Best V6 Ever

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 11:18 PM
Grand Turismo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Obviously

Originally posted by EZZ

I GAVE YOU INFO!!! Look up ANY Consumer Reports Annual Car Magazine and it will give you the reliability of the Maxima since 1992. It lists all major components of the car (tranny, engine, brakes, etc...) and gives it a reliability rating. As I have said, the VQ has had excellent reliability up to this point. The Maxima itself it easily on part with the Camry and Accord

You also claim that Nissan has horrible reliability. You don't know your facts. Consumer reports gives it a good bet for reliability.
(http://www.consumerreports.org/main/...=1024631974768)

Now I gave YOU SOME PROOF. You show me some links that prove the VQ is an unreliable engine. I CHALLENGE you to show me one iota of evidence where the VQ is unreliable. Not Nissan, but the VQ.

BTW, the link you posted is total Bull S H I T regarding our converstation. It is a vehicle dependability rating, not an engine reliability rating dumba$$. I don't know how you get those two confused. If you also notice, Infiniti (luxury division of Nissan) is better than Acura. So I guess according to your logic, the VQ is more reliable than the J32 :p
Listen dumbass, I agreeded with you when I said that the engine was one of the best, if you read my original post "Although, they do make a good V6, arguably maybe the best, their reliability is for ****. Only a response with backup is appropriate" I made the argument that there reliablity and dependability is lacking. Before you go shooting off your mouth like an *******, please understand, at the least, what it is you are actually arguing about for christ sake.
Old 06-20-2002, 11:28 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Obviously

Originally posted by BakedWafer

Listen dumbass, I agreeded with you when I said that the engine was one of the best, if you read my original post "Although, they do make a good V6, arguably maybe the best, their reliability is for ****. Only a response with backup is appropriate" I made the argument that there reliablity and dependability is lacking. Before you go shooting off your mouth like an *******, please understand, at the least, what it is you are actually arguing about for christ sake.
I am argueing that the VQ has NEVER suffered reliability problems. The VQ has always been dependable. Consumer Reports Magazine actually has reliability info specifically for each car's engine and rates the VQ as excellent. That is my point.

I'm not talking about Nissan in general. I am only talking about the VQ
Old 06-21-2002, 11:00 AM
Instructor

what kills me is how dumb some of you are..

you say the maxima has bad reliablity and then you say the infiniti has great reliability..

its the same engine

what does that tell you? it means that its not hte engine they had a problem with for reliablity issues.. if some of you could just look past yoru bias thoughts.. you might learn a thing or two
Old 06-21-2002, 11:07 AM
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by doug

you say the maxima has bad reliablity and then you say the infiniti has great reliability..

its the same engine

what does that tell you? it means that its not hte engine they had a problem with for reliablity issues.. if some of you could just look past yoru bias thoughts.. you might learn a thing or two
If people are talking about JD Power & Associates ratings, they are measuring 'problems' per 100 cars...this includes everything, they do not list these issues by specificity. Now when you look at the Consumer Reports reliability ratings, they are broken down into categories.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:07 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by doug

its the same engine

That is what I've been saying the whole time BTW, the VQ aside, the Maxima has had GREAT RELIABILITY every year since it has been out. It has been rated as a best buy by every publication that rates car reliability just like the Camry and Accord.

(and no, i'm not gonna go dig up every link just to prove it )
Old 06-21-2002, 10:25 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Obviously

Originally posted by samkws

wait a min...the VQ came out in 95...still young to say it's reliable for an engine...it takes longer to earn a gd reputation...
Hey you ignorant fool, you talking out of your @ss again. 8 years is a long time. The only engine to be on the list of best engines 8 years in a row with out a hiccup. And you say that it hasn't earned a good reputation yet.

Besides what id "gd", I don't see that word in the dictionary, are you makeing sh!t up again.

You are smoking some serious c@ck man.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:11 PM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by garylee55

If people are talking about JD Power & Associates ratings, they are measuring 'problems' per 100 cars...this includes everything, they do not list these issues by specificity. Now when you look at the Consumer Reports reliability ratings, they are broken down into categories.
Nothing personal to anyone, but problems per 100 cars are probably the best / most useful measurement of how reliable a car is, so I pay attention to JD Powers more than Wards. To have a great car, you can't just have a great engine. Although the Nissan VQ is very reliable in my opinion, Nissan still lags far behind in the other departments. Cars are not exactly like computers, in which case you can mix and match the best parts to put together into one system. Rather, to have something truly great, you must create something that excels or is above average in every category.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Before continuing this long pointless thread with BigPimpin please read the following link and catch BigPimpin's lesson on Displacement. Its like beating a dead horse, you just wont win.

