BMW 530i KILL!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 07:30 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"indiot" is that some racist term? Seems like a snigglet for an indian idiot?
Old 03-20-2003, 10:17 PM
Cruisin'

WARNING- HYPOCRITE IN OUR MIDST

Seems like the only idiot on this board is the one who keeps calling people names but can't even spell the insults correctly.

Anyways, since someone seems to like to belabor the racism subject, I actually found one of his own old posts and it seems we have a serious HYPOCRITE in our midst. Seems to me that the one who seeks to judge people for certain generalizations is the same person making those sweeping generalizations in the first place. See for yourself:

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showt...&threadid=27740

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by acuraguynj
I just saw again on MTV, "Living it up" by JARULE and I have realized this long ago, but have to state it again:

RAP VIDEOS will always contain the following formula:

1. Half Naked Hot Women shaking their booties
2. Incredibly Expensive Cars
3. Money / Cash
4. People acting tough all the time
5. Expensive Jewelry and clothing
6. Huge Mansion houses for the women to dance in

IT'S ALL EXCESS, EXCESS, EXCESS, EXCESS.

I have nothing against RAP, but is anyone else out there getting tired of this all? Is Rap on the way out? Will it be the downfall of us all? I hardly think it will be the downfall, but is there anything good coming out of Rap music now besides making you feel like you have to have more and more and want to kick someone's butt?

Maybe I am just getting too old for RAP Music these days.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-20-2003, 10:25 PM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
would you two please shut the hell up? PM eachother and swap BS. I dont give a god damn if either one of you are racist or not... and im sure 90% of the other people reading this thread dont care either...

MODS can we close this thread please?
Old 03-20-2003, 10:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Darkshear
would you two please shut the hell up? PM eachother and swap BS. I dont give a god damn if either one of you are racist or not... and im sure 90% of the other people reading this thread dont care either...

Please still keep this thread open, since it's always a great debate between Acura's and BMW.

I will keep quiet now to free up this thread. Riceburner you can search more threads on me (since I have been a long time member on here and posted over 800 times) and PM me to discuss this further if you want. I look forward to it.

Now back to BMWs and Acuras.......
Old 03-21-2003, 05:29 AM
Racer

I have nothing against RAP, but is anyone else out there getting tired of this all? Is Rap on the way out? Will it be the downfall of us all? I hardly think it will be the downfall, but is there anything good coming out of Rap music now besides making you feel like you have to have more and more and want to kick someone's butt?
I like some rap because it's funny or has a good beat, but I often disagree with the messages in the songs. I find the same attitude in rap music that I see in basketball these days, it's all about "me". There is always mention of "team" and family" but it's not so convincing by peoples' actions. The toughness of rappers is pretty funny too. I'll stop here though...don't want Ja Rule coming after me
Old 03-21-2003, 08:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally posted by Darkshear

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I already warned you guys, but I'll say it again.. if you want to keep this BS up, do it off of the board. Acuraguynj, you said you'd keep it off the board, and I appreciate that. Riceburner, same goes for you.. keep it off the board. If you want to start quoting links to threads that don't really relate to the current topic, PM him the link.

If your little spat gets brought up again the thread will be locked and there will be bans. Period. Get over it and move on. A clear misunderstanding on a play on words has turned into childish games and accusations of name calling.

Just let it go and play nice.... and don't make me turn this car around
Old 03-21-2003, 08:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Yo Ray: these last couple of posts were great. I agree with 1SICKLEX and SCWells72....

don't fall for it, man. They are comparing cars in different classes. maybe my TL dont got the old europe pedigree, at least it aint a yappin' *****.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Originally posted by stiletto
Yo Ray: these last couple of posts were great. I agree with 1SICKLEX and SCWells72....

don't fall for it, man. They are comparing cars in different classes. maybe my TL dont got the old europe pedigree, at least it aint a yappin' *****.
I should probably make a relevant post in here as well

I agree with who stiletto agrees with. Too many people on this board think that the TL is the ultimate and fastest machine out there. Don't get me wrong, I love my car and think it's great... but it's not the best thing on the road. Many of the BMW models are superior to our car. Many other manufacturers are superior as well. No doubt that for the money the TL-S is #1, but give me a 6-speed 540i or M3/M5 and the TL becomes the winter car
Old 03-21-2003, 09:30 AM
Cruisin'

Despite the previous comments, the TL-S is still for the money, the BEST $30,000 front wheel drive automatic transmission sedan out there and it can't be anything but a compliment to the TL-S to be compared to these other $40,000 plus cars with manual tranmissions and rear wheel drive.

