Anyone try blacking out the tail light???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004 | 02:21 AM
Racer

Anyone try blacking out the tail light???

This thought just cross my mind...Anyone do a black out/smoke on the tail light???? No matter it's on the 2nd gen. or 3rd gen. tails. I had a SSM TL with the stupid orange/red tail light. Thinking about making my tail looks better and unique. I know the clear/red tails is a great option, but just wanna try something different...

So..

Anyone did the black out taillight? If so, please post a picture and the DIY guide will be awsome.

Remember someone @ CL forum put a red-transparent film on the clear top portion to make the whole tail red. Anyone trys that on TL tails? O BTW, what's that red film called and where can i get them???

Thans a bunch...
Old 11-02-2004 | 03:56 AM
WDP Is Faster

The company is called Oracal ..somewhere along the lines of that. But yea..They only give you a small portion so I dunno if that's what you're looking for. I dunno if they're giving vinyl shit out for free anymore though..there has been to many request from the clubrsx people ahha.
Old 11-02-2004 | 05:18 AM
Instructor

i have window tint on my red tl. and some ppls on board have paint in black too.
Old 11-02-2004 | 05:37 AM
Liquid Ice

Redded out tail lights:

More Pics

I've seen ones where people have spray painted the inside of them black, and ones where people have tinted the clear part so it looks charcoal colored. Both look pretty nice. Dont have any pics though, sorry.
Old 11-02-2004 | 08:52 AM
NiGhT rIdEr

^what taillight are those??
Old 11-02-2004 | 09:07 AM
Pro

There is a pint you can use, it looks real dark while the lights are off, but once you turned them on, it's "almost" like they are not smoked. You would have to open the tail lights and paint from the inside. I believe it's called "somked" or Niteshade by VHT. It's the best "clean" look you can get, that's just me.
Old 11-02-2004 | 11:06 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by reloaded
The company is called Oracal ..somewhere along the lines of that. But yea..They only give you a small portion so I dunno if that's what you're looking for. I dunno if they're giving vinyl shit out for free anymore though..there has been to many request from the clubrsx people ahha.
Just checked out the Oracal, yeah i believe that's the film i'm looking for, thanks. But they only sell them in length of 10 yard +.... that'll be funny if i buy the whole roll of it and just for those 6 inch tail light....
Old 11-02-2004 | 11:11 AM
Racer

Looks nice!! where did you get those red film?
Is it hard to put them on???

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
Redded out tail lights:

More Pics

I've seen ones where people have spray painted the inside of them black, and ones where people have tinted the clear part so it looks charcoal colored. Both look pretty nice. Dont have any pics though, sorry.
Old 11-02-2004 | 11:21 AM
Racer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...931078853&rd=1
the custom cut black film for blacking out tail light.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33716
the smoke spray...

Did anyone have try them? Which one should i choose?? Heard you guys say i have to paint the light from inside...damn i black out my headlight and that's really a shitty process i dont wanna go through again.

So....spray or custom cut film...???
Old 11-02-2004 | 11:46 AM
Liquid Ice

Originally Posted by BeemerKiller
Looks nice!! where did you get those red film?
Is it hard to put them on???
Pretty sure the red film was from Oracal. Its a vinyl adhesive film, you clean the tail lights, then spray water on the tail lights and put the red film on, overlapping the seams. Then you use a razor blade to cut the vinyl to your liking (be careful not to scratch the plastic lenses on your tails). I didn't buy the film, I went to the same guy that blacked out my headlights and he has the red film that he normally uses to red-out RSX tails.

BTW- For whoever was asking about what tails I have, those are standard TL Type S tails (white/red) with the film on them.

You can also buy the black tint for the tail lights on www.c-c-c.net ... Juniorbean runs the site and is a very reliable seller. It might be under the CL link though. I bought the tail light tint from him and its pretty nice, I just didn't like the way the tint looked on my car (wasn't dark enough).
Old 11-02-2004 | 11:58 AM
Racer

Thanks a lot man. Big help !!!!

Originally Posted by LiQiCE
Pretty sure the red film was from Oracal. Its a vinyl adhesive film, you clean the tail lights, then spray water on the tail lights and put the red film on, overlapping the seams. Then you use a razor blade to cut the vinyl to your liking (be careful not to scratch the plastic lenses on your tails). I didn't buy the film, I went to the same guy that blacked out my headlights and he has the red film that he normally uses to red-out RSX tails.

BTW- For whoever was asking about what tails I have, those are standard TL Type S tails (white/red) with the film on them.

You can also buy the black tint for the tail lights on www.c-c-c.net ... Juniorbean runs the site and is a very reliable seller. It might be under the CL link though. I bought the tail light tint from him and its pretty nice, I just didn't like the way the tint looked on my car (wasn't dark enough).
Old 11-02-2004 | 10:59 PM
1999 Acura 3.2 TL

hmm, will redding out `99 tail lights (orange and red) look alright? or will i have to get the `02 tail lights in order for it to come out right?
Old 11-03-2004 | 04:28 AM
WDP Is Faster

I dunno about the TL's but for the RSX, the amber colored taillights seem to look fine after the red vinyl was put over it. If i can recall..I THINK..the TL orange color is a lil bit darker..dunno though.

BTW..for the person who said be careful of not scratching the taillight..I think at one point..you're gonna end up doing it. It's bound to happen cuz your putting a razor onto the taillight. But, the less the better..

BTW LIQICE..kinda not feeling the red vinyls on the taillights..but your car is definetly hot. Did you do something to the headlights? It looks like it but then I checked your site and you didn't mention anything about the headlights. Regardless..your car is really clean ahha.
Old 11-03-2004 | 05:20 AM
Liquid Ice

Originally Posted by reloaded
I dunno about the TL's but for the RSX, the amber colored taillights seem to look fine after the red vinyl was put over it. If i can recall..I THINK..the TL orange color is a lil bit darker..dunno though.

