Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 12:39 AM
trill recognize trill

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brakes

I want to get new brakes for my acura tl 01. What do you think is a good choice to go with for a fast 16 yr old. I need sum competition shit thats gonna stop wen i want it too andn ot wear it down too much. And can someone explain wut this big brake system thing is.. thnx
Old 11-20-2004, 01:46 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a feeling there is going to be some flaming going on, but here's a useful response for once:

I like Hawk HPS pads, but they eat rotors like nothing else. Even my aftermarket rotors only lasted ~40,000 miles with these pads. Most people on here like the EBC Greenstuff pads, they're supposed to have a lot less dust than the hawks (which make a lot of brake dust).

The big brake system just gives you more stopping power - go feel the brakes of a high end lexus or a nice german car, and you'll see how much of a difference it makes.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vipvop
I have a feeling there is going to be some flaming going on, but here's a useful response for once:

I like Hawk HPS pads, but they eat rotors like nothing else. Even my aftermarket rotors only lasted ~40,000 miles with these pads. Most people on here like the EBC Greenstuff pads, they're supposed to have a lot less dust than the hawks (which make a lot of brake dust).

The big brake system just gives you more stopping power - go feel the brakes of a high end lexus or a nice german car, and you'll see how much of a difference it makes.
Actually that's incorrect. If you go try the brakes on a GS300 you'll notice how "spongy" the pedal feels. I put on SS lines on my TL, and I have the irotors/EBC combo for pads and rotors, and I have never seen a car come to a stop so quickly. The SS lines really improve the brake feel, and firm up the pedal incredibly well. I wouldn't bother dumping money into a Big brake kit. Better off doing what I did, but instead of irotors (which are absolute garbage), I would go for the Rotora's. They are much higher in quality, and you will have less chance of warping. My irotors with 20 000 km are totally warped. Shaking in the wheel constantly from 60-70 MPH.

IMO go for the rotora/ebc and SS lines. You won't be sorry, trust me!!!
Old 11-20-2004, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
stainless brake lines, rotora rotors and hands down EBC GREEN STUFF
Old 11-20-2004, 12:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Get a big brake kit and SS brake lines. And just so you know, you don't have to be 16 to be fast. I'm on a slow, but constant quest for more speed.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Get a big brake kit and SS brake lines. And just so you know, you don't have to be 16 to be fast. I'm on a slow, but constant quest for more speed.
unless you have alot of cash to burn, you can get away with slotted rotors and good pads
Old 11-20-2004, 01:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sc354
Actually that's incorrect. If you go try the brakes on a GS300 you'll notice how "spongy" the pedal feels.
I said high end lexus! J/k, but I was thinking of the GS 430 - I'm pretty sure the brakes are upgraded on that (compared to the 300). All I know is the brakes are amazing, to the point of where you first drive the car you feel like a retard since you start to press on the brake pedal with normal pressure and the car screeches to a halt.

I never understood why someone would pay thousands for a big brake upgrade until I drove a car that didn't need one, it really is night and day (not just like getting new pads and rotors).
Old 11-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Banned

Switching to another topic, I just bought the comptech supercharger brand new and I need to get rid of it. a friend of mine told me he could fabricate me a custom exhaust for a turbo. anyways I'm tryin to sell it for $3800 whoever buys it would have to pay for the shipping. email me if you're interested: Pimping_Rides@Hotmail.com
Old 11-20-2004, 04:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vipvop
I said high end lexus! J/k, but I was thinking of the GS 430 - I'm pretty sure the brakes are upgraded on that (compared to the 300). All I know is the brakes are amazing, to the point of where you first drive the car you feel like a retard since you start to press on the brake pedal with normal pressure and the car screeches to a halt.

I never understood why someone would pay thousands for a big brake upgrade until I drove a car that didn't need one, it really is night and day (not just like getting new pads and rotors).
Trust me, a lot of it has to do with the pads/rotors. Besides the extra force from the pistons that grab, getting a good vented rotor (rotora, stoptech) and a good ceramic based pad will improve your braking substantially.

The key to having a really good brake feel/pedal is driving the brakes for the first 500 miles or so, gently, and then performing either 1 or 2 (if you want to drive the car harder) bed in procedures. I did this on our other car, where we have the rotora and EBC pads, and the combo is marvelous. Driving the car with new pads and rotors first will make your rotor more durable, and it also stiffens the metal. This will often prevent warping from occuring. Once you have heat cycled the rotor (after 500 miles of driving), the rotor is then ready to be bedded in. Once bedded in, you should see a huge difference in the braking capability, and brake feel.

