AV6 Swap kinks and codes.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 11:16 AM
RTH
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AV6 Swap kinks and codes.....

Spent the last 2 months swapping out my 3rd bad transmission for an AV6 but I’m not out of the woods yet....

I swapped in a 2006 Accord V6 Transmission from LKQ and after dealing with some improvisations, it worked fine…for a while. I rationalized it was because the transmission was probably sitting around for quite a while (probably a few years) and the solenoids might need be dry, etc.

I obviously changed the fluid and cleaned everything (solenoid screens, et al) and have experienced the transmission throwing codes periodically, mostly from either the TCC (Lockup) solenoid, and from the “Shift Solenoid B”. I swapped/checked/cleaned both those solenoids (if I’m not mistaken, they’re both right next to each other high up on the transmission under the intake – i.e. not the easiest to remove). The car ran fine for about 2 days, now suddenly I’ve got a perpetual P1753 code that doesn’t clear.

P1753 = Problem in Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Valve Circuit

With the engine “off”/ignition “on”, I will clear the code but it comes right back immediately (don't even need to start the car, just wait 5 seconds and it comes back). I've replaced the Lockup solenoid (which I think is also the TCC - Torque Converter Clutch) solenoid with a "newer" (albeit not brand-new) solenoid from my old 3.2 TL transmission. I’ve verified the solenoid(s) are good via bench tests.

This sounds like a wiring or PCM issue to me, based on the testing and the fact that I have tried two sets of these solenoids (one from the old tranny, one from the new). Just for grins, I disconnected the solenoids and reset/reread the codes and the behavior was identical as described above.

How does one test the connector/wiring/harness/pcm to the solenoids and what should I be looking for? (I checked #6 drivers side fuse, that’s not the problem.)

I assume one of the leads of the connector should be “hot” at some point in time, I just don’t know when or how to test the harness. Should one or both female connections inside the connector be 'hot' when the ignition is "ON"? Is there any way to test the harness connection and/or the PCM to these solenoids?

Any help is TREMENDOUSLY appreciated, this is getting soooo very frustrating....I'm sooo close, yet can't seem to work out all the kinks....

Thanks for any insight, I'm nearly out of ideas....

Soooooooo close!!!!
Old 07-15-2014, 05:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
If ya don't already have a copy of the Factory Service Manual....download one and it may help ya troubleshoot your issues better. Much more detailed with electrical schematics to help ya.
The following users liked this post:
ErickUa5 (07-15-2014)
Old 07-15-2014, 07:12 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
Question, Which torque converter did you use ?
The one that came with the AV6 tranny or the older tranny ?

Have a look at the connector for the TCC solenoid it may just be a damaged lead not making contact with the solenoid connection.

Heres the wires.
Yellow:+ should show battery voltage when you turn the ignition to position II but only for a few seconds as a self test.

Black - is Ground, to test hook up the test light to battery positive and you should see it light at all times, even with the key off.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:28 PM
RTH
Intermediate

OK, I finally found some time to play around with this again.

I have the Service Manual – it’s somewhat helpful, though I think I’ve reached the end of it’s usefulness with this particular problem.

Checking the connectors for the TCC, the ground is good, and I am getting momentary voltage during the “self-test” phase. HOWEVER, the voltage sent to the solenoids during the self-test phase never registered above 10volts. I guess this could be because my digital voltmeter didn’t respond fast enough, but it was consistent that it never reached above 10v. Is this normal? Shouldn’t it reach 12 volts, even if momentarily? Not sure what this means, but this leads me to believe something is wrong with the PCM – like it’s not “querying” the solenoids correctly.

In fact, I unplugged the TCC and Shift Solenoid connectors, and connected them to two OTHER identical solenoids (from my old transmission) and the P1753 error code behavior was identical. I did this by sliding some “crimp-on” wire connectors over the blades of the solenoids, then running a jumper wire to the original solenoid connectors (black and brown) and ensuring a positive connection to the female connector “sleeves” (that slip over the blades of the solenoid).

None of this made a difference in behavior.

This seems to imply that it’s not the solenoids themselves, but either the PCM, or the communication of the PCM to the solenoids. (Either that or I’ve got two sets of bad solenoids, or the error code is erroneous in identifying WHERE the problem is).

Grrrr!
Old 07-26-2014, 03:56 PM
RTH
Intermediate

FINALLY found it!

Just to close this out in case someone in the future encounters persistent codes (P1753 and P0753 in my case), after giving up and taking the car to the Acura dealer, the technician explained it took quite some time to locate the problem, but it turned out to be: (drum roll....)

a GROUND connection.

Specifically, it was the "G151" ground connection which was loose on my transmission.

Grrrr! $250 to clean and tighten a connection I must have missed when transferring the harness that connects to the trans temp sensor and clutch pressure switch (the "First" step in 666Wokker's "FAQ: 06-07 AV6 Swap"), which contains the G151 ground.

Lesson: CHECK *AND CLEAN* YOUR GROUND connections, both from the transmission to the frame, and from harnesses to the transmission itself!!

The following users liked this post:
3.2TLc (07-26-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A bad ground connection has been known to cause cancer in laboratory mice. It's crazy what kind of weird issues they can cause.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Yeah, and sometimes these crazy rodents are known to even munch the wiring insulation within our car's underhood areas. On occasion, they will turn on and glow a bit..... then become bionic Frankenrats !!!