ATTN: Wayne or Jens

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 07:00 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ATTN: Wayne or Jens

Recently I've had my right HID bulb replaced(victim of theft). What puzzles me is that the replacement bulb, which is a genuine Acura part and was ordered and installed by the body shop, appears to be more "yellowish" than the one from the factory. This begs the question: Does Acura use a different supplier for the replacement bulbs? As far as I know, the "factory bulbs" are manufactured by Philips; I know that for a fact because the body shop owner showed me the broken bulb that the thieve hadn't succeded in taking. Any feedback and comments will be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-05-2002, 07:24 PM
Jens

For whatever mysterious reason this has happened to us as well on a few occasions with brand new parts out of the box.It appears that most of the bulbs in the parts loop are white in appearance and a few that are more yellow in appearance.The only thing we were able to do was to try out a few bulbs that matched.This problem first reared it's head early on when headlight theft first started but then we did not see it again.It may be that the source for your bulb may have had a very early production bulb .I seem to remember our parts people making a number of calls about this to the powers that be at Acura but nothing ever came of it.I would suggest you visit your dealer and explain the situation if you have receipts for the parts it should be alright for them to exchange under warranty the bulb .We have had to do this a few times in the past but remember you will need to show receipts since the part was installed by your body shop.Jens
Old 02-05-2002, 07:39 PM
5th Gear

But Jens, do you know who the supplier of the replacement bulbs is? If it is anything other than Philips then I can see why they would look different from the factory bulbs. In that case, I guess I'm out of luck and see myself having to purchase another replacement bulb to match the one that's already on.
Old 02-05-2002, 08:44 PM
Pro

instead of replacing the factory bulbs, should've gotten the 6000k bulbs instead from autolampsonline.com, you won't be disappointed.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:10 PM
Jens

I will have to look and see who makes the bulbs for us .My guess as to the color difference is that maybe Acura changed suppliers or a production change caused this to happen.As far as I know and what threw us for a loop was that even though a few bulbs came through the parts pipe line with a different color the part number never changed.Jens
Old 02-05-2002, 11:04 PM
Super Troll

Originally posted by TommiGSR
instead of replacing the factory bulbs, should've gotten the 6000k bulbs instead from autolampsonline.com, you won't be disappointed.
i agree go with the 6000K
Old 02-06-2002, 06:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by roadrunner
But Jens, do you know who the supplier of the replacement bulbs is? If it is anything other than Philips then I can see why they would look different from the factory bulbs. In that case, I guess I'm out of luck and see myself having to purchase another replacement bulb to match the one that's already on.
it probably the same supplier but the only thing is that new bulbs will burn in yellower when their new and slowly change over time...as because the electrodes are still new and the gas mixture isnt been completly burned in yet
Old 02-06-2002, 07:18 PM
Jens

Sorry did not get a chance to check out the info on the actual manufacturer of the HID bulbs as I was up to my ears in work I will try to get it for you asap.Jens
Old 02-07-2002, 06:51 PM
Jens

Our bulbs are made by Osram they are labeled "Xenarc".Jens
Old 02-07-2002, 07:18 PM
5th Gear

Thanks a million, Jens; you've been a great help! Okay, I now have the official confirmation that Acura DOES use a different supplier for their CL/TL's replacement light bulbs-mystery solved and this is the good news. The bad news is, I now have to get another replacement bulb to match the one that's on the car. Jens, is there any way I could order the part through your dealership by phone or online and make an appointment to have it installed at a later date?