On that note, give me an Audi RS6 anyday for winter or summer.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:04 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
You guys really have to admit, though...If you've modded your TL-S (i/h/e vafc, whatever--less the s/c) and you're sitting next to a 540i, the guy better know what the h=ll he is doing with a stick and pay close attention as the 1/4 may embarass him...Certainly on a extended run past that 1/4 mile the Bimmer is gonna eat that same modded TL-S as would an auto. Moreso at speed...Agree or no?
Beyond that, I still say every BMW I've ever seen looks like shi+ on the inside after three years into ownership. No Acura will ever do that!
So there...
Old 03-21-2003, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by r10apple
You guys really have to admit, though...If you've modded your TL-S (i/h/e vafc, whatever--less the s/c) and you're sitting next to a 540i, the guy better know what the h=ll he is doing with a stick and pay close attention as the 1/4 may embarass him...Certainly on a extended run past that 1/4 mile the Bimmer is gonna eat that same modded TL-S as would an auto. Moreso at speed...Agree or no?
I totally agree. And as I mentioned before, the TL-S/CL-S is the best bang for the buck, no questions asked.

The argument isn't really if the TL-S could beat a 540i in a 1/4 mile run.. it's when some people say the BMW isn't the ultimate driving machine. We can beat a decent number of cars in the 1/4 mile... but that's not driving. I know my ride home is 29 miles and encompasses curves, hills and a lot of lane changes . My TL-S with just I/E, springs and new rims/rubber handles 50x better then stock.... but probably only equivilent to a stock BMW sport tuned from the factory.

To simply say that you can't compare a TL to a BMW that cost $40k or more is a sell-out statment.... this whole topic started b/c of a race against a 530i. So if you're going to race and compare them that way, then you have to compare them across the board. People also race 540's... so if you're going to post on here you raced one... then you have to compare them as well.

The fact that they cost tens of thousands more and some people have beaten some in a short race doesn't mean that overall the BMW isn't an unbelievably balanced driving machine.
Old 03-21-2003, 10:34 AM
Racer

Beyond that, I still say every BMW I've ever seen looks like shi+ on the inside after three years into ownership. No Acura will ever do that!
No offense, but my 2000 TL looked like crap on the inside after only one year of ownership. The leather was of a very low quality, as was the plastic on the console. Both wore poorly over the year of ownership and I tried to baby the car since it was the nicest car I'd owned up to that point. The fake wood looked chintzy when I bought the car, but I was fine with it given everything else I was getting for the $$$. Over time it looked worse and worse to me, though.

My wife's 2000 Z3 is >3 years old and looks like it did the day we bought it. Of course, it also only has 11K miles on it after 3 years!
Old 03-21-2003, 10:52 AM
lover and fighter

...and kept the top up in the garage never seeing the sun--just kidding!

Good point, JB...With sways I'm sure of keeping up with a 540i in some twisties...
Personally, I find the M5 to be tied with the E55 as being the best car on earth...I love the M3, but would rather have an Audi over it any day...
Bang for the buck with mods, I'd say you can't touch our car but with the aftermarket stuff available now for the IS300 and soon to be the G35, won't be for long (and I'm talking less than $40k total with some mods).
The G35 may very well be my next car as well as the IS300 (wagon) or A4 unless Acura and the a/m family put some more oomph in our ride...I really want the s/c but am worried about Comptech's initial technology in conjunction with ongoing tranny issues...
I really want to spend no more than $45k in any concoction of new car price and a/m parts, keep an automatic (guys, I hate driving in traffic and want one hand free if I have something I need to occupy it with), be extremely reliable, and be very quick and handle very well--moreso than my ride now-noticably moreso...It's possible. I'm willing to sacrifice some room with the Lexus or Audi, and put up with the interior of the G35 (if they have a/m parts as stock it's not going to compete with mine now).

Choices choices...
For now, I'm most happy. I'm quicker than most, handles very well (even in twisties) and is pretty stealth outside of the wheels. My goal was to COMFORTABLY keep up with the local redneck, tire spinning sub '02 Mustangs and Camaros (which is surprisingly easy since they usually sit in a cloud of smoke and brake like mad before ANY curve), outrun the lawnmower i/h/e compacts, leave the $40k set in the dust and still impress my parents who have cars in the 6 figure stratosphere...I've achieved all of that but the Acura has made me want more--from it or elsewhere...