Posts like these and he still pretends to know info on cars other than for what is advertised which he mindlessly memorizes and regurgitates.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...0&pagenumber=2

Thanx for one of the funniest threads I have read in awhile, RAdams replies are priceless

Now Listen up guys, Baked, Sam, BigPimpin, EZZ, the flames stop now. I'll only say this this one time.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:59 PM
Grand Turismo

Hyde

I started this thread. And he provoked me Joking man, I'm out of this thread/
Old 06-21-2002, 11:59 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
Before continuing this long pointless thread with BigPimpin please read the following link and catch BigPimpin's lesson on Displacement. Its like beating a dead horse, you just wont win.

Posts like these and he still pretends to know info on cars other than for what is advertised which he mindlessly memorizes and regurgitates.

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...0&pagenumber=2

Thanx for one of the funniest threads I have read in awhile, RAdams replies are priceless

Now Listen up guys, Baked, Sam, BigPimpin, EZZ, the flames stop now. I'll only say this this one time.

gd one...

do u think i care?? i just think it's funnie....no flames...
Old 06-22-2002, 12:21 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Peace It's all in the name of fun. We weren't really flaming, just discussing
Old 06-22-2002, 10:18 AM
Senior Moderator

As long as its in fun I have no problem, but I dont think Pimpin was havin all that much fun.

Seriously though, its a little stricter here than in OT, (maybe this thread belongs there?), so just try and keep it a little cleaner.
Old 06-22-2002, 10:36 AM

Hyde ownz ya'll...:devil:
Old 06-22-2002, 11:58 AM
Advanced

Anybody can make a killer motor regardless of price but the "best" motor is one which satisfies many criteria in one.

1) 3800 GM V6: Incremental improvements kept this ahead of 24-valve V6 motors when combining packaging, low-cost, around-town response, and fuel economy. It may be a bit grittier at low and high speeds but to it's intended market it is still very smooth. Makes GM shareholders very happy thanks to low cost. Competition has just got around to building equally fuel efficient motors with equivalent throttle response down low but still far more expensive to build and not as compact. Tons of people have incredibly good experiences with this motor from drag strip to long-term durability. One guy has one with 380,000 miles and it still doesn't burn much oil.

2) Mercedes 3.2L V6: Like the GM motor, easy to adapt to supercharging. The real concern to industry guys is satisfying emissions regulations over anything else. Cause if you can't satisfy the laws, you can't sell any cars that use that motor. This twin-plug motor is one of the cleanest. 3-valve per cylinder layout is less costly and simpler than 4 valve motors but gives the proper balance of low-speed response and top-end pull appropriate for its intended market. Not fancy-pancy like its competition but it's much much cheaper which makes shareholders smile.

3) Nissan VQ series: The above two motors satisfy the concern of low-cost, packaging, fuel economy, and emissions (MB 3.2 V6) nicely. This motor at 3.5L is now flexible enough to be used from Murano SUVs to next gen. Quests to luxury cars to sports sedans to 350Z gt sports cars. If there's one motor that does it all it's this super free-revving piece. What a dream for shareholders to scale this widely. That means mega profits for Nissan.
Old 06-22-2002, 02:45 PM
Instructor

The reason why the VQ series engine has been on Wards is because its a mechanically simple-back to basics multi-valve, lightweight design, and its attention to details such as many micro-finished parts. Because of that, it will rev and rev and is extremely flexible. The engine is cheap to build, mechanically reliable, amooth, and fuel efficient. I think the reason why most magazines praise the VQ series engine is because it always feels like it has more than the rated HP/TQ, just like the J32A(?) engine in the TL/TL-S. The VQ engine is used in many applications, not just here in the US, but in Japan. The VQ comes in many varieties such as the VQ25DE, VQ25DD, VQ25DETT, VQ30DE,VQ30DETT, VQ30DD, VQ35DE, VQ35DD. The TL/TL-S engine is technically more mechanically advance, and thats why it is also a great engine in its own respect.

Although some of you stated that 8 years isn't enough to give reliable history, keep in mind that there are plenty of 1995 VQ Maxima owners with more than 150,000miles on the odometer and have only minor reliability problems (mainly the alternators failing around 100,000 miles). The engines are still running strong, evidence is in 14.XXX 1/4mile times that people are still getting in their 100,000+mile VQ Maxima's. I am sure that the TL/TL-S engine will last as long, and just be as mechanically reliable as the VQ or any other excellent Toyota/Honda engine.

