blow off valves on an auto?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2002, 09:13 PM
Peach Tea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question blow off valves on an auto?

Can you put a blow off valve on an automatic? They sound awesome and I want one. Do you have to have turbo for these to work? sorry for the stupid question:o
Old 05-19-2002, 09:18 PM
On the way!

Re: blow off valves on an auto?

Originally posted by badazzTL
Can you put a blow off valve on an automatic? They sound awesome and I want one. Do you have to have turbo for these to work? sorry for the stupid question:o

I thought blowoff valves were only on turbos (safety valve to not allow too much pressure).

Tranny has nothing to do with it.....
Old 05-19-2002, 09:48 PM
Instructor

they are for turbo cars only and yeild more performance on a stick shift car
Old 05-20-2002, 02:16 AM
Pro

Originally posted by BENZITO
How does a blow off valve yield more performance on a stick? Isn't the purpose of the BOV to prevent back pressure on the turbine?

Putting a BOV on a non turbo car is rice.

ok bye.
Old 05-20-2002, 02:43 AM
Cruisin'

I like to lurk around here, and I know I have no business(I just like the help with electrical stuff like your one touch windows thread) anyhow, I couldn't resist this one.

here's an N/A blow off valve.

http://www.takakaira.com/accessories...ightpager.html

just be prepared for your friends, family, and strangers to laugh at you.:p

A blow-off valve releases pressure to the air(outside world)between shifts and when acceleration is cut short. There is also a thing called a bypass valve which does the same trick as a BOV except instead of venting to the outside world it recirculates the air between the turbo and the air fuel monitor to help with the rich condition that happens when turbo pressure is shunted to the outside world(but you can tune around this). When the throttle plate is closed pressurized air back-tracks from the plate and heads toward the compressor wheel in the turbo. If the air were to impact the blades of the compressor (which are spinning in the opposite direction at 100,000 to 150,000rpms or more) undue wear of the thrust bearings in the turbo can be experienced. The blow-off valve avoids the situation by venting the air prior to impact. The other benefit of a BOV is that when you shift, for an instant your rpms may dive very low, even if you shift well(especially on high compression motors). By using a BOV the turbo stays spooled up until the throttle plate is re-opened and the BOV closes, then the turbo builds boost for that RPM(as in when you re-engage the clutch and stomp on the pedal). You can use a blow off valve on an auto, but it's not needed, as the method in which an auto shifts is no where near the same as a stick. A stick you go from near redline to the almost instantly(depending on your clutch) several thousand rpms lower, while your turbo is still building boost for the near redline rpms, and the air pressure in the intercooler line(or intake line if you don't have an intercooler). with an auto the transition to the next gear is fairly gradual, and you don't let off the gas to shift. Although you could use a BOV on a auto motor, it's usually not needed, but under no circumstances is there any need what so ever for a blow off valve on an N/A motor.

here's a good explanation of turbos
http://www.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm
it doesn't explain BOVs well but you can look at the picture on the bottom of this page
http://www.howstuffworks.com/turbo4.htm
and a BOV would go between the turbo and the intercooler on the compressed air flow line.
Old 05-20-2002, 03:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fvckin' hillarious! :p
Old 05-20-2002, 09:45 AM
Cruisin'

Old 05-20-2002, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

LOL, a N/A blow off valve sound generator (i.e. speaker)

What a riot!! I can't believe such an item exists....amazing
Old 05-20-2002, 11:15 AM
Pro

WTF? i didnt notice ne performance gains when i put a BOV kit on my car and its a 6spd. only thing i noticed was the "ppshhhhh" sound. u got something wrong there budyy!

Originally posted by BENZITO
Old 05-20-2002, 11:35 AM
Racer

LMAO!!...what some people will do to their cars. :p
Old 05-20-2002, 12:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by PsyKotiC RydeR
WTF? i didnt notice ne performance gains when i put a BOV kit on my car and its a 6spd. only thing i noticed was the "ppshhhhh" sound. u got something wrong there budyy!

He didn't get nothing wrong buddy. If it is installed on a old school turbo system without a blow-off or bypass valve, you WILL recieve a performance gain during shifts.

I would imagine a Supra would have a bypass valve already. So basically, you got the blow-off valve for the Phssssss!! Same thing I did for my Twin-Turbo Z that I had. Two blow-off valves to replace two bypass valves..all for the sound.

But do I miss that "sneeze" that my Z had.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:00 PM
Retired MOD

You could use a blow off valve or by-pass valve on a turbo, but you don't have to. Superchargers usually come with an internal by-pass valve, I believe the comptech supercharger has one. You can't put a BOV or BPV on a NA car, since you need to have air pressure to be release, this pressure is created by a turbocharger or supercharger.
Old 05-20-2002, 12:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
Get the Arospeed front mount air intake to complete the fake intercooler look. :o :yack:
Old 05-20-2002, 02:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by PsyKotiC RydeR

you don't get power, but you have less turbo lag after shift. In some cases it's probably not noticable. Not sure what car you have but in case of twin sequential turbos the smaller turbo usually kicks in so fast a bov isn't necessary. but it is cool.
Old 05-20-2002, 02:05 PM
Pro

not to mention the 6spd supra turbos lost boost every time they shift
Old 05-20-2002, 02:12 PM
Pro

i just tried out my freind's bov kit and i do miss that "pshhh" sound..but i have stock bov which makes no noise. but a bov wont give ne performance gains for the supra(could be different for other cars), but it does sound cool

Originally posted by TUFF GONG

He didn't get nothing wrong buddy. If it is installed on a old school turbo system without a blow-off or bypass valve, you WILL recieve a performance gain during shifts.

I would imagine a Supra would have a bypass valve already. So basically, you got the blow-off valve for the Phssssss!! Same thing I did for my Twin-Turbo Z that I had. Two blow-off valves to replace two bypass valves..all for the sound.

But do I miss that "sneeze" that my Z had.
Old 05-20-2002, 09:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

you dont get performance from a bov all it does is release pressure and the sound you get is because of the "horn " they put on the bov just like any horn it is the shape that gives you a particular sound