I think I just rambled off topic...I need a beer already...
Old 03-21-2003, 11:50 AM
Cruisin'

All I know is that the guys I work with who have these "ultimate rear wheel driving machines" had to garage them for half this winter with all the snow we've had while my front wheel drive TL-S made it in every day without resorting to the backup SUV!
Old 03-21-2003, 01:02 PM

On that note, give me an Audi RS6 anyday for winter or summer

I think some cars interiors age better than others but some people take no care of their interiors, thus a worn interior. I think the TL/TL-S did a heckuva job balancing speed and entry level luxury.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:52 PM
l33t

Originally posted by RiceBurner
All I know is that the guys I work with who have these "ultimate rear wheel driving machines" had to garage them for half this winter with all the snow we've had while my front wheel drive TL-S made it in every day without resorting to the backup SUV!
I just drove to Vegas in my bosses bimmer. Right through the tail end of the nasty New England snow storm ya'll just had. If it wernt for that car i would have been in the ditch. DSC took a kid who never drove in snow before, and had summer tires, and got me through that garbage safe!!

I love my TL, but next up is a 2000 or above (they fixed alot of BS in 2K) 540i with the Sport Package, ill put in the angel eyes myself, grey interior, not sure about color yet. Automatic, not stick. They truly are the Ultimate Driving Machine. You dont drive thoes cars, they drive you. Especially the M5, after how much i lit up its tires last night
Old 03-21-2003, 02:26 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
We have had BMW's (and still do) along with our '03 TL-S. There is no doubt about it, these cars have VERY different feels. It all depends on what you like. Our 7 series is huge, but its at *least* as much fun to drive as the TL and its faster too (we've tested this theory a few times). The V8 in that car sounds so nice....never "American" or intrusive. Gets good mileage for a 290 hp 4500 lb car too....about 26 on the hwy.

I think the only problem that I have with Honda is that their cars don't have that much personality. My dad isn't a car guy and he has always LOVED his BMW's as much as his boats (he's a boat freak). With the TL, he bought it, drove it once....and said "oh, its nice..." and thats probably the last time he'll say anything about it. As for me, I have an A4 and I'm obviously a big Euro fan. The TL is great car to me because:
1. Its a Honda, and hopefully it won't break
2. It makes nice power and gets great mileage
3. Fun to drive, nicely equipped, and the cheapest car we looked at.
4. All the ricers wanna race it

What I don't like:
1. The styling is nice, but doesn't evoke any emotion from me
2. Interior is fairly bland (yes, I know, I am comparing it to my Audi interior, but still)
3. Car doesn't have much personality...just goes about its business almost too quitely.

Either way, both cars have alot of incredible engineering that go into them. I consider BMW's some of the best cars in the world for their flexibility, great handling and prowess (stock), and nicely tuned motors (both power and aural presentation). I consider Honda one of the best cars in the world because they are priced fairly (while still highly engineered), bulletproof, and have interesting high revving powertrains.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:14 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
7 series with a 290 hp engine? What year is that?
Old 03-23-2003, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by SergeyM
7 series with a 290 hp engine? What year is that?
Excuse me, 282hp and 324 ft/lb of tq.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:00 PM
Advanced

I am not knocking or picking on the Bimmers, but the encounter that I had with a 540i was not good for the bimmer. I killed a 540 and dont get me wrong, I believe that the 540 is a better car but as far as performance with bimmers, you should be prepared to send big bucks for an M3 or M5 if you want performance like our Type S.... anything in between is worthless getting. After all its a rich man's car .....lol
Old 03-23-2003, 10:38 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by 2fasttls
you should be prepared to send big bucks for an M3 or M5 if you want performance like our Type S
Not to be nitpicky, but there is no way a TLS will have performance "like" a M3 or M5.

Please, please give credit where credit is due. A TLS is an awesome car, and in terms of acceleration it beats alot of BMW's and its way more affordable. But don't say that your TLS has the same type of performance as an M3 or M5. Ever.

neojin
Old 03-23-2003, 10:49 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
personally I think the M5 is the king of the sport sedan world...with the RS6 and E55 not far behind! I love the TLS but I would never compare it with an M3/5!
Old 03-24-2003, 06:39 AM
Racer

I killed a 540

sounds fishy to me. my speculation

rebadged 5.28
he wasn't racing
he had a sick car
he was letting you win so you would post nosense liek this

a TLS won't "kill" a 540
Old 03-24-2003, 10:58 AM
Advanced

LOL ..... TLS wont kill a 540 ..... I have been there and done that, and I am a big fan of BMW (330ci, M3 and M5) but I have seen 540's go down to the Type S and I have raced 1. Honestly I dont have respect for those 5 series unless they are the M5.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:47 AM
Racer

give me a 540 6 speed and I'll hand you your ass
Old 03-24-2003, 04:34 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Ray_Khan
give me a 540 6 speed and I'll hand you your ass
Couldn't have said it better myself

Edit: Wow, after being a registered A-TL member for almost 2 years, I finally hit my 100th post. hhahaha
Old 03-24-2003, 08:06 PM
Instructor

That is true. I had a hard time getting away from a 540 6 speed and I *trounce* my mom's TLS on the hwy.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:09 PM
Racer

you race your mom? on the highway? I'm going to assume your brother is driving her car.
Old 03-24-2003, 11:39 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I owned 2002 TL-S and traded it to a 540ia Sport. I always said that TL-S can run with 540 auto till about 80 mph. Then 540 will pull much strongly and after 100-110 mph TL-S will be embarrassed. TL-S just does not want to move in 4th. Because of the weak 4th gear almost any 6 cylinder can run with TL-S on the highway especially at higher speeds. The tranny will not shift to 3rd when you doing more than 80 mph thus creating a major problem. I could not beat SC300 accelerating from 80 mph to 110 mph. On the other hand in my 540 I just step on the gas and here I am doing 120 mph. I beat the same Sc300 without any problem. There is also no way that a nose-heavy front-wheel driver can outhandle a rear-wheel car. If you try to follow a BMW around a tight curve you'll end up killing yourself
Old 03-25-2003, 08:30 AM
Advanced

Overall our TL-s are faster than most of the bimmers, audi, and mercedes. So bring on your expensive car and get prepared to get whipped. Please exclude S4, M3, M5 and E55. Others will kiss Acura dirt.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:36 AM
Racer

I'll take the pepsi challenge with my A4 and we can have some fun runs....from a stop, from a roll...whatever you like, so long as we keep if reasonably safe. Since you are in NJ, we can meet up at the park ave meet this summer. I assume you will know a good place where we can play. Let me know what you think.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:40 AM
Pro

well, if you guys are going to jersey, sounds like you guys should go to englishtown or atco
Old 03-25-2003, 08:44 AM
Racer

god point...safest place to run is the track....but the track gives me an advantage because of launching wth AWD and a manual tranny...at least you would think so, you've never seen me launch :o

Would be fun to do some runs from a roll too.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:55 AM
still a Masshole

I've beat ray before so 2fasttls I think you can take him...ha-ha!
Old 03-25-2003, 08:57 AM
Racer

what can I say....it's all about the driver right?
Old 03-25-2003, 09:01 AM
l33t

Ok, once again just to reiterate, how does anyone figure that a 540 will lose to a TL-S? The 540 only weighs 200 lbs more, has 30 more HP and not to mention the 92 more torque... a TL-S will always lose to a 540. Even the automatic. It will keep up, but it will loose.

Problem is, 90% of people driving a 540 dont know what they have

As for the M5, coming from someone that puts 100+ miles on one a week, it really is the ultimate sports sedan. HOWEVER, in the few months that ive been driving one, you better get used to driving a car that is not comfort-friendly You feel every nitch in the road, every bump, every pebble. You have to, otherwise you cant call it the ultimate saloon car eehehehh.

But then again, ill still take a TL, my buddie has a $1,000 a month car payment, thats after a closing price of $60K and $10K down.... OUCH!!!! thats 3 times my morgage.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:07 AM
still a Masshole

I would want an M5 as my pimp car and the TLS as my daily commuter...that way I can smoke 85% of the cars on the road with my commuter and 99.9% of the cars when pimpin'!

2fasttls, how can you say that a G35 will smoke a TLS and then say a TLS will smoke a 540?
Old 03-25-2003, 09:10 AM
lover and fighter

I agree with almost all your points on a BMW, but a modded TL-S won't get killed by a 540i until after about 115 or 120...
I'd have to say my mods give me more benefit in second gear from 50 to a hair past 70 and in third from 80 to 115 or so, Moreso I think in third than in second. The car will flat hustle from 80 to 115 in no time...
I've posted before doing this with a Passat W8 for almost 50 miles back and forth and it simply was no match at all...You are right that the car hits a Gloria Steinem's glass ceiling at 120mph...

Not that I condone any of this...
Old 03-25-2003, 11:21 AM
still a Masshole

I don't even understand why cars go above 70mph....who drives that fast anyway??? :toothless

I agree with almost all your points on a BMW, but a modded TL-S won't get killed by a 540i until after about 115 or 120...
I'd have to say my mods give me more benefit in second gear from 50 to a hair past 70 and in third from 80 to 115 or so, Moreso I think in third than in second. The car will flat hustle from 80 to 115 in no time...
I've posted before doing this with a Passat W8 for almost 50 miles back and forth and it simply was no match at all...You are right that the car hits a Gloria Steinem's glass ceiling at 120mph...

Not that I condone any of this...
Old 03-25-2003, 11:24 AM
lover and fighter

ROFL...

ferizzo beat Ray_Khan in a driver's race to 69mph! Mad props to you!

Quick Reply: BMW 530i KILL!