BONUS= new mod to choose from, HMMM???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 09:45 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
BONUS= new mod to choose from, HMMM???

Well I am getting a 1000.00 bonus this week and a very nice raise soon. 1000.00 was completely unexpected so it's like a very x-mas present on top of the iPod I got on Friday. I want to spend 300-350 aside from pulley install. I had to delay my pulley install until the 30th(wife spent way too much on x-mas presents, damn women) and I figure while I have that installed I would get a custom catback. Thta got me thinking, I have a stock intake w/K&N filter and both resonators removed so what about a new CAI, but I wasn't sure if that would give me much more power(that I would notice). Catback may give me a few ponies but the sound and look is what makes that more pleasing. So I figured either custom catback or new CAI(probably regular AEM) and then have them remove bigass exhaust resonator and put on some nice tips. If I go CAI, I will probably just DYI becuase it is so easy, but exhaust I am not doing myself in my icey-ass cold Maine driveway or cold-ass unheated garage. What do you guys think? sorry for the rambling.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:58 PM
I need 2 more gears

abridged:
1. have them remove exhaust resonantor and put on new tips and buy CAI(install myself)
or
2. get a custom catback?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Wallace, LA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, first, let me say you know more about cars than I do, but I have a CT Icebox and I def. felt the gains. I know you have your resonators revmoved, and I'm assuming you have a high flow filter. Thus, reducing the obstuction of air flow but you are left without the actual "intake" part of a CAI. What needs to be determined is how much of the 7-10whp gained by a CAI is due to the resonator(obstruction) being removed, and how much of the gains are because of the "intake" being in place. Rather, is the main reason we gain power from a CAI because of the lack of the obstruction of air flow(no resonator) or because of the air scoop being there to "funnel" air to the engine. I would venture to say the 10 or so whp can be attributed evenly to both attributes....but I'm not sure.

Ethier way, I would go exhaust, assuming half the power of the CAI and all the sound from one come from the removal of the resonator and the addition of a high flow filter(which you have). Exhaust will provide HP (about as much as the other half of the CAI puzzle [the same amout the addition of the actual CAI would provide] ), aesthetic value, and sound. More 'bang' for the buck as they say.

Hopefully, that made sense.

Mark
Old 12-20-2005, 10:11 PM
I need 2 more gears

^^^^^I like your train of thought and it makes perfect sense and actually puts things into perspective a little. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Wallace, LA

Old 12-20-2005, 11:05 PM
Instructor

my tl-s is pure stock so i dont know about labor. i dont wanna bust ya TLsu, but from what i hear, the tl's exhaust is already very free flow, so you would be only buying sound(1-2 hp gains most on the the tl-s)... And as for cai, depends if u want sound or not(CT Icebox or AEM, Ingen, ur own piece of pipe), but will def give u a butt dyno gain.

p.s. so the best way to go is to remove resonators, get some nice exhasut tips, and buy any cai u want. the setups may sound ricey, but it will give u the most gains for ur money.

much love, TLsu..
Old 12-20-2005, 11:23 PM
Wallace, LA

Thanks man, but ya gotta remember your TL-S has 2.25in piping...our TL- P's only got 2in. So yeah since old boy doesn't have a Type S, like you, exhaust gives him that much more HP gains. Since he has a TL-P more is to be gained with say 2.5 catback piping than from what would be gained from a TL-S exhaust set up. I didn't say/try to say that exhaust was a major HP bolt on, but on a TL-P it will do more for him. All I tried to articulate to sbuswell was that aftermarket catback piping on a TL-P may equal/be near the same amount of HP he would gain if he were to add a CAI and its cone filter on top of the fact he has previously removed his resonator and added a high flow filter. Sorry I can be so incoherent.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Instructor

oo my b, i oversaw his profilee.... ya dont know much about the TL-P
Old 12-21-2005, 01:12 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sbuswell
What do you guys think?

Lower your car. Then add sways.
Adding power mods will only be used RARELY...however suspension mods can be noticed 100% of the time...in the city, in the highway, going fast or slow...even when parked and standing still...even when you are NOT in the car. Lowered springs and sways is probably THE most BEST bang for the buck mods for the TL PERIOD. I have more mods than you, so this is comming from experience...so if I had to do it all over again, I'll get those 2 first...then headers...then rims/tires simply because replacing new tires is a waste of money...so I tend to wear the stocks out first.

