Best mod yet

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 09:17 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Best mod yet

I got the CL-S throttle body and my car and i love it.. Much, much more punchier off the line. And a lil more punchier up top. My next step is to get the manifold port matched. So far i am very impressed by this mod. Made me feel like what the headers have done before for me. I reccomend this to all Premium guys.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is the CL-S throttle same as TL-S? and is it 38mm big correct me if iam worg
Old 06-07-2004, 09:48 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bigman
I got the CL-S throttle body and my car and i love it.. Much, much more punchier off the line. And a lil more punchier up top. My next step is to get the manifold port matched. So far i am very impressed by this mod. Made me feel like what the headers have done before for me. I reccomend this to all Premium guys.
Hey Bigman - I'm interested. Can you give us more detail on where you purchased it, and how difficult it is to install?

Cheers!

Jay
Old 06-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I am also interested. I've never heard of this being done. Like Bigman, I also would appreciate some more info. Always looking for ways to increase the hp. Thanks.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:04 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

I paid 175 at a junk yard that had the cl-s in it. I also took the cams, intake manifold and some other engine stuff. Someone took the crank case and head so i couldnt snatch the whole motor. The CL-S Throttle body is the same as a TL. It is much bigger, i think 64mm, not too sure though. It bolted right on in only about 40 minutes. The car responds better, and has more punch. The butt dyno feels this mod as much as i felt my headers. Punching it from a stand still left my tires smoking. I punched it from first at about 4500 rpm and spun my way into second. This mod was worth it. I would do it all over again. The car was reborn today, wait till i drop my cams in with a vtech controller, its over.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:06 PM
Banned

More info please........

How much? How was the install? How much bigger is the thottle body?
Old 06-07-2004, 10:22 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

the install was easy, i did it alone, but had a mechanically inclined friend with me. It took me 40 minutes for removal of old tb and install of new one. Any decent shop will be able to install in about an hour. A cl-s tb runs about 250 to 300. And it is significantly bigger.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:21 PM
ഥഎണഡഏ Fellas Inc.

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
argh...need to find wrecked TLs and CLs
Old 06-08-2004, 08:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Bigman, did the CAI still fit? Isn't the TL Throttle body 2.75" ID and the CLS/TLS 3" ID?
Old 06-08-2004, 09:10 AM
Pro

Bigman, you and I both have the S.P.E tower, I had a machine shop, almot rebuild the thing, and the gains were awesome. With that said, did you have any troubles matching up against the tower? Those the CL-S TB comes with the stock spacer as with the TL-P?

I have the icebox, and it's really a tight fit right now... will it push out any further with this TB?

Hit me up with some info, brother......
Old 06-08-2004, 09:47 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Originally Posted by El pana/TL32
Bigman, you and I both have the S.P.E tower, I had a machine shop, almot rebuild the thing, and the gains were awesome. With that said, did you have any troubles matching up against the tower? Those the CL-S TB comes with the stock spacer as with the TL-P?

I have the icebox, and it's really a tight fit right now... will it push out any further with this TB?

Hit me up with some info, brother......

The TB Bolted right on with no issues at all. What i did for the time being with my intake was i got a 3 inch to 2.75 inch coupling. As far as the spacer is concerned, it was much smaller in size so i will either sell it our bore it out at a machine shop. My intake position is in the same exact location as it was before. Believe me you cannot tell the difference between tb's unless you look at the diameter.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Sounds like my next mod. Who cares about the kid's college fund. Is the coupler just a piece of rubber tubing that reduces from 3" to 2.75"? Pics?
Old 06-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Pro

The TB Bolted right on with no issues at all. What i did for the time being with my intake was i got a 3 inch to 2.75 inch coupling. As far as the spacer is concerned, it was much smaller in size so i will either sell it our bore it out at a machine shop. My intake position is in the same exact location as it was before. Believe me you cannot tell the difference between tb's unless you look at the diameter.
Sounds like another MOD to me... One more question, the Intake manifold diameter, is still larger than the CL-S TB diameter? Or is it the same size now?

It's a tight fit to get the ICE Box tube over our TB's today, will you have to cut it back a bit to fit on this new TB, because of the wider diameter? Thanks for the info!

My friend at the machine shop, could repreduce these spacers for our specific requirements. For example to match the diameter of this CL-S TB.

