Beat an Infiniti MFR. Rep- In his G35-

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 10:04 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its good to see people sticking up for acura...............if i hear about "the new sheriff in town" one more time
Old 04-23-2002, 10:27 PM
10th Gear

Originally posted by city001
ON ANOTHER NOTE:

if G35 , a NEWER and BETTER car... with close 50/50 weight ratio, REAR wheel drive and 260HP with 260 TORQUE...is averaging only .2 second faster to the TL-S in 0-60....that's just plainly SAD

TL-S that doesn't have a close 50/50 weight ratio and a FRONT wheel drive with only 232 TORQUE.. and can reach that speed...I'm really amazed with the achievements that HONDA has made..

city
yeah, what he said:p

don't you think acura can make up .2 sec in the next generation '04 model...hell yeah and then some

just when the competition tries to catch up, acura blows by them again.
Old 04-23-2002, 10:31 PM
10th Gear

Cool

The G35 should technically be a better car than the TL-S, considering it's practically brand new design-wise (how long has the Skyline been around in Japan?). Infiniti/Nissan has had plenty of time to do their homework and make a real killer car in this market segment. Spec wise, the G35 should dominate performance in this segment.

The final result is that the G35 may be 0.2 - 0.5 seconds faster going from 0-60. True, that may or may not be the only measure of a car's performance, but it appears Infiniti has ONLY succeeded in building a car that relatively matches and perhaps, very barely, beats the TL-S in performance.

This just goes to show that Acura has built one hell of a car, that still remains the best value for the money. I bought my TL-S a month before the G35 was available, and I test drove practically everyother car in that price range. It came down to the TL-S, I35, and G35. The I35 is a great car, very luxurious, but didn't have the "fun factor" I was looking for. Seems to be a car for someone older (I'm 25). The G35 had great technical specs, but I was really put off by (IMHO) its extremely unattractive rear and pseudo-futuristic instrumentation theme. (The coupe looks hot, but I need a 4-door at this time.) Plus, can't beat Acura's overall reliability and resale.

Bottom line: to each his own, enjoy what you got, and remember the other guy usually thinks the same way about his ride as you do about yours.

Oh yeah, and I don't think the G35 will put too much of a dent in the TL-S sales streak. The G-coupe on the other hand...well with the CL-S most probably getting axed soon, it will be interesting to see what happens in the coupe segment.
Old 04-24-2002, 12:42 AM
EZZ
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by afropuff
The G35 should technically be a better car than the TL-S, considering it's practically brand new design-wise (how long has the Skyline been around in Japan?). Infiniti/Nissan has had plenty of time to do their homework and make a real killer car in this market segment. Spec wise, the G35 should dominate performance in this segment.

The final result is that the G35 may be 0.2 - 0.5 seconds faster going from 0-60. True, that may or may not be the only measure of a car's performance, but it appears Infiniti has ONLY succeeded in building a car that relatively matches and perhaps, very barely, beats the TL-S in performance.

This just goes to show that Acura has built one hell of a car, that still remains the best value for the money. I bought my TL-S a month before the G35 was available, and I test drove practically everyother car in that price range. It came down to the TL-S, I35, and G35. The I35 is a great car, very luxurious, but didn't have the "fun factor" I was looking for. Seems to be a car for someone older (I'm 25). The G35 had great technical specs, but I was really put off by (IMHO) its extremely unattractive rear and pseudo-futuristic instrumentation theme. (The coupe looks hot, but I need a 4-door at this time.) Plus, can't beat Acura's overall reliability and resale.

If straight line is what you want, then more power to you but the G35 will in all likelyhood smoke the TLS in the twisties. I myself appreciate great handling cars. I love the chassis of the 3 series bimmer and the IS300 and many say the G35 rivals these cars in terms of handling (I gotta go test drive soon =) I will be in the market for a new sport sedan in about 2003-2004 and will be seriously looking at both the G35 and the TLS/CLS (new model).

I'm still freaked about the TLS's pathetically weak tranny so I hope they do decide to put a 6 speed into the new model coming out (honda makes the best manuals on the planet ). If they do decide to remain FWD, then G35 will probably be the better choice being in so cal.

