Attn: TL owners! Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2002, 08:49 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Attn: TL owners! Transmission

Hey Guys...
I start noticing a problem with my transmission about a month ago...but it didn't happen much, so I thought it was normal. But last Friday...it problem started acting up really bad. Everytime I would try to speed up or step on the gas...the rpm would go up really high and jerk hard...than it would switch to the next gear. Or sometimes it redline before it would switch gears. So I decided to bring it to the Acura dealer to have it check out... the service advisor told me that my transmission is bad and that I have to get a new transmission replacement. Luckily...I still have warranty on the car, cause the service guy told me that it would cost about $7000.00 (Parts & Labor) for a new transmission. He said it would probably take about two weeks...so Acura provide me with a rental car until my car is done. The service advisor that help me out was really cool.

I have notice some of you guys have transmission problems...I suggest that if it's kinda serious or you start noticing it alot, then I recommend that you bring it to the dealer IF it's still under warranty...cause maybe your transmission is out. For those that doesn't have warranty good luck, cause it's going to cost lots of $$$$$!
Old 02-13-2002, 12:37 PM

I have a 2001 TL and I experienced suttle problems as well.

Mine would sometime go from 2nd gear to neutral (not 3rd). Some times, it would not upshift. I took it in and they did a total transmission replacement. I just picked it up today. Seems to work nice.

I hope it doesn’t happen with the warrantee runs out.
Old 02-13-2002, 12:41 PM
Racer

Smile

Acura Boi, what year you got? The only thing my car does that's similar to something like what your car did, is when the temp. of the engine is at 'cold' and I just turn on my car and drive--it goes to a high rpm before changing from 1st to 2nd gear. But if the temp. of the engine is at normal (mid-way), it does not do that and I have a '99.
Old 02-13-2002, 01:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Like I just posted in another thread. I just dropped my car off at park ave for the same problem. Also, someone else dropped theirs off yesterday for the same thing. Both were 99's.

Rosh
Old 02-13-2002, 05:39 PM
TL
Instructor

Hi,
I'm not sure if what I notice is a transmission problem. This happens only when I'm driving up a slight up hill incline, and I slow down from 80km'h to around 10-20km/h (ie: due to slow traffic). The transmission remains in 2nd gear instead of switching to first, so when I step on the accelerator, it feels jerky. When I slow down to a stop, it switches to 1st and everything is smooth again. This is reproducible on the incline I drive by everyday (but only that road!). So I'm not sure if it's a problem. The rpms do not go up really high..they remain within normal range. I'm thinking perhaps it's Acura's grade logic control? Other than that it drives very smoothly. I hope someone has some insite!
Old 02-14-2002, 12:59 PM
Advanced

I have a 2001 Acura TL....with about 25k...I just drop it off last week. The service advisor said it will probably take 3 weeks to put in a brand new transmission for my car.

I ask him if there was a recall on the TLs due to the transmission...and he said no...but I'm not the only one this is happening to. He said that once they put in the brand new one it shouldn't happen again....??