He could do it for about 60.00 a piece, but I would have to order 20 - 40 pieces. They do work for an aviation company here in Dallas.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Dyno results please (before and after)!
Old 06-08-2004, 10:28 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by patrick
Dyno results please (before and after)!
That whole thing about DYNO testing is played out, I have been around these forums for about eight months now, and yes, in comparison to most of you, that's nothing. I have seen it all here, members posting gains, based on feel, or perception, and other memebers asking for them to prove it with a DYNO run.

I have also seen members that are truly dedicated, and provide DYNO test runs, and other members come back with "You can't belive everying you see" So.... with that said, to each it's own, if you feel gains, wether or not it's DYNO proven, more power to you men!

In my opinion, Bigman is a repetuble source for information, and that's the way I gauge my choices in making modifications to my vehicle. The bottom line is: It's your decission what you do or don't do with you car.

Power to the people, let's fight the POWER!!!!
Old 06-08-2004, 11:36 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

In my opinion, Bigman is a repetuble source for information, and that's the way I gauge my choices in making modifications to my vehicle. The bottom line is: It's your decission what you do or don't do with you car.

Thanks man. My butt dyno feels the difference and that is all that counts to me. I will not bore out the manifold because i will be purchasing an MDX Intake manfold. Also i have the Type S cams that i purchased from the wrecked car. Once that is all in, then i will dyno tune the car with an apexi vafc to get proper a/f ratios and to adjust vtec engagement for the cams. All in all i should have a mini beast, as it is, i am able to take a stock type s. Off the line it's close till about 50 when i start pulling. From a roll i pull right away and much harder.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:00 PM
Pro

Thanks man. My butt dyno feels the difference and that is all that counts to me. I will not bore out the manifold because i will be purchasing an MDX Intake manfold. Also i have the Type S cams that i purchased from the wrecked car. Once that is all in, then i will dyno tune the car with an apexi vafc to get proper a/f ratios and to adjust vtec engagement for the cams. All in all i should have a mini beast, as it is, i am able to take a stock type s. Off the line it's close till about 50 when i start pulling. From a roll i pull right away and much harder.
Sounds good brother! You have done good work with your car! Thanks for the info.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:06 PM
Missing my Acura's

Man We Need Pics Of Everything A.s.a.p.!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2004, 12:32 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

cant take pics of throttle body, its already isntalled, i have the cams that i can shoot later. I have the intake manifold also and may be selling it so that i can do the mdx manifold.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:08 PM
2003 SSM TLS

Excellent work Bigman. It really sounds like you know your engine mods.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

That whole thing about DYNO testing is played out, I have been around these forums for about eight months now, and yes, in comparison to most of you, that's nothing. I have seen it all here, members posting gains, based on feel, or perception, and other memebers asking for them to prove it with a DYNO run.

I have also seen members that are truly dedicated, and provide DYNO test runs, and other members come back with "You can't belive everying you see" So.... with that said, to each it's own, if you feel gains, wether or not it's DYNO proven, more power to you men!

I'm not disputing Bigman's claims, nor did I say that he's not reputable. I've been on ATL long enough to realize a good mod when I see one. The TB mod is a good mod to do; heck, I've thought about doing the TB mod AND regrinding the cam for better perfomance last year. But the obvious question that needs to be answered is: will this mod give me the best bang for the buck? A dyno will help me (not you) to determine this. Unlike you, I don't got a bank account overflowing with money. I can't afford to experiment like Bigman when I got limited funds. I got a mortgage and a family to feed. Before I sink in my hard earned money, I have to know that this mod is really that good. Is it really too much to ask? Hence my request to Bigman for a dyno.
Old 06-08-2004, 02:54 PM
I got 99 Problems

can we contact a dealer and get a GB goin on this lol..
Old 06-08-2004, 03:01 PM
I got 99 Problems

can you give some steps on how we do this it would be great.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sounds good

