a bit of dishonesty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Yup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a bit of dishonesty?

some guy i was going to buy a car off of once told me that his windshield was very pocked and so he got his windshield replaced by his insurance company. he just took a hammer to his windshield and said a rock flew up from the road and did it. does anyone know anyone who has done this? did the insurance company investigate this or was it a kind of no-questions-asked claim?
Old 04-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Well I would first find out what your deductible is for windshield replacement. My insurance company does not have a $0 deductible for windshields so I paid out of pocket.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If it is covered under your insurance policy.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Blazin with your Moms in

I get a new windshield every year.. I have glass on my policy so it doesnt cost me anything.

If you arent prone to accidents (which I am not) you have to get your money back from the Insurance industry somehow! AFLACK! lol

You figure ( full coverage) insurance should cover everything but yet when you have a fender bender the first thing they are looking for at the body shop is your deductable.

They dont feel sorry for Me when they send the policy/bill.. so I dont feel sorry for them when I put in My glass claim annually. Just GET R DUUUN!!!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Yup

great, thanks for the help
Old 04-19-2006, 03:28 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't tell them youwere driving the car and a rock jumped up and hit you.. if the rock came off another viechle they technically don't have to cover you.. And they will fight to try and convince you it was off another viechle.. been there done that..

Tell them your windshield was broken in a public parking lot, you were no where around, and when you came back to the car the you found it smashed...

Here's two examples..

if you run over a pothole and the tire pops.. it is not covered under insurance, unless you have some road hazard clause on your tires or policy. Now if you were to find your car in a public parking lot with the tire slashed/popped... the tire would be replaced for the deductable cost.

If you are driving you car and scrape along a bush or tree and put a nice scratch down the side of the car.. insurance will laugh at you if you asked for a new paint job.. However if you were to come apon you car in a parking lot with fresh scratches along it.. guess what? New paint job for the deductable cost...

Basically if the insurance can somehow prove that the car was under your control while the damage happens, they will call it your fault .. If you were no where around, and the car was in a safe place, you're good.. Basically, you were not there, play dumb... " I don't know what happened or who might have done this....but I pay insurance and I want it fixed"
Old 04-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
No, I've never done that or know anyone who has done it. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

My cousin once tried to convince me that it was okay. It's one of the reasons why I really don't like him now. It spoke volumes for his personality.

My windshield has several major chips and it's got a lot speckles on it from road debris. Yet I will not make a false claim. But that's just me.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
I sort of did this when I got my 03 headunit on my 99 TL... they were only gonna pay for a like kind quality radio, but it still knocked about half the price off. After my accident, I said my CD player would not play my CD's anymore, and I just threw in a CD I had burned at the body shop and of course the 99s radio wouldn't play it!
Old 04-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Too much trouble for a "free" windshield.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Intermediate

Impact on Insurance

I live out here in Colorado and have had three real rock hits on my windshield over the last six years, which is more than I ever had in Calif. I paid the $100 deductable each time on my repairs thinking it wouldn't have any effect on my insurance rate. WRONG. My last bill from Progressive had an increase due to my claims. So I'd think real hard about whether it is worth it over the long haul to get coverage for a windshield with speckle damage.
How much is a windshield replacement if you do it totally out of pocket?
Old 04-19-2006, 05:45 PM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

if your insurance rate doesnt go up then do it. they screw you every month of the year. stick it too them.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
All you need is a single chip in the drivers direct line of site and they cannot repair it with a filler. They have to replace the entire windshield. The repair shops are more than happy to replace any windsheild with little or no reason to because they want the insurance payout.
You never need to smash it with a hammer; a small chip and a claim of a stone hit or road debris will suffice.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Drivin' it till it dies!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by special e. dition
I get a new windshield every year.. I have glass on my policy so it doesnt cost me anything.

If you arent prone to accidents (which I am not) you have to get your money back from the Insurance industry somehow! AFLACK! lol

You figure ( full coverage) insurance should cover everything but yet when you have a fender bender the first thing they are looking for at the body shop is your deductable.

They dont feel sorry for Me when they send the policy/bill.. so I dont feel sorry for them when I put in My glass claim annually. Just GET R DUUUN!!!!!

Amen!!

If the windshield of a vehicle is cracked, it also plays a part in structural safety.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Drifting

you guys own $30k cars new, and your lookn to get a new "free" windshield, you gotta be kidding
Old 04-19-2006, 09:46 PM
02 TLS SSM - Hi Oh Silvr!

Ordinary Maintenance

A friend of mine owns a 99 M3, called around and found a new windshield replacement that came out to his work and replaced it for $200. He said that it was so cheap that he could afford to replace the windshield every 4-5 years as an ordinary maintenance costs. No, he did not use his insurance company.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Insurance is just that .... INSURANCE ... It's there in case something bad happens, it's not a savings account where the only way to get money out is by your car getting damaged. I'm sure you have health insurance too, if you don't get sick for the year do you hurt yourself in december so the insurance has to pay something.

If you have "specals" or chips I don't that that justifies getting insurance to pay. Now if that chip turns into a crack, then yes.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
For those that "abuse" the system, please don't bitch about high insurance rates.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Advanced

Exactly. Its people with crap morals like this that drive honest folks insurance rates through the roof.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Advanced

Check out full glass coverage, mine is very cheap, something like 15$ every six months. Then when my windshield gets cracked, I get it replaced, and i can sleep at night.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:23 PM
Initial D

If you talk to any windshield repair/replace man, get his honest answer, he will tell you no replacement is as good as the original factory one.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Blazin with your Moms in

Originally Posted by jpadilla
Insurance is just that .... INSURANCE ... It's there in case something bad happens, it's not a savings account where the only way to get money out is by your car getting damaged. I'm sure you have health insurance too, if you don't get sick for the year do you hurt yourself in december so the insurance has to pay something.

If you have "specals" or chips I don't that that justifies getting insurance to pay. Now if that chip turns into a crack, then yes.
Why not just get it fixed when its a chip?
Old 04-20-2006, 02:24 PM
Blazin with your Moms in

Originally Posted by Chester
Exactly. Its people with crap morals like this that drive honest folks insurance rates through the roof.

Correction! Its the THIEVES in the world that drive the insurance rate up?
Or how about the drivers with NO LICENSE??

Come on man, you cant make an assumption such as yours without weighing ALL the perspectives of the issue.

Kinda boils down to your insurance being high because you are an inexperienced driver , not because of a few windshields here and there!
Old 04-20-2006, 05:21 PM
All go, no show

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
No, I've never done that or know anyone who has done it. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

My cousin once tried to convince me that it was okay. It's one of the reasons why I really don't like him now. It spoke volumes for his personality.

My windshield has several major chips and it's got a lot speckles on it from road debris. Yet I will not make a false claim. But that's just me.
Well put.