But before I do ANY performance mods...tints & radar should always be first.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:30 AM
I pimp an Audi A4.

comptech icebox did wonders for my 99 TL-P.

you WILL feel the power gain. TRUST ME.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:10 AM
2Poor 2Furious

well since it is a decent chunk of change, get the kit. The rest of the stuff you can sort of buy one at a time, but the kit requires all the money up front so spend it all while you can.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:02 AM
I need 2 more gears

I leaning towards exhaust because I want the sound and my mufflers are ratty looking so might as well go for a full catback. I am gettin gpulleys installed at same time and figure later down the line I'll get a true CAI, but current intake setup seems to be prety good for me. Springs and sways are out right now as it would cost too much and I am not about to lower my car during our lovely New England winter.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Instructor

ya, about the new england thing, i live down in md and we get some snow too(i know not neary as much) but i was thinkin just to save and save and get that tein ss setup with the lil controller thing so u can have the best of both worlds, raise your car when it snows and lower in the summer; and then ull have the best shocks in town
Old 12-21-2005, 11:18 AM
Burning Brakes

With my bonus i bought a front lip for my ride.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:48 AM
I need 2 more gears

I am more into performance so wanted to have all the bolt-on's covered then go for suspension, wheels or a kit. Next after bolt-on's will be new shocks for sure.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by edgalang
Lower your car. Then add sways.
Adding power mods will only be used RARELY...however suspension mods can be noticed 100% of the time...in the city, in the highway, going fast or slow...even when parked and standing still...even when you are NOT in the car. Lowered springs and sways is probably THE most BEST bang for the buck mods for the TL PERIOD. I have more mods than you, so this is comming from experience...so if I had to do it all over again, I'll get those 2 first...then headers...then rims/tires simply because replacing new tires is a waste of money...so I tend to wear the stocks out first.

But before I do ANY performance mods...tints & radar should always be first.

You notice exhaust while driving, in the city, on the highway, going fast, going slow, even when parked and standing still...even when you are NOT in the car.

That cannot be said for a CAI
Old 12-21-2005, 02:48 PM
Pleasure Unit

Put the $1,000 into no load mutual funds......
Old 12-21-2005, 04:09 PM
Instructor

if u want the most bang for the buck.. go /w AEM or Injen intake.. the noise when vtec kicks in is absolutely amazing.. you will never get tired of the sound... plus it will give you a few hp, and the seat in the pants feel will be noticiable.. exhaust is not really worth it in my opinion and no it does not give any, maybe 1-2 hp...
Old 12-21-2005, 04:18 PM
I need 2 more gears

Yeah, good argument for intake, maybe I'll get intake and tips and have exhaust resonator removed.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:00 PM
I need 2 more gears

Well decided to just wait for a new mod. I did get some very nice chrome tips. They are 3 1/2" outlet, rolled tip, bolt-on, 8" long. They look very nice on the TL!! I did get my UR crank & alt. pulleys installed today and has 2x3quart tranny fluid drain and fill with honda z-1ATF and oil change mobil1 full syn and mobil1 filter. Car runs awesome!!!! Pulley install was flawless and I can already feel some more power, but as I have been told it takes a while for the ECU to catch up for me to realize the full gain I should get. I did just disconnect my battery for 40mins while putting tips on(I had to bend the stock tips and twist them off the bolts were done). I am going to take a few spirited runs in an attempt to get the full gain out of my new pulleys. I am so friggin' excited!
Old 12-23-2005, 04:58 PM
318whp/289wtq @ 6psi

...get exhaust, will have nice tone and looks nice .
Old 12-23-2005, 05:15 PM
I need 2 more gears

Well after disconnecting my batt. for 40mins and then reconnecting it and going for a ride it seems all the power from the pulleys is already here. Car pulls very very strong and smoother than ever!!!!!! The idle is a smooth as silk and to top it off tranny is shifting much better also. if i haven't reached the full gain point with these pulleys then I am gonna shit, but so far it is a very noticeable difference.