TL/TL-S engines have many great things going for them. They are aso extremely flexible and their TQ curves are strong on the top half of the rev rage. Its a smooth engine. Granted, I think the engine sounds coarse, but it sure makes wonderful noises as it reaches its redline (TL-S engine). The engine is extremely reliable and build together with typical Honda precision. Its used in many applications because its a nice engine.

I feel that GM'S 3.8 is one of the best out there also. Its not as mechanically advance as the VQ or TL engines, but its a simple back to basics pushrod engine that is extremely reliable. This engine is gret for boost because it has strong internals and has an iron block. Granted, its not as revvy as multi-valve engines, but it follows the American rule, big TQ at low-revs and thats why I think this engine is excellent. Its not a high-revver, nor is it trying to be.

Another great V6 I feel, is Toyota's V6 (2Z-FE??I don't know) used in the Camry along with other applications. This engine is also smooth and is flexible enough to be used in other cars. The best thing going for this car is how quiet the engine operates, how smooth it is, and how the engine always feels positive in every application its in.

Nissan's VG engine seems to last forever, as someone else had posted before. I'd like to get into that, but I've posted to much and I'm tired to typing.

I'm not going to list other V6's, such as the NSX engines because that deserves its own award and its not obtainable to the general public. But I must say, its a wonderful engine.
Old 06-22-2002, 02:47 PM

Honesty, can we really say there is 1 best V-6? Seems we have a 4 way tie for first cause I cannot put one over the others.
Old 06-22-2002, 04:46 PM
Comptech Freak

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Honesty, can we really say there is 1 best V-6? Seems we have a 4 way tie for first cause I cannot put one over the others.
gd pt...

i agree these 4 engines are among the best V6...

but i still give the nod to GM's 3.8 liter...not only i have owned one...i have pushed it hard and it never bails u out...it's so smooth on hwy and with plenty of torque...

actually it is the durability and fuel mileage made it famous for 40 yrs...it's outdated...u would never think of a pushrod engine still exist these days...actually GM wanted to drop this and the small block V8 long ago..but it's just too gd to drop it and it has postponed the retirement to 2010...
also it has been said "bulletproof" for EVERY SINGLE magazine...it's well respected...
look at the old 80's buicks on the st...park avenue, le sabre...and they are still running strong and clean...rain or snow...cheap maintainence, excellent hwy mileage...(same as the VW 2.0L engine and without that annoyed fuzz) and it looks like it will last forever...

i choose the GM coz the topic is the best V6 EVER....so with the heritage of this engine...it has no doubt to be the best ever...

how about the others??
Old 06-23-2002, 07:53 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ
The VQ engine is used in many applications, not just here in the US, but in Japan. The VQ comes in many varieties such as the VQ25DETT, VQ30DETT,
Correct Me if I'm wrong but there is no such thing as a Twin Turbo VQ-V6(as the TT in the model number denotes) the only Forced induction 6-cylinder engines made by Nissan are the inline-6 RB series.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:31 PM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by KP117

Correct Me if I'm wrong but there is no such thing as a Twin Turbo VQ-V6(as the TT in the model number denotes) the only Forced induction 6-cylinder engines made by Nissan are the inline-6 RB series.
I think the Gloria or Primera has a VQ that is turbocharged.
Old 06-24-2002, 11:26 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by EZZ

I made a small bu-boo; instead of saying there were no forced induction VQ engines I should of said there were no twin-turbo VQ's (The Gloria has a VQ30DDT, with only one turbo)
You thought right my friend. but the primera does not have a turbo VQ.
Old 06-25-2002, 12:03 AM
Comptech Freak

Originally posted by EZZ

primera is using a 2 liter high output engine that has 190hp

while the american version G20 has only 145
Old 06-25-2002, 07:39 PM
Instructor

I would still rather have my 12 year old 3.6 inline six that was rated at 311hp stock (330+ with a chip), has 160k miles it and revs happily to 7300rpm. So why are we in awe of 260hp 3.5 liter sixes?

Actually, there are all kinds of reasons to like an engine. I like mine because it is powerful and makes a wonderful noise. My wife's 323i wagon has a great little six. Smooth, responsive and when mated to the 3:47 final drive, is surprisingly quick for such a little engine.

Our '94 Maxima was relatively problem free except for exhaust manifold warp caused by under-engineered bolts and a window regulator. Great car for the money but as the miles wore on the price difference became apparent. A chassis like jelly.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Hyde ownz ya'll...:devil:
The only thing Hyde owns, is the cack
Old 06-25-2002, 09:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by BigPimping

The only thing Hyde owns, is the cack
Why dont you *cough* Displace *cough* yourself. :flamer: