to buy or not to buy???? (TL G's: your advice needed!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 08:15 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to buy or not to buy???? (TL G's: your advice needed!)

i am currently living in california, however im moving to Mass in less than a month. i wanted to buy an acura, preferably a Cl. however, my dad wants a sedan, so i began searching for a Tl type S. i found one that looked great at this website.

http://www.cars.com/search/used/cc/s...onal&src=&cid=

i wanted to know if this seems like a good deal, and if i should go for it. also, i wanted to know about the best upgrades available for tl's. how is the sound system? how is the drivE? does the car feel fast when you're driving it, or does it feel like ur driving a car as long as a tl is? please give me some help, thanx.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:58 PM
Cruisin'

well, its not a sport car, so without some major upgrades you are going to get around having your ass kicked by srt-4(neon), evos(mitsubish), sti(subaru), gt's (mustang), 350z, amongst a lot of other compact cars that are alot cheaper then our tls. Now About confort I would not change my tls for any of the cars that I mentioned. The factory installed bose system is ok, ride's good, feels powerfull but again, its not a sport car, so, you have to decide what do you want in a car. Confort/convenience/space or power/speed. I love my car, dont take me wrong, but think twice before deciding!!!
Old 05-30-2004, 12:24 PM
Instructor

Don't buy that Mass. car! It's been driven in the salt-laden snow there & has interior rusting. Buy one here in California, then take it to Mass.!

p.s. Why in the world do you want to go to MA?
Old 05-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Cruisin'

maybe he likes snow
Old 05-30-2004, 05:43 PM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn, CAL is so much nicer bro!
Old 05-30-2004, 10:39 PM
6th Gear

:yack: MASS
:ar15: MASS
=CALIIII

my dad just got a job in mass, and i gotta leave cali for my sr year in HS, whatta bitch. because were moving, we will have two cars: the lexus gx my dad just bought, and whatever car we decide to buy now. i originally wanted a subaru wrx, but my dad said 'we need a car taht everyone can drive, bla bla bla,' or to put it in simpler terms, 'im a noob and dont wanna learn stick.' so, because i cant get a RWD car, cuz ill be spinnin around in the snow, i havta get either a awd or fwd drivetrain. my dad wants a car taht he can drive around, so no sporty cars. this is where the TL type S comes into play. this car is fast enough to satisfy me (for now) and looks like a mature enough car. little does my dad know that when he buys it, its gonna get a few lil presents (exhaust, intake, etc). . with all the restrictions i have, i think the Tl type S is the best choice, (he says he doesnt want a coupe either). I was looking at Audi s4's also, tell me what you think. any reccomendations or advice greatly appreciated!

thanx bro's
Old 05-31-2004, 07:40 AM
@ slide or die @

man give your dad one of those famous cali chill cigs...pot...The WRX handles 100000x better in snow than the TL, stick is something to learn in a week of driving + its fun...you might as well get a soccer mom van to fit all the requirements you dad wants.

take the type-S and mod its looks atleast or get any of the A4s, they're all awesome, i like those better than the TL, your wallet wont.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:46 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

I say go for the TL-s. The WRX is a kids car, sorry to say but there is no way you would buy that car if you had kids, a business that you had to carry any supplies, to travel with people and luggage or if you just wanted a little comfort and luxury while driving...Plus the WRX's all look the same!!!! BLUE right?? and the internal components work so well together there is almost no point to do any upgrades.. The suspension, you would be an idiot to touch (that's why people by the WRX), the engine is only a four and it is putting out almost all of the horses it ever will..

Like the new NEON ?SRT? or whatever it's called.. The thing has 210hp and is the second fastest car by Chrystler - second to the fricken VIPER!!!! But the main thing to look at is that the car already has two turbos, no mufflers, nice gauges for the turbos, body kit, and it is probably lower than the normal neon.. let me ask you one thing - WHAT CAN YOU DO TO THIS CAR???? nothing!! they have basically watched what people do to their econo cars after purchasing... and are now making the car like that and getting the profit themselfs, but there is almost nothing further that can be done to the engine - so how you buy it is how it will stay - stock looking - and a common sight on every other street corner...

For the Audi a4. if it isn't a 2.8, I wouldn't bother wasting your time. I was leaning twords the a4 because of the winters here in Canada. But I spoke with many Audi owners and they told me thay wouldn't buy another because of the shabby service and the way they were treated by the dealership for warranty issues and regular maintence.. The exact quote that I had heard from multiple owners was " I was treated like I bought a golf or a Jetta, not an audi" The service for an Acura is more geared twords the luxury end (I know many will argue this, I'm trying to point out it is not as good as BMW or Mercades treatment. However, it is much better than the Audi service).. After being d#cked around too many times with Audi my buddy just got a CLK430.

I love theTL, even in winter, plus if you get a newer one it has VSA which is much better than the avg FWD car so you will still have an advantage. Plus with a TL there is a ton of MODS to do to make you car stand out from the avg TL.IMO
Old 05-31-2004, 06:24 PM
@ slide or die @

correction, the new srt has only 1turbo, 230hp and a 0-60time of 5.6 + it starts at 20Gs!!!...RWD so his dad wont approve.

TL-S or Audo A4, one powerfull and could look good (granny look) and anotherone has the looks and everything else but lacks power...has anyone seen how incredibly sick the new audi RS6 is?
Old 05-31-2004, 08:56 PM
6th Gear

Lightbulb

i see what all of you guys are saying, and i did some research of my own. i found the 2002 audi a4 (although lacks power) handles great in the snow, and looks awesome as well. the 1.8 is incredibly slow (0-60 is 8+ :yack: ), and the 3.0 isnt much faster either. however, the car looks sharp. i found this one on sale

and it looks good to me. or is this better?

i know the s4 is WAY faster, however that is a 2001, and doesnt look as good. So, knowing how much u guys know about this stuff, what do you suggest is the best deal for the money : the tl type s, the A4, or the S4. ALL ADVICE APPRECIATED!