Black window trim repair

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black window trim repair

The black window trim on my passenger rear has a small tear, and is coming away from the galvanized metal underneath.

Took it to the dealer, and they want $250 to remove and replace all of the trim for the rear passenger. They said the part is $31, but the rest is the labor. I don't want to pay $250 for this, and I don't have the expertise to do it myself. I could cover the hole with a piece of black electrical tape, but I'm sure it wouldn't last and would look crappy.

Anyone know of an easier/cheaper alternative?

Jay
Old 11-27-2003, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have an extended warranty, it should be included in there. If you don't then, like you stated...you could use some electric tape or I have even heard of some dealers even using paint to fix the window trim. Do a search for it, I'm pretty sure it was already discussed.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:31 PM
Burning Brakes

NO! NO! NO! There's a TSB on the $hitty tape they used on the door trim. It wrinkles and peels on a LOT of TLs. It sounds like there trying to get out of it because you might be out of warr. I'm not sure if they can do that but either way you want the trim to be painted on by a body shop, Thats the only real fix.

Good luck
Old 11-27-2003, 08:34 PM
Advanced

My $hit is bubbling up to , i think i will take it to the dealer, i heard it takes a while for them to fix it
Old 11-29-2003, 06:18 PM
Advanced

I'm out of my initial warranty, but I do have the extended warranty - which only covers the mechanical and not the exterior/interior trim.

There's a TLB on this? Maybe I can get this covered anyway... hmm... Can anyone point me to where I can obtain more information on this?

Thanks

Jay
Old 02-13-2004, 11:08 AM
Intermediate

hey guys, is there any way to fix this ourselves??

i'm way out of warranty, and my trim isn't really bubbling up, it just looks worn down, like the previous owner took some abrasive to it.......i don't know what to do to get it looking good again

any help would be appreciated

also, my navi screen looks kinda the same way, like someone took some cleaner that was too abrasive to it....and it took off some of the protective coating, is there any product out there you would recommend to re-protect the screen?
Old 02-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Do you mean the paint on the metal around the outside of the window frame or the weather stripping?
Old 02-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Intermediate

no no, i'm talking about the trim on the metal pieces on the outside of the window frame....i assumed that's what this thread was about
like i said, it's not bubbling, but rather looking really worn, like someone took an abrasive to it, i was wondering if there was any kind of paint/coating we could put on it outselves to make it look better

likewise, my navi screen needs some sort of plastic polish or protective coating, any ideas?
Old 03-02-2004, 07:53 PM
Advanced

Yeah, I'm dropping my car off at the dealer tomorrow to get my door trim fixed. Mine has bubbled up on both front and rear driver side doors. The dealer said a lot of TLs have had that problem and they have been repairing them under warranty.

It does take them a couple days to fix b/c it has to go to the bodyshop. They're going to have to come off a loaner while it's in the shop. (Hope it's an '04 TL )
Old 03-02-2004, 07:56 PM
Instructor

could someone with this problem post a picture, im trying to figure out if its the same thing i have and wondering if its under warranty
Old 03-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Cruisin'

I believe the bulletin that you are looking for is 00-002. This is in reference to the rear door sash being wrinkled. Basically the film has to be replaced by a body shop. Though not specifically covered under warranty, you might be able to ask for goodwill warranty consideration. Especially if you have a good relationship with your dealership.

It is not an easy repair, as they allow 4.6 hours for replacement of both rear sashes.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 03-03-2004, 07:08 AM
Banned

if its a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB), then shouldnt they replace it regardless of the warranty?
Old 03-03-2004, 07:28 AM
Advanced

Ther pricks where I bought my car wound not fix this !
Old 03-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Advanced

Okay, I dropped my car off this morning to the dealer. They gave me an '04 TSX. It's no TL, but it is pretty fun to drive. Slow as hell, but fun.

As mentioned in my above post, Acura is fixing my window trim under warranty. They were real nice about it. It does have to go to the body shop, and it is a min. of 2 days to fix.

Thumpy, I wouldn't care if they were pricks or not, if a bird takes a **** on my ride I'm taking it to the dealer and make them clean it while under warranty. If I were you, I would park my car in their service bay, lock it, and sit in there office until they agree to fix it. Hell, make a scene and start screaming on the tech. Whatever it takes!! :bigun2:
Old 03-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by AcMan24
Okay, I dropped my car off this morning to the dealer. They gave me an '04 TSX. It's no TL, but it is pretty fun to drive. Slow as hell, but fun.

As mentioned in my above post, Acura is fixing my window trim under warranty. They were real nice about it. It does have to go to the body shop, and it is a min. of 2 days to fix.

Thumpy, I wouldn't care if they were pricks or not, if a bird takes a **** on my ride I'm taking it to the dealer and make them clean it while under warranty. If I were you, I would park my car in their service bay, lock it, and sit in there office until they agree to fix it. Hell, make a scene and start screaming on the tech. Whatever it takes!! :bigun2:
I even contacted Acura Canada, All I got from them was "call the dealer". I wrote a complaint and got no response from Acura but the Dealership (STERNE ACURA IN Aurora Ontario) called me back.
I was essentially told the "surface corrosion" portion of the warranty had expired!

Anyways. I wrote the Better Busines Bureau and am waiting on somethong from them. If nothing happens with that I'm thinking of gettimg my Lawyer to send them a letter.

Sorry for side tracking the thread!
Old 03-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by AcuraTLS03
if its a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB), then shouldnt they replace it regardless of the warranty?
Legally no.

Ethically, I'm not sure, but in my opinion you take care of your customers.