bumper cover options

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
bumper cover options

Well my buddies showed me how much they know about repairing cars yesterday. They changed the front pads on one of their cars, a 2004 Bonneville XGP, one has done brakes before the owner of the car hasn't. He has this attitude like he knows it all and why are you asking me questions like I don't know what i'm doing type of attitude (dumb ass syndrum I call it). So they finish installing the pads and lower the jack. The owner makes the comment that the tire looks low and gets the air hose out and air chuck to set the pressure. Well the so called 25 foot coil type air hose only reaches about 10 feet, so instead of using the longer rolled up hose they have been using all along, he decides to pull the car closer to the compressor.

Dumb ass gets in starts the car and puts it in gear, I'm standing there watch him creep forward at idle speed, and he doesn't stop, at frist I just thought he was jacking with me, so I step back, step back again and step back one more time after which the work bench's tool box and the open back door to the garage stops the car, mind you the door is now outside and hanging by one screw on the top hinge. So since it didn't stop in forward it'll stop in reverse right? Wrong, Dumb ass puts it in reverse and it starts backing up at idle speed, I'm stunded and in disbelieve he hasn't turn off the car or put it in neutral or something, So I watch him keep getting closer and closer and closer then all of the sudden he turns the wheel and decides his car will look real good with silver paint all down the drivers side of his car, circles around in the front yard for a moment and then gets it stopped finally. Rule number one in brake replacement pump the pedal and push out the hydralic pistons and have a brake pedal that works and doesn't go to the floor before you move the car.

Well my front bumper cover is trashed now and the head light is all scratched up so his insurance company is going to buy me a new one and fix my car. My question is what would be the best cover to get, a TL-S version, aftermarket or direct OEM replacement like whats currently on it?
Old 05-06-2010, 12:56 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
there is no such thing as a TL-S style bumper... the 02-03 Type S had the same bumpers as the 02-03 base models.
if your TL is a 2000 there is only one style of Factory/OEM bumper cover for it.

aftermarket? you mean Body kit?

get an OEM replacement bumper..
Old 05-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
If you're referring to an 02/03 front bumper, you're going to need a whole lot more stuff than just a bumper....both front quarter panels, headlights, hood......

So as mentioned, get an OEM Acura (Honda) front bumper for a 99-01 TL.

Last edited by NSXNEXT; 05-10-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:05 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
however you go, get an OEM honda/acura part, they fit the best, and are the most durable when you happen to hit crap laying in the road such a bloated road kill or tire scrapes from other vehicles (even if the insurance insists, i much rather get a used OEM part, then a aftermarket new part)

and the headlight, only one way to go is stanley, which is honda btw, (and all stock OEM ones will say "stanley" in the inside lower courner near the grill, kinda have to be closer to see it, but it will be there though

and if they try to put on depo brand headlights, they are garbage, they have hotspots in the light pattern