BTW, the Infiniti brands have BETTER reliability than the Acura brands. However, Infiniti's resale value really really sucks
Old 04-24-2002, 08:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Acurapimp
All you tls fanboys need to get over it.

The G35 is technically more advanced than the tls.

Please enlighten me as to what technological advancement(s) the G35 holds over the TL.
Old 04-24-2002, 08:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

id love to see a more powerful and manual transmission model tl in 04 ,,,,ive always had a stick shift ,,,,,,even my 91 legend sedan which i just traded in was a five speed. But im a loyal acura fan and will continue to be
Old 04-24-2002, 05:12 PM
AC
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RAdams

Please enlighten me as to what technological advancement(s) the G35 holds over the TL.
A better tranny... LOL... j/k boyz!
Old 04-24-2002, 05:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

I can't believe people are argueing over technical advancements
and fractions of a second. The only advances in technology I see
are hybrid engines. Neither of the cars are sports cars, neither
can pull 1 g, neither are much faster than a granny in her 295
horsepower eldorado. I think people should be banned for
starting "MULTIPLE" arguements in various threads over the
same subject. You can sit here all day and say that the Civic SI is
superior to the SVT Focus, but who really cares? Enough is enough.

low blow AC...
Old 04-24-2002, 05:56 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Closer
You can sit here all day and say that the Civic SI is
superior to the SVT Focus, but who really cares? Enough is enough.

low blow AC...
Is it? I alwasy thought Focus was superior of two (minus reliability).
Old 04-24-2002, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by AC

Booohaaaahahaaha.

How true a statement.

Coming straight out of the mouth of a acura-tl premium member.

Nuff said.:wow:
Old 04-24-2002, 09:44 PM
AC
Drifting

Originally posted by Closer
I
low blow AC...
I know I know...just like to stir things up every now and then...

You know, I dare anyone with a G35 race NovaWhiteTypeS...hehehe.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:45 PM
AC
Drifting

Originally posted by Acurapimp

Booohaaaahahaaha.

How true a statement.

Coming straight out of the mouth of a acura-tl premium member.

Nuff said.:wow:
Dude, it was a joke...
Old 04-24-2002, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by AC

Dude, it was a joke...
It may be a joke, but it is true
Old 04-25-2002, 03:13 AM
Retired MOD

Originally posted by RAdams

Well I don't know if they will bring it over here, but one of the models on the G35 family has a CVT extroid transmission.
Old 04-25-2002, 06:19 AM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by city001
ON ANOTHER NOTE:

if G35 , a NEWER and BETTER car... with close 50/50 weight ratio, REAR wheel drive and 260HP with 260 TORQUE...is averaging only .2 second faster to the TL-S in 0-60....that's just plainly SAD

TL-S that doesn't have a close 50/50 weight ratio and a FRONT wheel drive with only 232 TORQUE.. and can reach that speed...I'm really amazed with the achievements that HONDA has made..

city
On top of all that, consider that the G35 weighs in 200 lbs less than the TL-S. On paper it's nice, but in reality when it really matters, the G35 is disappointing.
Old 04-25-2002, 07:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by AC

Old 04-25-2002, 08:58 PM
DHB
Instructor

Hmmmm. Is it possible that Acurapimp used to post here under a different alias who also had a fanatical attraction for the G35?
Old 04-25-2002, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by DHB
I am the all knowing newbie, I have been in this board for 1 month and know everything.
Don't be a wise guy sherlock.
Old 04-25-2002, 10:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts
That pretty much proves it... Good call, DHB.
Old 04-25-2002, 10:58 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by DHB
Hmmmm. Is it possible that Acurapimp used to post here under a different alias who also had a fanatical attraction for the G35?
Nope its not just you who was thinking that. Not just in this post, but in all posts I have seen. Dont worry we are well aware.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:15 PM
DHB
Instructor

What I don't understand is why such a person would bother posting here? If I were enthralled with another car (G35) and there was a quality web site available for enthusiasts of that car (freashalloy), I would spend all of my forum browsing time there instead of making posts on the site of a car I felt was inferior.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:18 PM
DHB
Instructor

Originally posted by Iceman
That pretty much proves it... Good call, DHB.
Thanks! It was part question and part probe.
Old 04-26-2002, 12:09 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by DHB
What I don't understand is why such a person would bother posting here? If I were enthralled with another car (G35) and there was a quality web site available for enthusiasts of that car (freashalloy), I would spend all of my forum browsing time there instead of making posts on the site of a car I felt was inferior.
Unfortunately, the mod section of it isn't quite robust yet. (It's a brand new model after all)
I just browse quality forums for other cars to get ideas, etc.
Old 07-15-2002, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Re: Beat an Infiniti MFR. Rep- In his G35-

Originally posted by DAY Type S
I must say it felt good- after reading all the posts here about the G35 is a better option overall than the type S- Thats crap this TL is sweet.

