Anyway to tell color of car based off of stock # or VIN #?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 04:42 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Anyway to tell color of car based off of stock # or VIN #?

I'm looking to buy a new 2003 TL-S, but one of the dealerships I'm thinking of buying from (Pohanka Acura in Northern VA) doesnt list the real colors on their website for inventory. They just list "Silver" "Red" "White" "Black" ... This would be simple if I was buying a BDP or WDP car, but I want Anthracite Metallic. This doesnt fall under any of these basic colors. So I'm hoping there's a way to tell what color is what from the Stock # or VIN # both of which are supplied on the Pohanka website.
Old 07-14-2002, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Color information is not part of the federal VIN standard so that won't help you determine the vehicle color. A dealer stock number probably references a specific vehicle on their lot, and while just looking at the number itself won't tell you the color (each dealer may have their own inventory numbering system), if you called the dealer and gave them the stock number over the phone they should be able to look it up and tell you the exact color of the vehicle.
Old 07-14-2002, 06:17 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
pianoman41,

Thanks for the info. I was hoping I didnt have to call them, since everytime I call the salesman he gives me a bit of a hard sales approach. I could just hang up on him, but I figured I should try to be somewhat nice to him if he's going to give me a good deal ... I did find out that I could type the VIN into the acura ownerlink website and pretend to add it to my profile and it would tell me the color of the vehicle based off of the VIN (I guess Acura tracks it based off of the unique serial #). Unfortunately, pohanka must not keep an up to date inventory because they just dont have any anthracite metallic TLs listed as in stock, yet I know for a fact they have at least 1 in stock right now.

Thanks again for the info!