Thanks Bigman, I'll be getting this one soon....
Old 06-08-2004, 10:06 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by patrick
I'm not disputing Bigman's claims, nor did I say that he's not reputable. I've been on ATL long enough to realize a good mod when I see one. The TB mod is a good mod to do; heck, I've thought about doing the TB mod AND regrinding the cam for better perfomance last year. But the obvious question that needs to be answered is: will this mod give me the best bang for the buck? A dyno will help me (not you) to determine this. Unlike you, I don't got a bank account overflowing with money. I can't afford to experiment like Bigman when I got limited funds. I got a mortgage and a family to feed. Before I sink in my hard earned money, I have to know that this mod is really that good. Is it really too much to ask? Hence my request to Bigman for a dyno.
It was not a personal attack, just an observation!
Old 06-08-2004, 10:20 PM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i always wondered if the S throttle body would work OK, guess now i know. so yea, thats my next mod after i get the sways in.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:28 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
cant take pics of throttle body, its already isntalled, i have the cams that i can shoot later. I have the intake manifold also and may be selling it so that i can do the mdx manifold.
sounds like a nice mod. have you or anyone else on this forum been able to confirm that the Mdx manifold will be a direct fit bolt-on to our tlp. thanks
Old 06-09-2004, 02:07 AM
Advanced

Speaking of throttle bodies, I wonder if this would work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 06-09-2004, 09:57 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

the mdx manifold is a direct bolt on. I know an accord guy with it.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

did you check about fuel issues?

yo M, what's up? sounds great! but the type-s plenum and butterfly's are different (fuel?) you are comingling 3.5 parts to a 3.2 engine. did you find out if the mdx manifold will skew your air to fuel ratio? what about fuel injectors? the mdx injectors don't fit on 99 tl's, you might even need a new/diff fuel pump? just off the top of my head? how's westchester these days!? p.s. nice pussy!!!
Old 06-09-2004, 12:54 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

yo k man whats up, westchester is hot and bothered these days. I wont have to worry about air fuel ratio because of the dyno tuning with the apexi vafc. Also the stock injectors and fuel pump should be up to the task considering, the guy i am working with has done this to 2 accords so far. I have spoken to both owners and both said after the vafc was added and tuned, the car ran great with no fuel problems. I still have the type s manifold and may hook up the imrc valve to an rpm switch and dyno tuning it. My guy is doing some research and planning everything out for me. Good to hear from u though.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
question...

Bigman...I have a 2000 TL and have two questions. First will any year Type-S throttle body fit? And will I need to enlarge the intake where the T.B. bolts to it to allow in the additional air? Thanks ahead of time...
Old 06-10-2004, 09:36 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

yes, any tb would fit, and no you dont have to enlarge the opening, i feel punchiness already, but if i didnt have a new manifold going in, i would have port matched it.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
sweet. keep us informed. now if only i could find those parts id do it too. but we dont have any salvage yards aound with those cars in them
Old 06-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

yes, any tb would fit, and no you dont have to enlarge the opening, i feel punchiness already, but if i didnt have a new manifold going in, i would have port matched it.
Just wondering if you know this by chance: how many labour hours does it take to port match the intake manifold? Just wondering... So you're saying port matching the opening of the TB to the intake manifold is not required?
Old 06-10-2004, 05:07 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Type S throttle body, Type S cams, V-AFC...

you guys are making me spend big $$$$. :o

bigman: with i/e/h/p were you able to pull on a type-S ?
(with no tb spacer or type s tb)

@cUr@-TL
Old 06-10-2004, 05:10 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Bigman: also if i ever decide to replace the manifold, do i have to get a different engine cover and different screws/bolts ?

what about the throttle body, do i have to get only the throttle body itself or also new bolts and shit?!

thanks a lot!

@cUr@-TL
Old 06-10-2004, 06:38 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

The throttle body doesnt require new bolts, it is the same exact piece, just with a larger diameter. And yes with i/h/e/p i was able to pull on 3 S'. As for the change in the manifold, u will need a new manifold gasket and valve cover gaskets. The Engine cover may not fit, i know on my 99 it will not fit. Also, i am going to change the timing belt while doing all this.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:00 PM
i

i was looking around and i found this...64 mm, thats the same thing huh?

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/produ...173&vehicle=TL
Old 06-10-2004, 08:22 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by moahdriven
i was looking around and i found this...64 mm, thats the same thing huh?

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/produ...173&vehicle=TL

i'd get a Type-S throttle body... cuz if u go that ^^ way you have to send yours to them and they bore it and send it back to you.. but your car is gonna be stuck in ur driveway fora lil' while!

@cUr@-TL

Quick Reply: Best mod yet