I pulled up to the light and there he was. Also, upon pulling up to the light behind him I noticed how unattractive the back end of the G35 is.

He smiled when he looked over and then at his bighaired girlfriend. We nailed it and I was eight inches to a foot ahead the whole time. We had to slow as the local community police station was approaching on our right. If anything they are both great cars and the TL is much sexier of a looking ride than the G35. (Needless to say the poodle in his front seat-):yack:

We have an overall great vehicle!!

The infinity rep was probably just falling asleep in his much more comfortable drivers seat.

Good for you in out performing him. To be fair to the two cars was your car stock, was his car stock??? Did he have the sport package?? The two cars are so close to equal mods would make you beat him if he is bone stock.
Old 07-16-2002, 05:34 AM
Dr. TLS

Re: Re: Beat an Infiniti MFR. Rep- In his G35-

Originally posted by emeraldTL

The infinity rep was probably just falling asleep in his much more comfortable drivers seat.

Good for you in out performing him. To be fair to the two cars was your car stock, was his car stock??? Did he have the sport package?? The two cars are so close to equal mods would make you beat him if he is bone stock.
Does the G35 require the non-standard "sports package" now to be fast? lol
Old 07-16-2002, 11:33 AM
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Since you just pulled up beside this guy on the road, how did you know he was an Infiniti Rep (was there a sign on the car? did you talk to him?), and how'd you know the lady was his girlfriend?
Old 07-16-2002, 09:47 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Beat an Infiniti MFR. Rep- In his G35-

Originally posted by vandy786

Does the G35 require the non-standard "sports package" now to be fast? lol
The answer to your question is NO.

In fact the G35s that has been tested by all the auto magazines that beat the acura tl-s in virtually every single performance category DID NOT have the sports package. Now is that "fast" enought for you.

Now the question for you is...

If the tls is considered to be a "Sports" sedan, why do you have to add aftermarket parts such as headers and sways bars to keep up with the competition.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:09 PM
...and then there was One

Re: Re: Re: Re: Beat an Infiniti MFR. Rep- In his G35-

Originally posted by truthoffacts

If the tls is considered to be a "Sports" sedan, why do you have to add aftermarket parts such as headers and sways bars to keep up with the competition.
I don't have to, dumbass. 330's, G35's, GS's, Mustang GT auto's... ate them all.
Go back to the other forum.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:48 PM
Comptech Freak

didn't all u realized that acurapimp and truthoffacts are the same person.....

big****ing...

stop bs and get out of here
Old 07-17-2002, 07:03 PM
Pro

lol...this thread is so entertaining to read...back n forth all this bantering...LMAO!!!!!! but yeah the G35 is dayam hurting in terms of looks...front end is too plain and the a$$ is to nicely put it unique but an ugly unique :yack:
Old 07-17-2002, 09:44 PM

What do you guys think about the design of the modern Lexus GS series?
Well to answer his question, I LOVE IT!!!

Hey, you magazine racers, get a grip (or shove the magazines up your collective as$es). Cars that close in acceleration is a throw up 0-60. If any driver hesitates, they will LOSE period.

I've raced 3 G35s now and I have yet to get or recieve back a wave or thumbs up. Guys seem hell bent on proving their car is the greatest thing since the remote control. They are FASTER 50-80 than the TL-S, that thing has a hell of a mid-range in my experience.

Since I've smoked both cars at the light by pretty equal distances, the cars are about even. Over 100mph, the G35 is also quicker than the TL-S (cause I've raced both over 100).

But mahn, I could not be caught dead in that thing. TL-S has roomier back seat (G35 is pretty small for such a large wheelbase, trunk is large). Interior screams cheap, TL-S much better. G35 feels much more planted and secure (thank it's RWD) on the road and in corners.

