Better Intake??? WEAPON R SHORT RAM OR COMPTECH ICEBOX???

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 02:38 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better Intake??? WEAPON R SHORT RAM OR COMPTECH ICEBOX???

Sup guys, I'm presently saving up money for some mods for my 2001 TL-P and I had an intake on my list of mods. I was pretty much sold on the the Comptech Icebox because everyone on this site reported the best gains from it and also, most importantly to me, it doesn't void the manufacturer's warranty.

But then....

Last nite I was skimming through the August issue of Import Tuner (I think the chick on the cover is pretty hot), and came across an ad of Weapon R short ram intakes. I like the look of the short ram and the ad also included a comparison of gains between the Weapon R short ram and other popular intakes including Comptech.

The comparison reflected that the Weapon R short ram had the best gains. Now I'm considering one. But before I purchase one, I would like to hear your guys' opinions on what you think is the better performing intake? And also, how reliable each is.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance everybody.

-Derrek
Old 08-04-2003, 03:38 AM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
I've had both. Lets put it this way, if I didn't care about passing smog in CA, I would still have my Weapon-R short ram intake. But if you don't mind switching back to stock intake when it is time for a smog check, go for the Weapon-R. By the way, check out the 4Sale section, I am currectly selling my old Weapon-R short ram intake for $65 shipped. You can email me at sam_suen@csaa.com for photos.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:21 AM
Racer

I don't know much about the weapon, but the design concept of a short ram makes no sense to me. Air near the engine is much hotter than incoming ambient air, so having the air box close to the engine and not heat shielded doesn't seem to me to be the best performance setup. THe ice box is very well heat shielded and takes in ambient air from the front of the car. I helped install one and I know the owner is very happy with it.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
as far as performance gains the comptech is the way to go!
Old 08-04-2003, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Re: Better Intake??? WEAPON R SHORT RAM OR COMPTECH ICEBOX???

Originally posted by VTECPINOI
the ad also included a comparison of gains between the Weapon R short ram and other popular intakes including Comptech.

The comparison reflected that the Weapon R short ram had the best gains. Now I'm considering one. But before I purchase one, I would like to hear your guys' opinions on what you think is the better performing intake? And also, how reliable each is.
These gains were reported for which car???? If its not the V-6 found in our car, it doesnt mean much.

I say Comptech all the way; CAI's will perform better than SRI's all things being equal over the entire rev band.
Old 08-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Advanced

Cool....thanks a lot for the info guys. I guess I'm goin' with the Comptech Icebox then for the better gains, even if it costs more. Plus, I don't have to worry about failing smog checks and voiding warranties.

A note about short ram intakes...

I do agree that it is an odd idea to have an intake so close to the engine bay where the air is indeed going to be hotter than it would be say near the front bumper. But when I went to the "Extreme Autofest" car show in Sonoma last week, it seemed that every car I looked at had short ram intakes.

I guess they're just more concerned with the "look" of short ram intakes on their engines.

- Derrek
Old 08-04-2003, 10:21 PM
Intermediate

does the icebox help with MPG ?
Old 08-04-2003, 10:25 PM

As long as you don't dog it it will help the MPG... Once you start driving it hard you will notice a decrease in MPG...