BMW 330i with Sports Package it HOT!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2001, 08:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post BMW 330i with Sports Package it HOT!

Aside from the money issue, Aside from the more bang for your buck issue, Aside from the small interior space issue, the 330I is a such a hot car.

I love the new TL Type S, but the BMW 330i with Sports Package is a sweet car. Maybe it's the name, maybe it the atmosphere at the BMW dealership, but it just feels like a step up from Acura. Like an upgrade.

For those of you that want more room, the 530i with sports package is about $5K-$10K more than the 330i.

Maybe BMWs seem overpriced to most of us, but who cares! It's a BMW and whether we all want to admit it or not, it's the BMW name that is alluring.

I know if money were no object for any of us and priced the same as our TLs, we would mostly all be driving BMWs or some other high luxury brand other than Acura.

My 99TL looked like it was out of its league at the BMW dealership.
Old 04-28-2001, 08:35 PM
Advanced

Yeah, well the MacLaren F1 is far superior! Forget money! Whenever I race my 2.0L Accord in the Le Mans circuit I feel so ghetto! I need at least a Ferrari to maintain street cred.

</whine>
Old 04-28-2001, 08:46 PM

Originally posted by acuraguynj:
[I know if money were no object for any of us and priced the same as our TLs, we would mostly all be driving BMWs or some other high luxury brand other than Acura.

My 99TL looked like it was out of its league at the BMW dealership.
[/B]
I have to disagree with you on a couple of points. First of all, even if money was no object for me I still would have bought the Acura over the BMW because I just liked the car better. $30k + for a car isn't exactly chump change. Also, Acura's maintain a higher resale value over BMW - - they don't depreciate as much. Most people who drive BMW's don't own the car anyway, they lease them. They can't afford to buy the car straight up. BMW better than Acura..I don't think so.
Old 04-28-2001, 10:35 PM
Burning Brakes

If you're a driving enthusiast there's no match for a Bimmer - they really seem to be engineered and screwed together like no other. Go test drive a 330 or 530 and you'll see.

As far as total quality goes, though, you can't beat a Lexus. I just couldn't afford a GS430, so I got a TL. IMO, the TL compares more favorably to the GS than the ES

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 04-29-2001, 08:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Right now Acura falls in that middle space between the regular brands such as Honda & Toyota and the high end brands like Lexus & BMW. Infinity is in this same class as Acura, however with Infinity's new Q car, they have pulled ahead of Acura at this moment. Until Acura gets their act together and generates a new image for themselves, than we will still be known as a good car to get for the money. Which isn't bad, but isn't spectacular either. Mediocrity sucks at times.

I hear the newly designed RL maybe also be built in Ohio like our TLs to drive the price down too. I'm sure it will be a good value and look much better, but you do have to admit when the competition is still making their flagship cars in the Japan & Germany, which seems to be of a much higher quality and refinement.

My 99TL is of good quality too, but various small quality issues (that should have been fixed in the first place) really eat at you at times.
Old 04-29-2001, 09:00 AM
Instructor

I just put a down payment on a TL-S yesterday. The only contender out of all the cars I test drove was the 330. The 330 is definitely a solid car and more fun to drive (IMO) than the S, but you have to compare the whole package. Someone suggested to me that I use the $5K I saved to take a trip to Hawaii. Even with the price differential, the TL is loaded with a lot of extras I wouldn't have gotten with the BMW, JUST BECAUSE OF THE PRICE ISSUE. The BMW did offer an option which the TL didn't, however, which I would have opted for - the AWD.

