To buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 11:04 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To buy or not to buy

Hey y’all, If you’ve read this on another board, accept my apologies in advance, but I respect all of your opinions and advice on this matter.

What I’m thinking about buying: 2002 TL Type S w/ 18k miles, no nav, white on black, certified from an Acura dealer for $21,900. The car is stickered at $23,900 and my price includes TT&L and trade in for my 93 Accord Ex hoopty. So, $22k is walk-out, all-is-said-and-done price.

I’m all on this car, but I’ve read where some of you would have some concerns regarding a purchase like this because of the 04's coming out. Honestly, I can’t afford to go any higher in payments (thank you very much, Mr. Student Loan Officer) and those supposed tranny probs don’t worry me.

Basically, I just want reassurance from all that this is a good and safe purchase to make, but I certainly welcome all of your comments and warnings. A reply can be as simple as “Yes!”, but if you say no, please give me the reason.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU IN ADVANCE FOR HELPING THIS FIRST TIME BUYER!!!
Old 06-23-2003, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I'd say go for it. That's a killer price.. and the only thing that is probably worrying you is the tranny. Well, don't be worried about it. The failure rate is around 3% out of millions of cars sold. While I agree that 3% is 3% too high... it's not bad. I know 7 people with TLs.. and not one has had any problems. Plus, if you're buying a 2002 you'll get the 100k mile powertrain warranty... so you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

You're getting an awesome car for a great price... so go for it and enjoy!!
Old 06-23-2003, 12:55 PM
Intermediate

I would say go for it. However, for a cheaper payment, you can lease a 2003 Tl-s for 300 a month with 4g's down. Or 389 with nothing out of pocket. Not a bad deal. The interest rate comes out 3 points lower than if you buy it. I just graduated and I pay 300 and month with 18k miles for 2003 TL-S.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:17 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks to both of y'all for your responses.

Now, you're making me think about a lease!!! Honestly, it's not something I'd ever considered before, so I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense. What are the parameters of the deal? Are there a lot of hidden factors to consider? I really know v e r y little about leasing (obviously ).

Basically, would you lease a new one or purchase the one I'm looking at?
Old 06-24-2003, 01:35 PM
Burning Brakes

iF YOUR LOOKING AT PAYMENTS HERE THAN HAVE THE DEALER SEE IF YOU QUALIFY FOR THE 2.9% ON THE NEW ONES.THE COMBO OF 2.9 AND A GOOD DISCOUNTED PRICE ON A NEW ONE MIGHT GET YOU TO THE SAME MONTHLY PAYMENT. THE SAME CAR NEW SHOULD RUN YOU 28K.BUT IF NOT YOUR DEAL SOUNDS GREAT AND ITS A REALLY HARD COLOR COMBO TO FIND SO DONT LET IT GO. BTW, I CAME FROM A 93 ACCORD ALSO.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:33 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by yield2S
iF YOUR LOOKING AT PAYMENTS HERE THAN HAVE THE DEALER SEE IF YOU QUALIFY FOR THE 2.9% ON THE NEW ONES.THE COMBO OF 2.9 AND A GOOD DISCOUNTED PRICE ON A NEW ONE MIGHT GET YOU TO THE SAME MONTHLY PAYMENT. THE SAME CAR NEW SHOULD RUN YOU 28K.BUT IF NOT YOUR DEAL SOUNDS GREAT AND ITS A REALLY HARD COLOR COMBO TO FIND SO DONT LET IT GO. BTW, I CAME FROM A 93 ACCORD ALSO.

Ya he is correct..

Buying a new car is only like 6-8k more because they are selling cheap now because of the new model coming out.. And this way you can pick the color and accessories.

I Agree you would be paying more money But you will make up for some of it, with a LOWER Interest rate..

And you will get a brand new car, and specially its newer and the new ones are less known for the tranny probs..

If I were you I would consider a new one
Old 06-24-2003, 11:14 PM
Advanced

Now, you're making me think about a lease!!!

You need to figure out if you can afford a new one, but I would think about something before you leased one...

Do you really want to modify a leased vehicle?
Are you even allowed to? (springs, exhaust, tint, etc)
If you are planning on modding it, then you have to think if you want to dump $$$ into something that you have no way of recovering. It is like paying for a new kitchen in an apartment that you are renting...
If you OWN it, you can go crazy, if you lease/rent it... It's just a black hole in your driveway that you keep pouring money into.

Either way, the 2002 sounds like a pretty good deal, but see what kind of deal you can get on a new one. You may be surprised.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:36 AM
Race Director

I dont know..

Can I throw in some suggestions..

New 2003 Honda Accord Coupe V6 or Sedan..

I dont know I personally Dont like buying used cars and if you are spending 22k think about a new one..

I dont know if u want a sedan or coupe, but a V6 Coupe is another alternative, Maybe even with 6 Speed
Old 06-25-2003, 08:06 AM
Intermediate

I walked into the Acura office with intentions of purchasing my car. However with the Lease it would still come out cheaper to lease for 39 mos, and then buy the car at the end if I so choose. If you use comptech equip then you can mod you head off to this car. headers/intake/springs/exhaust I was told as long as it is comptech then it won't void the warranty. My acura dealership sells and installs it all. I knew nothing about leasing either, but in this case it just made more sense. My father who went with me also recommended leasing b/c of the great deal. Another perk is that at the end of the lease I can buy and would come out slightly cheaper than if I had bought the car at the beg, or if I have had a lot of problems(or wrecked to destroy value) then I simply leave the car with them and don't have to worry about selling a problematic car. This is the best lease deal out there right now.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:10 PM
Advanced

come out cheaper to lease for 39 mos, and then buy the car at the end

It may be cheaper if you pay CASH at the end. But becareful, unless you plan on having the FULL BUYOUT amount in cash. Otherwise, you will have to REFINANCE that $$$. Who knows what the intrest rates will be in 39 months. It could be like 8 percent!
Old 06-25-2003, 09:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Get your hands on an '03 SE Maxima .. brand new w/ tons of toys .. they're going for peanuts these days ...

if it must be an acura, try to get a new one ..

if it MUST be THIS CAR.. ask the saleman point blank if the transmission has been replace -- run a carfax, and ask to see all the service records in the 'puter.