Best polishing towels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 08:51 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best polishing towels?

I've been using Zaino (Z2 and Z5) for several weeks now and can say that I've got noticeably fewer swirl marks, but there are still a few that linger, especially visible in direct light. When buffing off the haze, I've been using Fieldcrest towels as recommended by Zaino, however, I'm wondering if the towels are putting the swirls right back on to the paint?

Can anyone recommend a specific brand and make of towels they're using that they know for sure are swirl free? Also, any tips on how to wash and dry them would be useful too?

Thanks,
ckNJ
Old 08-14-2002, 09:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

It sounds like you're doing everything right. What kind of applicator are you using? I recommend 100% cotton or foam applicators. Make sure they are washed thoroughly after use to remove contaminants and to prevent the polish from hardening. How many coats of Z5 have you applied? Depending on the depth of the swirls, it may take more than a few coats. As for washing the towels, I recommend using a liquid detergent and liquid fabric softener. The Fieldcrest towels are the best in my experience.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Have you considered microfiber towels? That's what I use. No swirls.

Try http://www.yosteveshop.homestead.com/mf.html for really good ones. They are the ones I use.
Old 08-15-2002, 09:11 AM
Instructor

I'll pick up a few microfiber towels to see how it pans out. I've been putting 2 coats of ZFX activated Z5 with a coat of 1 coat of ZFX activated Z2.

Did some research on the towels in these forums, but never really found a conclusive brand to go with. Guess there's never going to be a clear winner in this whole ordeal...

ckNJ
Old 08-15-2002, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Well I can tell you from personal experience, NicSand and any ones from KMart, Walmart, Target... suck.

Don't waste your money.

Just so you know, Z5 is good, but it will not get rid of bad swirls. You need to hit the car with either an orbital or rotary buffer with some sort of abrasive. I use 3M Swirl Mark Remover (39009). It works great.
Old 08-16-2002, 02:13 AM
Censored User

Location: Miami - just one day, I would like to drive without getting cut off!
I HATE SWIRLS
Old 08-16-2002, 04:17 PM
Drifting

I order like 50 mf towels from this one guy...the towels are pretty good and only $2 for each...tell me if you want his email.
Old 08-16-2002, 06:49 PM
www.cardomain.com/id/perr

Originally posted by peiqinglong
I order like 50 mf towels from this one guy...the towels are pretty good and only $2 for each...tell me if you want his email.
Hey share the wealth email me the emaill address as well.

Old 08-16-2002, 07:21 PM
Censored User

Location: Miami - just one day, I would like to drive without getting cut off!
Originally posted by peiqinglong
I'd like the email address too!
Jadia4@acura-tl.com

thanks
Old 08-18-2002, 10:51 PM
DHB
Instructor

Re: Best polishing towels?

Originally posted by ckNJ
I've been using Zaino (Z2 and Z5) for several weeks now and can say that I've got noticeably fewer swirl marks, but there are still a few that linger, especially visible in direct light. When buffing off the haze, I've been using Fieldcrest towels as recommended by Zaino, however, I'm wondering if the towels are putting the swirls right back on to the paint?

Can anyone recommend a specific brand and make of towels they're using that they know for sure are swirl free? Also, any tips on how to wash and dry them would be useful too?

Thanks,
ckNJ
On his web site under FAQ's and Tips, Sal Zaino says the following about using 100% cotton towels:

The safest way to remove the residue from your paint is with white, made in USA, 100% cotton name brand large bath towels, such as Cannon or FieldCrest. Get them in the bath section at any major department store. The towels that you find in auto parts stores, or the auto sections of the department stores are usually not made in the USA, and even though they may say they are 100% cotton, they are not. Anything other than 100% pure white cotton may scratch your paint finish.You should use white towels because the dyes in colored towels can leave a chemical residue on the piant, and cause streaking. Also, it's important to either remove the stitched borders from your towels, or keep the towels folded in a way that keeps the borders away from the paint. The borders(edges or designs) can scratch your paint, as they may not be 100% cotton.

Wash your towels in hot water, and with a liquid detergent, like liquid Tide, or ALL. Avoid using Powdered detergents, Bleach or any kind of Fabric softeners as these products will leave a chemical residue on your towels that will cause streaking and scratching.
In addition he answered an e-mail I sent asking him about using micro-fiber towels. He stated that he loved the idea behind them and was testing them. Unfortunately there seems to be a wide variance in quality where he has found some that do a wonderful job and some that definately scratch even when they were of the same brand of ones that previously did not scratch. According to Sal, the micro-fiber towels made in Korea were the worst in regard to likelihood of scratching but his testing is not yet complete. Because of this he is not recommending them at this time.
Old 08-19-2002, 09:00 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by perrymaxima

Hey share the wealth email me the emaill address as well.

Really sorry about the late reply...here's the email...tell him Richard (rbui@sjsu.edu) sent you. jtintern@hotmail.com. Here is what he sent me as far as "price list"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Micro-touch" tagged 70/30
16x16 inch soft,plush terry towel 2.00 mint green, dk green, blue,
purple.
16x36 inch soft,plush terry towel 4.75
24x46 inch soft,plush terry towel 9.00

"Ultrafine" tagged 70/30
15x15 inch soft,plush terry, slight thicker 2.00 purple, green, burgundy, gray, dk purple
24x46 inch soft,plush terry, slight thicker 9.00 blue, purple

16x24 inch waffleweave 4.00 gold
16x36 inch waffleweave 7.00 blue, gold
24x46 inch waffleweave 12.00 gold, mint green
28x54 inch waffleweave 16.50 mint green

15x15 inch "suede" microfiber towel 2.00 blue, green

14x16 cm suede optical cloths 0.40

Microfiber Mitt Glove 3.00 white, blue

Prices do not include shipping and depends on your order size. I accept
PayPal email: jtintern@hotmail.com , VISA MasterCard, money orders.
California residents please add 7.875% sales tax.

I ship ASAP upon payment receipt.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
He does ship fast. As far as what I ordered was (50) 16x16 EXTRA plush towels for $2 each. I ordered 10 out of the 50 to be a different color so I know which towels are used for cleaning my exhaust, rims, engine bay, and other little stuff such as the gas casket area and the door sill areas. These towels are wonderful! Work very well and have not had a scratch. Also I recommend you ordering a 24x36 waffleweave for $12...this will be your main drying towel. You don't even know how much water this soaks up! Or you can go to one of those bed and bath places and pick up a 100% COTTON...do the burn test to make sure it's 100%...beach towel...these will work too. I personally use this one http://www.properautocare.com/bigbludryint.html. The one this guy...JT International or Tom, is offering is pretty much the same exact one at half the price for more!

Now you might be asking why do I trust this guy as far as mf towels so much...how many of you heard of www.autopia.ws?. This is the most indepth and knowledgeable car cleaning forum that exist on the web. This is where you have from professional to amateur detailers who have shared their experiences...definitely worth signing up to and checking out. I am a freak when it comes to taking care of my car...me and my 2 other friends have spent roughly $300 worth in cleaning supplies just to ensure our car's newness look. Do a search on Autopia, most people there will recommend JT International because of his prices and the quality of his mf towels. Be sure to mention my name when ordering from him...he is a wonderful guy.

Also there is one thing that always has concerned me...the autopian community have always ragged on Asia made mf towels because they are cheaply made due to the fact that a mf towel making machine cost roughly a million to buy, but JT International towels are made in asia...but many autopians believe this to be quality towels...it's up to you...but I just wanted to mention that to all so you have the entire story. Here is something worth reading http://www.properautocare.com/micwhatbigde.html

Richard
Old 08-20-2002, 12:53 AM
Drifting

bump
Old 08-20-2002, 11:14 AM
Instructor

I'll have to second everything Pei Qing Long mentioned. First off, this site contains next to nothing in terms of detailing tips in comparison to autopia. After all, Autopia is 100% dedicated to detailing. There really ought to be a link from this site to autopia. Seems to me everyone here is into their cars, and would like to keep them looking great. I just think that there is a wealth of knowledge everyone here should look into.

JT International (Tom) all the way. Best prices hands down. Great quality towels. I ordered 20 Microfiber towels, and one big waffle weave towel for drying from JTI. I completely detailed my car yesterday with claybar, Zaino, etc, and these towels rock. I got different colors so I know which ones are for washing body, wheels, polishing, etc. You won't believe how much water this waffle weave sucks up. I dried my car after 2 washes with it and never had to ring the towel out. Again, his email: jtintern@hotmail.com

One last thing: I paid with PayPal and got my order within a few days.