Blitzsafe 2002 TL-S 14-pin CD Changer Available?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 07:43 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blitzsafe 2002 TL-S 14-pin CD Changer Available?

2002 TL Type S
Factory Head Unit
Nav System
In-Dash 6-Disc Changer

I'm looking at buying the Blitzsafe Hon/Aux DMX V.1 adapter in order to do a direct line hookup of my SIRIUS radio. However, there's a warning on the http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzhonauxdmxv1.html website (under "Note #1) that states the following:

"Note #1 - Honda/Acura Empty 14-pin connector:
In several model years of Acura and Honda vehicles, three different types of radios were used that from the front, look exactly the same. Many have the unused 14-pin connector at the rear of the radio and also have the in-dash 6-disc CD changer or the single disc CD player. Some have the 14-pin connector at the rear of the radio but it is used by the 6-disc in-dash CD changer. Still others have no 14-pin connector at the rear of the radio, because the in-dash CD changer is connected internally and the 14-pin connector was never installed. This is why we state that your vehicle MUST have an empty 14-pin connector to be compatible."

So, my question is this - how do I know if my factory unit does have an extra/available 14-pin port that can be used with this adapter? Is there a way to figure it out without removing the HU?

I'm thinking about mounting the radio using the pro-fit custom bezel mount (http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/AC-54-99.pdf). Would I need to buy the special hook tools and dash trim panel tools as well to remove the head unit?

The only real work I've done on my car is replace the cabin air filters - by following directions found on this site! How easy/difficult is the Blitzsafe install for someone who is technically inclined, but hasn't done much work on cars?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2007, 09:23 PM
eXcelon53

Originally Posted by bubabobob876
2002 TL Type S
Factory Head Unit
Nav System
In-Dash 6-Disc Changer

I'm looking at buying the Blitzsafe Hon/Aux DMX V.1 adapter in order to do a direct line hookup of my SIRIUS radio. However, there's a warning on the http://www.logjamelectronics.com/blitzhonauxdmxv1.html website (under "Note #1) that states the following:

"Note #1 - Honda/Acura Empty 14-pin connector:
In several model years of Acura and Honda vehicles, three different types of radios were used that from the front, look exactly the same. Many have the unused 14-pin connector at the rear of the radio and also have the in-dash 6-disc CD changer or the single disc CD player. Some have the 14-pin connector at the rear of the radio but it is used by the 6-disc in-dash CD changer. Still others have no 14-pin connector at the rear of the radio, because the in-dash CD changer is connected internally and the 14-pin connector was never installed. This is why we state that your vehicle MUST have an empty 14-pin connector to be compatible."

So, my question is this - how do I know if my factory unit does have an extra/available 14-pin port that can be used with this adapter? Is there a way to figure it out without removing the HU?

I'm thinking about mounting the radio using the pro-fit custom bezel mount (http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/AC-54-99.pdf). Would I need to buy the special hook tools and dash trim panel tools as well to remove the head unit?

The only real work I've done on my car is replace the cabin air filters - by following directions found on this site! How easy/difficult is the Blitzsafe install for someone who is technically inclined, but hasn't done much work on cars?

Thanks
Your car does have a 14-pin port. The question is, do you have a 6 disk changer in the trunk? If you do, then you can't use it, because the changer is using the port. The other question, no special tools needed to take apart the dash. Pull the two wood trim pieces straight out at the top, and then pull on them from the bottom next to the arm rest. Then you'll see all the screws necessary to remove the head unit.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:39 PM
10th Gear

The 6-disc changer is in the dash.

The only thing in the trunk is the dvd-player for the factory Nav system.

So by just removing the wood trim pieces and then the screws underneath the wood trim, I can get to the back of the HU to plug in the Blitzsafe? Seems like some other posts showed upwards of 20-some steps to get at the HU - unless those were intended to tell people how to completely *remove* the HU?
Old 04-10-2007, 12:22 AM
eXcelon53

The 6-disc changer is in the dash.

The only thing in the trunk is the dvd-player for the factory Nav system.

So by just removing the wood trim pieces and then the screws underneath the wood trim, I can get to the back of the HU to plug in the Blitzsafe? Seems like some other posts showed upwards of 20-some steps to get at the HU - unless those were intended to tell people how to completely *remove* the HU?
If it has an in-dash 6 disk, chances are you do not have the 14 pin connector. I'm not sure on that, but I would assume there is no connector. Looks like you'll probably have to get an aftermarket deck with an aux input or ipod connectivity....

It is unnecessary to remove the entire headunit to plug in the blitzsafe though. Like I said just the trim, the 3 screws and side panel and you can reach it. It's a little tricky to get it in there, but shouldn't take more than about 15-20 min max.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:06 PM
10th Gear

Well if it's that simple to get enough room to reach under the HU and plug in the Blitzsafe, I suppose I could simply remove the trim and screws and put my hand up there to see if I can feel for an open connector port.

I've seen pics of what it should look like and the general location, so we'll see what I can find.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by excelon53
If it has an in-dash 6 disk, chances are you do not have the 14 pin connector. I'm not sure on that, but I would assume there is no connector. Looks like you'll probably have to get an aftermarket deck with an aux input or ipod connectivity....

It is unnecessary to remove the entire headunit to plug in the blitzsafe though. Like I said just the trim, the 3 screws and side panel and you can reach it. It's a little tricky to get it in there, but shouldn't take more than about 15-20 min max.
All of them have the connector
Old 04-11-2007, 02:02 AM
eXcelon53

Well if it's that simple to get enough room to reach under the HU and plug in the Blitzsafe, I suppose I could simply remove the trim and screws and put my hand up there to see if I can feel for an open connector port.

I've seen pics of what it should look like and the general location, so we'll see what I can find.
That's your best bet. It should only take you about 5 minutes to get both those pieces off. With a flashlight, you should know in about 6 minutes whether or not there is one...