Like the TL-S at 30k the G35 is a steal and great buy. At 38k they are FOCKING CRAZY with their hood prop.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:02 AM
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

But mahn, I could not be caught dead in that thing. TL-S has roomier back seat (G35 is pretty small for such a large wheelbase, trunk is large.
Actually, the G is very comparable in size from an interior perspective; in fact larger than the TL-S: (I also know because I used to own a TL-S and now own a G)...this is from MSN Carpoint...

TL-S G35

Front Headroom 38.2 in. 40.5 in.

Rear Headroom 36.5 in. 40 in.

Front Legroom 42.4 in. 43.9 in.

Rear Legroom 35 in. 36.2 in.

Front Shoulder Room 56.2 in. 56.4 in.

Rear Shoulder Room 55.7 in. 56.2 in.

Front Hip Room 53.3 in. 54.3 in.

Rear Hip Room 53.3 in. 53 in.

You also overstated the price difference. My G has everything my TL-S had except heated seats and a Navi, and I paid $1500 less for my G. Big whoop on the hood prop...I never open it anyway, lol! That's the service department's job!

And again, this is not a bash at the TL-S...I loved that car...and I don't care which one is faster...also, styling is a subjective preference...one peron's piece of art is another person's piece of $hit. I know you own a Lexus GS something or other...and they have looked the same for the last bazillion years and are as plain looking and stylish as a pair of white tube socks...to me, that is...but, I'm sure it's beautiful to you!
Old 07-18-2002, 10:04 AM

I know you own a Lexus GS something or other...and they have looked the same for the last bazillion years and are as plain looking and stylish as a pair of white tube socks...to me, that is...but, I'm sure it's beautiful to you!
Well let's see the GS came out in 1998. You may notice luxury car buyers like sutble changes over the life of the car, not drastic changes as that would kill re-sale value. I am sure you knew this though.
If the design does not change it means 2 things:
The car maker is happy with it, no matter how many they sell (may be the competition has not changed either).
The buyers are happy with it's aging styling.

If you think the GS is plain looking, that is a first. I expect an ugly comment, or too stylish, or kinda tubby looking.

Yeah styling is subjective I totally agree.

Now referring to room in the rear, I am talking about sitting in both cars and adjusting front seats, sitting then going in the back seats. Stretching across, where is your head placed, how low are the seats. Many cars have bigger dimensions on paper, but are smaller and less liveable when people sit in the actual car. Both rear seats are larger than the IS backseat though.

I an not bashing either car, just my experiences with both.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:19 AM

Yeah, people are b!tching and stuff. 5 years ago, this class had NO true sport sedan options but the 3 series.
Es 300 luxury sedan, no sports
I 30 a joke
1st gen TL a joke
A4 was still coming of age
Millinia
Diamante

Now the Lincoln and Caddy are trying. Lex led the way with the IS. The A-4 is awesome, now in S4 form too.The 2nd gen Tl was a huge improvement over the 1st gen, the I 30/35 is more powerful, now the G35. Times are good.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:14 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
word!
Old 07-18-2002, 05:19 PM
Advanced

Yep... lots of improvements on cars.
I can't wait until the Mazda RX-8 comes out.
If that baby was out last year, I may have gotten that instead of the 3.2 TL-S...
Old 07-18-2002, 10:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by garylee55

Actually, the G is very comparable in size from an interior perspective; in fact larger than the TL-S: (I also know because I used to own a TL-S and now own a G)...this is from MSN Carpoint...

TL-S G35

Front Headroom 38.2 in. 40.5 in.

Rear Headroom 36.5 in. 40 in.

Front Legroom 42.4 in. 43.9 in.

Rear Legroom 35 in. 36.2 in.

Front Shoulder Room 56.2 in. 56.4 in.

Rear Shoulder Room 55.7 in. 56.2 in.

Front Hip Room 53.3 in. 54.3 in.

Rear Hip Room 53.3 in. 53 in.

You also overstated the price difference. My G has everything my TL-S had except heated seats and a Navi, and I paid $1500 less for my G. Big whoop on the hood prop...I never open it anyway, lol! That's the service department's job!

