Brembo blank rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 03:29 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brembo blank rotors

Im getting rid of my warped KVR X-Drilled rotors (which were a total waste of money)...

im interested in the brembo blank rotors tirerack sell for 50$ea.

are they good? better than stock? plated (no rust) ?

any help would be appreciated

@cUr@-TL

btw, dont tell me to make a search, i did but did not find
Old 01-21-2003, 09:15 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

cmon' guys! no replies ?! :p

@cUr@-TL
Old 01-22-2003, 12:59 PM
Bada Bing

Personally i don't like KVR...my brother bought a set for his 98 CL and the people at KVR said that the 97 rotors would fit...now anyone who knows the CL knows that the rotors btw 97 & 98 are TOTALLY different. The 97 rotors don't have a center hub whereas the 98 rotor does. Anyway, they swore by it and of course he had to send them back.
The Brembo blanks I would believe to be better based on their reputation. Are you keeping them as blanks or are you having the drilled/slotted?
Old 01-22-2003, 08:31 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally posted by SlyTLS
Are you keeping them as blanks or are you having the drilled/slotted?
I am keeping them blank because my car is a daily driver and x-drilled are more expensive and they warp faster and during winter they suck cuz u brake, they get warm, but then snow gets on them and they warp.. so if, one day, i mod my TL a lot and keep it as a show car then i could get slotted/x-drilled but not for now.

so any other replies about the brembo blank rotors ?

oh btw dooes tirerack ship to CANADA ?

@cUr@-TL
Old 01-23-2003, 12:45 PM
Bada Bing

Originally posted by @cUr@-TL

I am keeping them blank because my car is a daily driver and x-drilled are more expensive and they warp faster and during winter they suck cuz u brake, they get warm, but then snow gets on them and they warp.. so if, one day, i mod my TL a lot and keep it as a show car then i could get slotted/x-drilled but not for now.

so any other replies about the brembo blank rotors ?

oh btw dooes tirerack ship to CANADA ?

@cUr@-TL
@cur@-TL: That is a misconception. X-drilling doesn't cause a rotor to warp. They do cost more I will give you that. I've had my x-drilled rotors on the car since last Feb. and haven't had a single issue with them. In fact they are better to have if the rotor gets wet b/c the water escapes through the holes rather than sitting btw the pad and the rotor. You can do what you like I just wanted to clarify the misconception.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think the biggest misconception is people thinking they need x-drilled/slotted rotors for daily driving. unless you're taking your car to the track - and i'm talking autocross, not 1/4 mile track - you don't need x-drilled/slotted rotors. and seriously, how many of you actually take your car to the track? you can't possibly hit the brakes frequently/hard enough during daily driving to reap the benefits of the added ventilation. if you want good braking, the best steps would be to get better pads, steel brake lines and better brake fluid. if you want to look cool (to each his/her own), then get the x-drilled/slotted rotors.
btw, the idea that water "escapes" through the cross drilled holes is bogus. if you have pads on both sides of the disc, how does water "escape"? the centripital force of the spinning rotor would get most of the water off.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:57 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

SlyTLS: yeah you may be right, maybe im wrong, but there's one thing i know. they lasted like half the time my first set of stock rotors lasted.... :o

Posted by jomama

i think the biggest misconception is people thinking they need x-drilled/slotted rotors for daily driving.

You could be very surprised... Sometimes my rotors get so hot it's almost like i dont have n e brakes at all...
but i guess ill have to live with that...

@cUr@-TL
Old 01-24-2003, 10:34 AM
Bada Bing

jomama: Let me start by making this clear...this is not a flame nor is it an invite to an arguement, I am merely clarifying something I said that may or may not have been misunderstood.

I never said it was mandatory nor did I say it's needed...what I said is it's a good idea. I can guarentee that I have braked just as hard as anyone out there that has warped their rotors before and I have yet to warp one. I guarentee it b/c being from the NY/NJ area you know how many mornons are on the road jamming their brakes for absolutely no reason and how many morons cut you off at the very last minute as you're pulling up on them doing 80mph.
As for the water "escaping" the rotors, the rotors are open in the center so the brake pads are actually not touching the opposite sides of the same disc surface. The stock rotors are ventilated therefore the water that does escape through the cross drill holes can then be sent out of the ventilation groove btw the disc ends. You can kind of see the 2nd lip of the rotor in this picture. That's the inner rotor surface on the other side of the ventilation groove. Keep in mind these are stock rotors cross drilled and slotted.

Old 01-31-2003, 02:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by jomama
i think the biggest misconception is people thinking they need x-drilled/slotted rotors for daily driving. unless you're taking your car to the track - and i'm talking autocross, not 1/4 mile track - you don't need x-drilled/slotted rotors. and seriously, how many of you actually take your car to the track? you can't possibly hit the brakes frequently/hard enough during daily driving to reap the benefits of the added ventilation. if you want good braking, the best steps would be to get better pads, steel brake lines and better brake fluid. if you want to look cool (to each his/her own), then get the x-drilled/slotted rotors.
btw, the idea that water "escapes" through the cross drilled holes is bogus. if you have pads on both sides of the disc, how does water "escape"? the centripital force of the spinning rotor would get most of the water off.
now if its slotted, like my powerslot rotors that i had on my 97 cl, w/the slot going to the end of the rotor, then ya have a channel where water can escape