congrats.
Old 09-16-2001, 11:39 PM
Cruisin'

Service

Since there's no Acura dealer in Reno, I'd end up taking the TL-S to the Honda dealer here for any kind of warranty service.

For non-warranty service (e.g. routine maintenance), I'll just do it myself. I do all my own car repairs whenever possible, since I've found that it's cheaper & better than having a shop do it. I avoid labor charges and I know the job is done right... also, I know I'm not getting ripped off, and I won't damage or dirty up the car during service. I just hate bringing my car in for work anywhere...

-Karl
Old 09-17-2001, 01:11 AM
Instructor

would the honda dealer be able/willing to do warranty work on acuras?