break-in questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 02:45 AM

Question break-in questions

Just got a new 02 tls last week. Two questions:

1) I got the car with 200 miles on it, which is solely introduced by test drivings. I am a littlw worried that if that will cost any problems, since I am not sure if people test drive it properly and follow the break-in rules(I doubt it).

2) Every time when I back off my lovely new car and shift to D5 and go forward, within 2 seconds, I hear a short low frequency hum sound with very slight vibration. Have you guys had the same experience?

Thank you in advance!
Old 03-29-2001, 10:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Where specifically do you hear the hum originating from?

Unfortunately, since your car was a test-drive vehicle, all I can say is make sure you take the car in for EVERY little problem that may crop up in the next few hundred miles. Many of the test-drive posts on this forum, as well as my OWN experience, can testify to the fact that both the dealer and the test-driver show little concern for the mechanical longevity of the test-drive vehicle. The purpose of this vehicle is to sell the car to the customer, proving to him/her everything it is capable of (including hard accelerations/cornering). I'm sure your car is fine, but I checked my car -- no hum after shifting to D5 from a slow reverse.

Lemme know what happens!

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment
Old 03-29-2001, 02:50 PM

Hi PeterUbers,

Thanks for the response. I think the hum comes from the front under the hood. I just tried again - No need to backoff the car, just re-insert the key, start the engineer, put on D5, and step on the gas a little bit to move forward(Like you normally do). The hum is short, lasts about half to one second, I suspect the it's the vsa/abs activation kind of thing. Let me know if you or anyone else has this thing.

p.s. Yes, the muffler is not even in the back.
Old 03-29-2001, 03:18 PM

I just called Acura service manager, he is very knowledgeable. He told me that the sound is the ABS system start, happens every time you restart your car. He said every tls should have that(I didn't ask about tl, but if it's for ABS, then TL too, I suppose). Do you/you guys mind to verify this? Note that the noise is very low and the hum is subtle.
Old 03-29-2001, 11:04 PM
Safety Car

Casual,

Yeahp -- I'm not hearing a hum or anything when I put it in D5. I'll try tomorrow and this time, I'll leave the radio off! I'll definitely get back to you on this one. PS, take the car back to the dealer and get your muffler's aligned -- the guy did mine today and it looks good now!

Pete

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment
Old 03-29-2001, 11:51 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YES! I'm not going insane over this noise! I hear it every morning when I don't have the radio on and am backing out of the garage. I guess this is normal? A little hum, I think I usually hear it 2 times. Then, never again. Only when I start the car fresh.

I hope the dealer is right!
Old 03-30-2001, 02:23 AM

Guys, I went down to the dealership this afternoon and let their service manager tested it. He firmly said that it's the ABS activation,which comes from the right front side. And Peter, I told him the uneven muffler thing, he was surprised and agreed on the fact which you pointed out. He will try to find out the reason and get back to me on that.

Afterwards, I tried two new cars, one 2002 TLS and one 2001TL. Both, both, have the same hum sound. 2001 TL's sound is a little lighter. According to another sales manager, if you don't hear anything, it means your ABS doesn't work Honestly, I feel a little better now - I don't mind the sound but was worried that it might indicate some potential problem.

Make sure you hear the sound too, so we can get even

Old 03-30-2001, 10:54 AM
Safety Car

Casual --

I'm glad you're feeling better about your car. Trust me, I know the feeling of bringing that brand new car home and wondering if you made the right decision. I am sure <knock on wood> that your car is solid. I wish you many many great, trouble-free miles with it! I hope they fix that muffler alignment too, they fixed mine very well. Also, be sure and bug those dealers to death each and every time you discover a flaw .. that's what i plan on doing, and if Acura wants to live up to their reputation as a luxury auto, they'll be answering to me.

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment
Old 03-30-2001, 02:25 PM
Safety Car

Casual --

I was just out driving -- it DOES do the hum, and it sounds mechanically sound too, so I definitely agree with your dealer about it being the ABS perhaps.

It does it once when in reverse, and then once or twice when driving. Sounds like something is activating.

Thanks for the heads up!

Pete

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment
Old 04-02-2001, 10:14 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe this deserves a new thread but I'll voice my concern here anyway.

My TLS's transmission makes a distinct noise when I shift from D to N to R. My recently traded in Anthracite made the same clunking noise, not too loud but audible nevertheless. The Acura service manager says this is normal and nothing to be concerned about. Just to be sure I tried shifting from D to R in 3 other 02's in the shop .... and they "clunked" as well.

Is this a problem or am I just overeacting here?

Old 04-02-2001, 10:42 PM
Safety Car

Mine does the same thing -- as did the test-drive vehicle and the CL Type S I drove -- no big deal -- totally normal!
Old 04-03-2001, 01:31 PM

Pete, When you fix your muffler, did your dealer tell you why so many cars are like this? I guess there must be a reason, and asked my dealer to find out, they said Acura hasn't got to them yet.

I need to check the transmission sound, haven't paid attention to you.

BTW, have you guys noticed the green light in the CD box keeps on even after you close the lid? I guess it's designed to shed some light for the cup holder? Don't like it. Cheked a new RL and it has the same thing.
Old 04-03-2001, 02:19 PM
Safety Car

Casual --

The dealer didn't really mention anything-- I had probably discovered this issue before anyone else on this board, so I didn't think to push a further inquiry. At any rate, I'm sure there is some logical reason for it if MOST of the cars are coming outta the factory w/ lower right-hanging mufflers. who knows.

Bout the light -- yup, i noticed that, but it isn't too bad that I'm gunna put up a big-woop about it. I realized one day long ago, in life, if you keep starin' at the details and specifics, you'll drown out the bigger, beautiful picture.

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment
Old 04-03-2001, 02:25 PM
The "old" guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by casualwalk:
I just called Acura service manager, he is very knowledgeable. He told me that the sound is the ABS system start, happens every time you restart your car. He said every tls should have that(I didn't ask about tl, but if it's for ABS, then TL too, I suppose). Do you/you guys mind to verify this? Note that the noise is very low and the hum is subtle.
.....mine doesnt have it....