Best site to Order Cold Cathodes from????

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 08:19 PM
99TL-p 114K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Best site to Order Cold Cathodes from????

What is the best site for me to order cold cathodes from?? I want to mount some in the front footwells. Anyone who has already done this would be a big help for me???
Old 03-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
www.case-mod.com cheapest and the best, fast shipping as well. they sometimes sell out fast of the popular colors and it'll just take a few days to stock more
Old 03-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Drifting

Actually, nevermind. They used to be like $3 to $3.50 shipped over the past year. It appears they recently upgraded their pricing
Old 03-07-2006, 08:28 PM
99TL-p 114K

Originally Posted by Bxscig
www.case-mod.com cheapest and the best, fast shipping as well. they sometimes sell out fast of the popular colors and it'll just take a few days to stock more
Ok, sounds good. Im doin white since i have super white PIAA LED's in the maps, doors, trunk, license plate and dome. Have you installed cold cathodes yourself already?? If so, is it very easy to wire it up to the cars dome light so that they come on when you open the door and fade out once its closed?? Will wiring it that way cause my dome light to stop working over time because i have heard about that happening before to someone else. What all will i need for the install?
Old 03-07-2006, 08:30 PM
slobalt defender

Received 348 Likes on 185 Posts
I used Oznium.com, I have footwell, trunk, under seat, and back window cathodes all wired to a switch box in my center console. They ship really fast.

PM me and i'll go into detail about installation, took about 4 hours for me.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:58 PM
I LOVE LLAMAS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NOOOOO... DO NOT HOOK UP ANY CATHODES TO ANY DIMMING DEVICE, SURE IT LOOKS COOL, but lower voltage over time, say a week, = BLOWN TRANSFORMER, any dimming device slow or quick will blow a transformer, which in turn will blow a fuse.......
Old 03-07-2006, 10:18 PM
99TL-p 114K

Originally Posted by sunboy52
NOOOOO... DO NOT HOOK UP ANY CATHODES TO ANY DIMMING DEVICE, SURE IT LOOKS COOL, but lower voltage over time, say a week, = BLOWN TRANSFORMER, any dimming device slow or quick will blow a transformer, which in turn will blow a fuse.......
Ok so your saying that i shouldnt wire the cathodes so that they come on with the dome light once a door is opened?? I dont plan on using a dimming device.

What do i need to do then?
Old 03-07-2006, 10:21 PM
I LOVE LLAMAS

You said the lights FADE when the door's close??? that still counts over time that FADE will blow the transformer......
Old 03-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dvsxlt247
Ok, sounds good. Im doin white since i have super white PIAA LED's in the maps, doors, trunk, license plate and dome. Have you installed cold cathodes yourself already?? If so, is it very easy to wire it up to the cars dome light so that they come on when you open the door and fade out once its closed?? Will wiring it that way cause my dome light to stop working over time because i have heard about that happening before to someone else. What all will i need for the install?

Yeah they fade with the dome lights and I had no problems unlike what others have said. I had them in my car for over 18 months. I've installed it for other people as well for well over a year I believe and no issues. All hooked up to the dome light. Only bad thing was that these cathodes are definitely more delicate than regular neons. So hiding it on the passenger side is a LITTLE harder. I have 3 sets of 2 installed in my trunk. I did the rear as well but didnt spend much time fixing it. People ended up breaking 2 sets so I just removed it from the rear seats. I used white myself. My brother with a RSX-S is using red since it matches his dash and interior colors.

I dont know if the fading due to lower voltage drop will cause it to blow but I havent had it happen. Maybe it will in 2 years time but it will still last a damn long time Only from personal experience and the other people I installed it for. I had it running in my car the longest.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:10 PM
99TL-p 114K

Originally Posted by Bxscig
Yeah they fade with the dome lights and I had no problems unlike what others have said. I had them in my car for over 18 months. I've installed it for other people as well for well over a year I believe and no issues. All hooked up to the dome light. Only bad thing was that these cathodes are definitely more delicate than regular neons. So hiding it on the passenger side is a LITTLE harder. I have 3 sets of 2 installed in my trunk. I did the rear as well but didnt spend much time fixing it. People ended up breaking 2 sets so I just removed it from the rear seats. I used white myself. My brother with a RSX-S is using red since it matches his dash and interior colors.

I dont know if the fading due to lower voltage drop will cause it to blow but I havent had it happen. Maybe it will in 2 years time but it will still last a damn long time Only from personal experience and the other people I installed it for. I had it running in my car the longest.
Ok so then ill just order the cathodes from case-mod and wire them to the dome since you said you had no issues with them fading out. I thought cathodes were supposed to be smaller and much more easier to hide??? no?? I know there delicate but they should be alot easier to stick up in that gap on the passenger sid footwell right?? Theres plenty of space on the driver side one so that will be easy.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:23 AM
Racer

I also have ccfl, had it for about 18 months also. Got no problem with it and never heard of it going out. If it does, it is not expensive to replace it at all.

The passenger side is a little more difficult, you can use double sided tape and have it stick on the bottom end of the glove compartment if you get it in the right area. Or you can just zip tie it to something/ wire. Just play with what you got a little bit and you will find a way.

Drivers side is definately easy, nothing to worry about there.

Like what Bxscig said, becareful with the rear, my passengers ALWAYS have a habbit of breaking them.

BTW, does anybody know if there is a fuse for the trunk light? My ccfl went out in my trunk and now i have no power to it.

P.S. I don't know about you guys, but when i extended my wires the first time, I used a gauge that was to big and had not enough power to them (half lit up bar and no light what so ever. I recommend you not using anything lower then 16 gauge I think it was.

Good Luck with the install
Old 03-08-2006, 05:56 AM
Drifting

It is smaller and easier to hide but still harder on the passenger side. I stuck it in the little gap where the glove back opens up. Right in front of where the cabin air filter is. It just fits in there and is safe when I open the glove box. Test to make sure you put it high enough in there so that is safe when you open the glove box.