Just my 2c worth.
Old 04-29-2001, 05:09 PM
Instructor

Talking

I got the TL-S over all other cars I drove due to this - I liked it the most! I drove a 330 for a couple days,since a car dealer buddy of mine let me try it. It is a nice car but in no way did it feel like it was built better than the ACURA. And I know for a fact that those cars have plenty of service related issues and their interior tends to fall apart. Other reasons - to small or me, not as fast, warranty, depriciation rate, plenty of reasons. In fact my wife and I wanted the C-class Benz before we started shopping but again that car was for one to small for me and also I would of had to spend 42,000 to get a car that is comperable to the TL-S. The ACURA TL-S is not "between" any automobile on the market in the 30 - 40 price range... in fact it is AHEAD of them!!! You still have way more power than the LEXUS and although nice cars the IS300 tosmall, the ES300 is LAME. The INFINITY's are nice although overpriced and hold no value, plus the ACURA looks better IMO.. the new Q is 50k.. I'll stick with my choice and keep "Hanz and Franz" out of one of my pockets(I have a Porshe, so they get plenty from it)..and I was told that ACURA is putting preasure on their Dealerships to get to "one price selling" and in addition, many ACURA dealerships are getting incentives from ACURA to give their showrooms major facelifts to enhance the "HIGH END LUXURY CAR FEEL"
Again, I know I made the best choice for me!
Abby
2002 TL-S SILVER/EBONY
1991 Accord 5SPD CP.
1985 PORSCHE 928S

------------------
RHINO928
Old 04-29-2001, 05:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey Rhino - how do you like your mid-80's 928? I almost got a 928S a while ago as a weekend car, but was worried that it would cost a fortune to keep running.

I've always wanted a white 928 S-4 with a stick shift, though, but those cost more.

------------------
'01 White Diamond Pearl 3.2TL
-Wing, tint, wood and Whistler
Old 04-29-2001, 06:55 PM
Instructor

The 928 is one of the greatest GT Cars ever made- Performance, comfort and a style that changed the GT class of cars... think of the Integra, old Supra - the 300ZX and even the body of the Camaro which I believe was introduced in 83 or 84..My '85 has heavy modifications and is Supercharged and makes 450HP at the rear wheels top speed is well over 180mph. You can find great bargains on 928's and you are correct that the 5-speeds are a little more. With that, 928's were really upgraded in '85 both engine and transmission.. so if you are looking for a car it is better to get an 85 or newer. If you ever would like more info on the 928 I can give you plenty of resources...it is an awesome car, my first ride in a 928 was in 1985 in Germany, we did speeds above 160mph like it was NOTHING!! The 928 LOVES to be driven FAST.. well I know this is an ACURA board so enough with the Porsche's
HAPPY MOTORING
Originally posted by Gomez:
Hey Rhino - how do you like your mid-80's 928? I almost got a 928S a while ago as a weekend car, but was worried that it would cost a fortune to keep running.

I've always wanted a white 928 S-4 with a stick shift, though, but those cost more.

------------------
RHINO928
Old 04-29-2001, 07:27 PM
Pro

Angry

If all you Bite My Wienie fans want a Bummer, go out and get one AND, get your own damn site! There is nothing to these cars but a name plate! Overpriced, way overrated and certainly no value for your money. The ultimate driving experience? Never was, never will be! Get over it!
Old 04-29-2001, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Ahh the love is strong for this topic. :-)
This topic is not meant to bad mouth the TL or TL Type S, it's just another of the many opinions on the BMW or other lines by TL owners in this PUBLIC FORUM.

I've said more than enough great things about the TL & TL Type S and enjoy my 99TL, however hell if we all said the same thing and agreed on everything, what fun would that be? They would be charging us a membership fee just to get in and say the same stuff. We are all entitled to our own opinions and that is what makes it interesting on here, all the different ones.

And can't a guy just dream about his next car upgrade, where am I going to go next up, the 2002 Acura RL? Until it changes, that is not even considered by most of us on here when you have all those others out there.

Old 04-30-2001, 05:11 PM
Drifting

Different opinions is good and so is comparison. The TLS comes up in the topic, which is good because this is TLS forum, not off-topic.
Old 05-01-2001, 02:28 PM

My neighbor got a black on black 330i with the sport package(I think) and he doesn't talk to me anymore. He just walks around with the phone on his ear making gestures at me to turn down my music.

That should tell you everything.
Old 05-01-2001, 05:12 PM
Pro

Oooh.. he has a 330, big flipping woop. Tell him to come to my neighborhood and think hes all that with a ****ing 330. LOL...

330's are nice for some people, but nothing to brag about UNLESS you're 15-25. Over that, big deal, just another ride. When i get out and get a job, i'm not exactly 'aiming' for a 330 if you konw what i mean. E class Benz, 5 Series Bemer, or keeping the TL and playing it low key, adding some mods every now and then.

Originally posted by Lawrence:
My neighbor got a black on black 330i with the sport package(I think) and he doesn't talk to me anymore. He just walks around with the phone on his ear making gestures at me to turn down my music.

------------------
'99 3.2 TL

Black/Black
Burlwood Shift Knob
Bodykit
Spoiler
Tint
Old 05-01-2001, 05:54 PM

I'm 22 and plan on getting the TL-S. I like the 330, but the TL-S is a great car and every bit as good, if not better (in all departments... especially looks.) But when price gets into the mix... the 330 gets left in the dust.
Old 05-02-2001, 01:57 AM
Intermediate

Cool

Unless you drive a Ferrari F-360 Modena or have a chauffeur for that Bently of yours....I AM NOT IMPRESSED.

BMW 330i IS the benchmark for sports sedans but with so many pretentious stereotypes leasing them in so Cal., they're ho-hum BORING! Majority of my subordinates drive the 3 series it's hilarious (stupid people will plunk down good money for "image").

Me, I'm value conscious (read cheap). I want to OWN a good reliable daily commuter (TL-S) and save my money for a REAL sports car...a F-360 or a McLaren F-1 would suffice.
Old 05-02-2001, 08:43 AM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Lawrence:

Lawrence, I disagree. I don't think it's fair to label BMW owner's as you did simply cuz your neighbor is an A$$. I own a 540i as well as the TL and I don't think my attitute changed towards people. And for everyone's info both the 330i and TL-S are very nice cars. Me, personally not a big fan of any 3 series but I still love my TL. As far as someone commenting on the TL-S beats it in every category, well just on price. The 330 will outperform the TLS in every aspect, and the 330Ci is certaintly a better looking car. And yes the 330i costs like 5K more.

Old 05-03-2001, 12:59 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm eager to see the new revamping of the TL Type S in 2003 or 2004 and see what Acura has in mind to compete against the competition and how they will respond to performance and luxury issues as well as all these informative posts on this website.

Several people on here keep saying to compare the TL to BMW 530i, which maybe the case, but the TL was built to take away market share from the BWM 3 Series, targeting those younger entry level luxury buyers. 5 Series just seems to be in a higher class than the TL and of course much more expensive.

The 330i loaded is simply a sweet car, aside from the price, aside from the snobs who supposedly drive them, someone on here put it perfectly, it's benchmark for this market and it is that good for a reason. Check it out at the BMW Dealership and you will understand. Draws you in.

Old 05-03-2001, 08:21 AM

One of the biggest reasons I didn't buy a BMW was BECAUSE of the dealership. The salesman was so arrogant that I would have bought a car from anyone BUT him.

I told him what I was looking at(Acura, Audi, Infinity, Lexus) and he just said something to the effect of; when I'm ready to step up to a real car, let him know... Imagine that.
Step UP to a BMW. I was speechless.

The guy was about 4'9" tall so it was funny to hear him talking about stepping up.

Anyway, they have way too much attitude and lack the ability to really connect with anyone other than a truly materialistic egomaniac.

Old 05-03-2001, 12:23 PM

Like someone said earlier, the BMW is a full 10K more than the TL-S, with similar options. And the BMW does not outdo the Acura in every performance category. It gets eaten if the BMW is an auto and they are even with the BMW stick.

Also, you think the BMW looks better than TL-S? Wow, if you like a civic with a bmw badge, then thats your choice. Way too small and they dont have any style. BMW has the same styling on all of their cars. I think the TLS looks better, no question. I think the BMW is a very nice car, but gimme a break and stop overrating the BMW just because a magazine says its great.