Apexi WS Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2001, 01:20 AM

Post Apexi WS Coilovers

*Apexi WS Coilovers*

Anyone have them? advantages/ disadvantages, any thoughts? Or is it better to have a spring/ shock combination instead? I'm looking for good cornering without losing too much of the comfortable ride.

Thanks

------------------
'00 Acura 3.2TL Laguna Green
PIAA Plasma 9005
OSRAM Diadem side markers
V1
other mod's coming after the winter...
Old 02-07-2001, 01:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've had them on my IS300, they were great! good quality ride (stock almost) and performed well. but i switched over to tein HA, i love them, especially because the damper is adjsutable unlike the apexi WS. if you want tein with basically stock quality ride, go for tein CS series.

------------------
'01 Lexus IS300
'91 Acura NSX
'95 Nissan Maxima
Old 02-07-2001, 03:47 AM

How is the ride compared with coilovers/shocks and springs/shocks? If im correct, coilovers are shocks with built in springs correct? In that case you won't need the OEM shocks right?

------------------
PIAA Plasma 9005
V1
Old 02-07-2001, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

yeah coilovers have shocks and spring built in you won't need your OEM shocks.
Old 02-07-2001, 12:32 PM

Anybody know if Tein HA coilovers makes an application for the TL or Accord. I checked the site and it seems like it only has an appication for the Accord Wagon.

Oh... thanks for your idea's guys. A local shop offered the Apexi WS coilover for $1300 (CAD) so i'm deciding to go with either that or the Tein HA's.

------------------
PIAA Plasma 9005
V1

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by ugen78 on February 07, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 02-07-2001, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Getting the proper suspension set-up for your ride depends mostly on your application & where your priorities are. Is your car gonna be (1)a daily driver but you want improved performance without sacrificing the ride quality drastically, (2)are road conditions in your area such that you'll need to have height adjustability to accomodate the different seasons, or (3)is your daily driver gonna be used for some serious weekend racing.

If you fall under category (1) then you're best bet would be a good spring and shock combo like Eibach pro-kit & konis. The progressive rate on the springs will improve performance and still keep your ride stock-like. If you fall under category (2) some coilovers (true or sleeved) will work. It'll let you raise your car back to stock height during those rainy/snowy season's. The sleeved coilovers tend to be very harsh because of the very high spring rate, so you'll be sacrificing a lot on ride quality. If you fall under category (3) then you'd want as much adjustability on your suspension as possible, height & dampening. This will allow you to tune your car according to specific track conditions. The average enthusiast doesn't even need to go this far because they normally don't have the time nor the ability to properly tune a suspension setup such as those offered by Tein to take full advantage of the adjustability.

For me I fell somewhere between categories 1 & 3. I intend to do some weekend racing for my daily driver. I was willing to sacrifice some ride quality for improved performance. I ended up getting the Apexi WS coilovers because it met my most important criterias. The coilover do ride harsher than stock, but nothing unbearable. It's for this same reason why the WS coilovers are great performers because it gives me a better feel of the road and how the car will behave when pushed to the limits.

Sorry for the long post, but its not fair for me to tell you what to get because I don't know what is most important for you. Just take into consideration what I mentioned above and you should be fine.
Old 02-07-2001, 03:52 PM
Burning Brakes

coilovers will replace your current spring and shocks, the Apexi WS is heigh adjustable, but damper rate is not. while all of tein's are height and damper adjustable. apexsi should run u around 1100-1300, depending on where u get it, sometimes you can even get it for cheaper. by the way, tein is one of the best coilover producers in the market.

------------------
'01 Lexus IS300
'91 Acura NSX
'95 Nissan Maxima
Old 02-07-2001, 04:15 PM
Instructor

I bought the Apexi WS from Snook for around $860 and that comes complete with spring shock and wrenches for height adjustability. I would guess it'll cost about $200-300 for the install. Eibach's would be about $225 and Konis about $550. Install should be about $50 dollars cheaper than the coilovers because they won't have to play around with the height adjustment. As of yet there are no Tein's available for the Accord/TL - the only Tein's I've seen are like you said for the Accord wagon. Other true coilover application available for us are: NEX, GAB (imported 2 month lead time), OBX (haven't seen them but they list it on their website), Intrax (I emailed them a while ago and they said they'll be ready the first quarter of 2001), and Apex Suspension (same release as Intrax), Mugen (not height or ride adjustable and expensive). You might want to check into these other ones before you make your final decision.
Old 02-07-2001, 05:56 PM
Burning Brakes

860 sounds like a good price, i knew the civics were around 850, because my friend got some, but for TL? wow good deal.

------------------
'01 Lexus IS300
'91 Acura NSX
'95 Nissan Maxima
Old 02-07-2001, 06:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Yep around 850 snook has them also. Really great if you like to adjust your ride height. Plus they handle great.
Old 02-07-2001, 08:47 PM

Talking

Thanks for your responses guys. I'm most likely going to get the Apexi WS Coilovers.
Still interested in other combinations that maybe better for me...

GIMMICK: since you have them, do you have to adjust anything such as the camber/ toe? or do you do it after the spring is settled in?

Anyone have KONI adjustables and springs and lower your car like that. Would that be a better combination than a coilover system? When I say better, I mean comfort and handling.

------------------
PIAA Plasma 9005
V1
Old 02-07-2001, 08:49 PM
Burning Brakes

coilover system is basically spring and shock combo, except its adjustable. negative camber, etc. just depends on how low you set it. if you got the money get tein ha or tein cs

------------------
'01 Lexus IS300
'91 Acura NSX
'95 Nissan Maxima
Old 02-07-2001, 11:24 PM
Burning Brakes

I have no idea what ride would be like, but from what I understand, the Tein HA's will allow you to control not just the ride height, but to some degree the spring rate as well as make adjustments to the shock portion of the combo. I would imagine that you could duplicate a stock ride if you had to. Or you could just go for something that's more agressive that has fairly good ride. I have no idea how good the Apexi's are, but I've heard good things about Tein.
Old 02-08-2001, 12:20 AM
Instructor

With the Apexi WS coilovers you could set your drop between 0-3" safely. Currently my drop is about 2" and my rear wheels are cambering. I haven't gotten around to buying a camber kit yet. I'll probably do so once I get sway bars - here's another upgrade for you to consider if you want better handling for your car. Lex is right - you'll need a camber kit depending on how much you drop the car. With 1.5" drop you could probably get away with not having to purchase a camber kit. For me I set the drop to about 2" because the stance looks good to me.
Old 02-08-2001, 08:30 AM

GIMMICK, wow 2 inches is low! Do you have pics? If I do get it I want to lower max 1.5 all around, so I should be alright correct? Plus I'm going to get a factory body kit and i'll be obsessed with trying not to scratch it all up!!!
BTW, thanks for your help!

------------------
PIAA Plasma 9005
V1
Old 02-08-2001, 08:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check with NSX4DR, he just got coilovers, not sure of the manufacturer.

------------------
2000 TL - Laguna Green, Navi, Rear Spoiler. PIAA Hyperwhite HB's. 17" CL-S wheels. Soon to have Comptech Suspension, Sways & Axle back Exhaust.