And again, this is not a bash at the TL-S...I loved that car...and I don't care which one is faster...also, styling is a subjective preference...one peron's piece of art is another person's piece of $hit. I know you own a Lexus GS something or other...and they have looked the same for the last bazillion years and are as plain looking and stylish as a pair of white tube socks...to me, that is...but, I'm sure it's beautiful to you!
haaahaa
Old 07-19-2002, 12:45 AM

haaahaa
What's so funny?
Old 07-19-2002, 06:22 PM
Racer

I have had two Acura TL's. A 1999 3.2TL and, what I now have, a 2002 3.2TLS. I bought these cars because of their overall construction and their value; although the 2002 is NOT made as well as the 1999 was; imho. I do not feel that the 3.2TL is in any way and eye catching vehicle or a "thrill" to drive. It's a great car for the money, rides and drives quite well, and has great resale value.

I went with my friend to test drive the new infinity G35 and I do like the car. The interior materials are not superior to the Acura but "to me" the overall look and feel of the car is more in line with my personal taste. The seating is more natural and has more of a sport drive feel to me, the handling and response is more "seat of the pants" than the TLS. And, come on, admit the TLS seats leave something to be desired. I could drive myself right out of the TLS's drivers seat; it does not grab your a**. Well, at least not mine

The G35 exterior fit and finish is "beyond a shadow of a doubt" superior to the TLS. Tighter seams and a super paint job. Admit it, how many people have posted on this board how poor the TLS's paint finish has become; it's a fact!

The G35 transmission is fast and smooth and NISSAN transmissions, at least automatics, are widely accepted as being very good. How many of the TLS guys who frequent here have had tranny problems? Come on speak up, can't hear ya

And I love all these posts that say the G35 is Fugly, like the TLS is macho or a milestone in automotive design; damn thing looks like an Oldsmobile or a Buick. One thing the TLS is not "eyecatching". It's a four door sedan with balls.

So be objective. I've had two ACURA 3.2TL's as I have stated but, personally, I'll take a G35 if a good deal comes along

Btw, smart a** replies serve no purpose other to waste time and space
Old 07-19-2002, 07:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by imax
The G35 exterior fit and finish is "beyond a shadow of a doubt" superior to the TLS. Tighter seams and a super paint job. Admit it, how many people have posted on this board how poor the TLS's paint finish has become; it's a fact!

The G35 transmission is fast and smooth and NISSAN transmissions, at least automatics, are widely accepted as being very good. How many of the TLS guys who frequent here have had tranny problems? Come on speak up, can't hear ya
Nice post, but I disgaree with the first paragraph I quoted and wanted to add something to the 2nd.

The TL-S paint probems have all been the paint is too soft, etc, etc. As was stated several times, thats an EPA issue, not an Acura issue. All car paints today are water based paints which makes them much softer than years ago and that has affected all car makes. BMW, Acura, even Nissan, Infiniti, Audi, and Toyota; it doesnt matter. All newer car owners are complaining their paint is too soft, especially in comparison to their older cars, and if you ask any detailer, they will tell you the same thing. Thats a fact!
The only fact you posted was that many members had the opinion that the paint was soft. Yup thats true, but compared to what???

In review after review cost cutting on fit and finish in the G35 was a major issue. These Companies dont make their own paint, they just decide on the colors.

On the 2nd paragraph, I have owned a Nissan Sentra and Nissan Max. The Sentra ate 3 trannies before we ditched that POS, and the Max was recalled 3x for various fixes. Our Altima which we still have has been to the dealer once for a warrantied fix of a malfunctioning sensor. Besides the Sentra which I consider the exception and not the norm, the cars served us well and were otherwise trouble free in the long run. In general Honda/Acura's have been considered very reliable which is one reason for their excellent and hard to touch resale value. Having had 4 Hondas (Accords and the TL-S)and 5 Nissans(Sentras, Max, Altima) in my immediate family, our experiences were that the Hondas were bulletproof compared to the Nissans, and nothing about my experience with my TL-S has changed that at all. Hard to knock the reliability when not a single review or evaluation has given the car anything but a thumbs up on a car that has been out for 5 model years now.

Quick Reply: Beat an Infiniti MFR. Rep- In his G35-