If you want to spend the extra $100 or so, you can put SS lines, which I said before will help a lot with pedal feel.

This kind of brake setup will improve your brakes substantially, and for the average driver, or even those that go to the track often (Kris), it will be more than enough braking.

Help me out on this one kris!!! I know you agree with me somewhat
Old 11-20-2004, 05:42 PM
Who Dis Is?

Rotora I've got Axis Ultimas which produce an incredible amount of dust, but treat your rotor very delicately and have great stopping power. Go with EBC though, from what I hear they're the shit.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator

a big difference in the brakes on the lexus GS and the tl are the 4 piston brembo like calipers. brake feel will be different between every car due to mass, different master cylinder size, pad compound, brake bias set up, and the list goes on. better pads will GREATLY improve the brake pedal and feel on the tl. SS lines will also contribute alot to the feel. proper break in of the rotors is critical. normal driving till 500 miles or so then bed in the pads. not before. you need to heatcycle the rotors first. Jeff has been correct with his posts above.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Tunaboy
Rotora I've got Axis Ultimas which produce an incredible amount of dust, but treat your rotor very delicately and have great stopping power. Go with EBC though, from what I hear they're the shit.
the ultimates arent that easy on the rotor, they have worn mine considerbly in the last 40k the ebc never did that and provided better braking
Old 11-20-2004, 06:59 PM
trill recognize trill

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
stainless brake lines, rotora rotors and hands down EBC GREEN STUFF
Im thinkin about doin just that
Old 11-20-2004, 07:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by yunginTL
Im thinkin about doin just that
i would. many have had great luck with rotora. the green stuff are the best pad and SS lines will give you great pedal feel. at teh same time as teh lines you may want to get some motul 600 brake fluid and rebleed the system with that.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:45 PM
7th Gear

brake bleed

I just replaced my front brakes - with oem crap because I don't care - and I would like to bleed the system. Is there a power bleeder that fits our Acura's? I have a motive bleeder for my other car (german) which works great, but the coupler is significantly different. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:49 PM
trill recognize trill

i would. many have had great luck with rotora. the green stuff are the best pad and SS lines will give you great pedal feel. at teh same time as teh lines you may want to get some motul 600 brake fluid and rebleed the system with that.
wut u mean rebleed and where can u get motul 600 brake fluid
Old 11-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Racer

a big difference in the brakes on the lexus GS and the tl are the 4 piston brembo like calipers. brake feel will be different between every car due to mass, different master cylinder size, pad compound, brake bias set up, and the list goes on.
Exactly, that's why I'm saying while new pads and rotors help, they're not even remotely close to the feel of a big brake kit - the difference is incredible. For $2000 though, it better be.
Old 11-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator

wut u mean rebleed and where can u get motul 600 brake fluid
drain all the old fluid out, add the new and bleed the air out of the lines. this is something i wouldnt recomed to most people. if done wong it can be very dangerous(as in you wont have brakes)
Old 04-24-2005, 12:37 PM
trill recognize trill

back from the dead but yea...now i really do need brakes because there is basically no pad left...

anywhere to get the EBC greenstuff ANYWHERE??

and how much should lines, rotora rotors and ebc run for the whole car?
Old 04-24-2005, 01:08 PM
Racer

yo

back from the dead but yea...now i really do need brakes because there is basically no pad left...

anywhere to get the EBC greenstuff ANYWHERE??

and how much should lines, rotora rotors and ebc run for the whole car?
I jsut got my EBC greenstuff from ajusa.com FREE SHIPPING. I havent put them on yet b/c I dont have my car but I got them for $62 with some change not to b bad for brake pads that brakes well with the least dust . Hope that helps a little. And Damn kid slow down. We were all once 16 and all drive a little crazy at times but becareful kid.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:26 PM
trill recognize trill

Originally Posted by SLAMMED_WDP_TLS
I jsut got my EBC greenstuff from ajusa.com FREE SHIPPING. I havent put them on yet b/c I dont have my car but I got them for $62 with some change not to b bad for brake pads that brakes well with the least dust . Hope that helps a little. And Damn kid slow down. We were all once 16 and all drive a little crazy at times but becareful kid.

don't mind the first post...hahahaha that was two weeks after i got the car. I was thinking to myself, damn this bitch is fast as helll. Coming from wanting a deville to gettin a TL is a big assss move and a whole new learning experience.

I'm not the fast ass driver, i was when i got the car, main reason cuz i dread filling up a tank so soon because all i did was hit vtec every time.

But on topic: thanks for the link good price i say