BTW..for the person who said be careful of not scratching the taillight..I think at one point..you're gonna end up doing it. It's bound to happen cuz your putting a razor onto the taillight. But, the less the better..

BTW LIQICE..kinda not feeling the red vinyls on the taillights..but your car is definetly hot. Did you do something to the headlights? It looks like it but then I checked your site and you didn't mention anything about the headlights. Regardless..your car is really clean ahha.
Yeah all I'm sayin with the tail light is be careful. Don't go putting all kinds of pressure onto the razor to cut the vinyl. Going easy on it will still cut the vinyl and not damage the tail light.

The set of pics that I linked was specifically after I had added the bodykit, exhaust, and redded out tail lights. If you click the link in my sig I have a lot more pictures. And yes, I had my headlights blacked out.
Old 11-03-2004 | 06:36 PM
Told Ya'LL...DYNASTY !!

i have my taillights smoked but am still trying to get a hold of a good digital camera to take pics....if you can wait a day or two my car is in the shop getting the ww sideskirts and rear put on so i'll be able to take pics when it comes out, i also have a ssm and the tailights came out great
Old 11-03-2004 | 06:51 PM
Race Director

how did you do it, or where in NYC did you get it done?
Old 11-03-2004 | 07:56 PM
All Hail the Chief

LiQice...looks like somebody spent all weekend Zaino'ing their ride!!!

Beautifully clean car!
Old 11-03-2004 | 11:43 PM
Racer

awsome...Mind tell me how u get ur light smoked or u have pro done it for u...

I also had a full WW kit laying on the garage for a month already...freaking no money to have them painted and installed. The best price i found now is $400.. Yesterday i called another body shop they quote me $700!!!! WHat a rip off!!!!

Saving money now...damn..but mods are addiction...

Anyways..waiting for your pic....

Originally Posted by XxXboboXxX
i have my taillights smoked but am still trying to get a hold of a good digital camera to take pics....if you can wait a day or two my car is in the shop getting the ww sideskirts and rear put on so i'll be able to take pics when it comes out, i also have a ssm and the tailights came out great
Old 11-04-2004 | 12:42 AM
1999 Acura 3.2 TL

well, went to autozone today, and there was this section in there, and it had red translucent taillight tape, it said it was for temporary use, so i`m thinking that by temporary use, they`re saying if you have a cracked open taillight, then you use it right? so i was wondering, if i can use this to red out my taillights. they also had amber translucent tape. so is redding my taillights possible with these "temporary" translucent tape?
Old 11-04-2004 | 03:31 PM
1999 Acura 3.2 TL

Bump
Old 11-05-2004 | 12:14 AM
Racer

There's a how to on acura-cl.com
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...&highlight=DIY

I also heard of another way involving getting some tint spray from a model / hobby shop, then spraying the inside of the housing, but you'll have to search for that.
Old 11-05-2004 | 10:00 AM
Drifting

http://www.lamin-x.com/
Old 11-05-2004 | 10:03 AM
Race Director

nlamin-x . not the greatest film in the world. I've used it before.
Old 11-05-2004 | 11:01 AM
Liquid Ice

Decalgirl.com sells vinyl too, its expensive from her though. I remember a few people had said they just went to a graphic design shop and asked if they could have the scraps in a particular color. Most places that are cutting specially designed vinyl will have a lot of scrap left over. You only need a little bit since the tail lights aren't that big.
Old 11-05-2004 | 11:08 AM
Banned

if you use the tint spray you DO NOT have to open up the tail lights... its sprayed on the outside.

here is an example:

Old 11-05-2004 | 03:58 PM
1999 Acura 3.2 TL

wait, so, when blacking out/redding out taillights/headlights, do you have to open up the housing? or do you tape the film/paint it on the outside of the housing? wouldn`t that scratch or scrape off the paint?
Old 11-05-2004 | 04:17 PM
Racer

Nice ride car_lost. since we dont have to open up the tail light to smoke them, guess i'll go for it.

one last question, the picture you showed was smoke on a clear/red light or orange/red light. I had the orange one wander if the outcome will be okay or not.

[QUOTE=car_lost]if you use the tint spray you DO NOT have to open up the tail lights... its sprayed on the outside.
Old 11-05-2004 | 04:32 PM
Banned

i should of mentioned it before, but thats not my car. i THINK those are the stock red/oranghe tails with spray tint. also, like i said... you apply it on the OUTSIDE.
Old 11-05-2004 | 05:03 PM
Liquid Ice

Originally Posted by car_lost
i should of mentioned it before, but thats not my car. i THINK those are the stock red/oranghe tails with spray tint. also, like i said... you apply it on the OUTSIDE.
There must be 2 kinds then cuz I've seen ones where you spray on the inside. A lot of the older Maximas do it this way.

slikz,

For headlights, the way I've done it is the headlight housing was opened and the chrome pieces which are not used for light reflection are painted black with high temperature paint. I don't know how well headlights would turn out if you spray painted the front of it or if you used vinyl. It would most likely lower the light output from your headlights though.

My tail lights have vinyl "stuck" to the plastic. It adheres similar to the way window tint does. Dunno anything about the spray paint tint on the outside of the tails.
Old 11-05-2004 | 06:47 PM
Burning Brakes

That "Firepepper red" is the hottest color Acura ever made!!!! To bad the TL-S or 3rd Gen dosn't come with that as an option.
Oh ya please dont darken/lessen the brake light output on your car, you're just asking for one of the hundreds of lawyers that graduate everyday to "rear-end" you in court.

My TL-S(unique)
Old 11-05-2004 | 08:25 PM
Race Director

so where do i get that spray tint?