Anyone here us or have any input on doing a 'chip' to these cars?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002, 12:22 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone here us or have any input on doing a 'chip' to these cars?

I am kind of curious to hp gains (either peak or across the band) as well as cost and manufacturers.

Thanks fellas.

Jer
Old 06-29-2002, 10:58 AM
Burning Brakes

I don not think our chip can be modified. You can use piggy back chips and so forth.
Old 07-01-2002, 06:54 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by TopGum
I don not think our chip can be modified. You can use piggy back chips and so forth.
Hmmm.. do you know cost/gains or anything?
Old 07-02-2002, 10:44 AM
Instructor

what piggy back chips are there out there... how much... and what are the gains?

thanks

melo-
Old 07-02-2002, 12:20 PM
Racer

I'm curious about that too. Any info is much appreciated.
Old 07-02-2002, 12:41 PM
Drifting

Given that the TLS is a highly tuned normally aspirated engine, I doubt there is much hp to be gained from a chip.

Chips are usually beneficial when you have a turbo or supercharger.
Old 07-02-2002, 08:38 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by hemants
Given that the TLS is a highly tuned normally aspirated engine, I doubt there is much hp to be gained from a chip.

Chips are usually beneficial when you have a turbo or supercharger.
Most engines that are from the factory still have much tuning to do. They are usually not maximized for high octane gas, they also have room for advancing timing as well as rasing the rev limiter to take advantage of higher hp. Some chips are good for around 10hp some for much more. That is why I have posted this topic, I am looking for someone who knows facts, not someone who wants to spout off what they think they know.

Sorry in advance if I am coming off harsh, but so far every topic I have posted looking for actual facts is only responded to by people who think they know what is going on. Please, unless you know for a fact, don't shoot down my ideas as being stupid. Your post wasn't as condescending, so sorry to unload this all on you, I just hope that some of the people who are a little more harsh than you read this and think before they post in the future.

Jer
Old 07-03-2002, 07:01 AM
Drifting

Well to put it bluntly I don't think that such a chip exists for the TL type S.

Given that Acura gets 260hp out of an engine that previously got 227 with the same displacement I BELIEVE that there would be very limited marginal gains to be had without breaching emmissions or safe operating standards.

This is of course my uneducated opinion. Take it or leave it
Old 07-03-2002, 08:51 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Given that Acura gets 260hp out of an engine that previously got 227 with the same displacement I BELIEVE that there would be very limited marginal gains to be had without breaching emmissions or safe operating standards.

I agree.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:31 AM
do it yourself, !

Originally posted by Jeremy Helling

Most engines that are from the factory still have much tuning to do. They are usually not maximized for high octane gas, they also have room for advancing timing as well as rasing the rev limiter to take advantage of higher hp. Some chips are good for around 10hp some for much more. That is why I have posted this topic, I am looking for someone who knows facts, not someone who wants to spout off what they think they know.

Sorry in advance if I am coming off harsh, but so far every topic I have posted looking for actual facts is only responded to by people who think they know what is going on. Please, unless you know for a fact, don't shoot down my ideas as being stupid. Your post wasn't as condescending, so sorry to unload this all on you, I just hope that some of the people who are a little more harsh than you read this and think before they post in the future.

Jer
You probably know more than me as far as cars go, but from my limited experience and knowledge, Hondas come out of the factory with the NA engine output "squeezed" to capacity with little or no room for increase, especially electronically.

Given the example of the s2000 where the NA has no room for improvement and only mugen took on the challenge and after $$7G's + only being able to increase HP very little.

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but i thought it is rare to see Honda and chip in the same sentence.

-jeremy

ps..you like "jer"?? i hate when people call me that
Old 07-03-2002, 11:03 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually it was 225hp. Just giving you $hit.

As for chips. This topic has been discussed numerous times here. From my recollection, Honda is highly protective of the code for their engine management systems and the "chips" that are in their cars are not easily replaceable by pulling out and replacing with a new one. It is a permanent connection.

As for the following comment:

Most engines that are from the factory still have much tuning to do. They are usually not maximized for high octane gas, they also have room for advancing timing as well as rasing the rev limiter to take advantage of higher hp. Some chips are good for around 10hp some for much more.
This is/was especially true with engines that do not have variable timing. Prior to VTEC, VVTi, etc, engines were tuned to the best compromise for fuel efficiency AND performance, with emissions also being a factor. What you usually got was decent fuel economy at the expense of watered down performance, to varying degrees (i.e. Corvette vs. Impala).

The idea behind variable timing is that now you can kinda' have the best of both worlds. The camshaft has two sets of lobes, a more aggressive set for that kind of driving, and a more "practical" set for normal driving. What you get is good fuel economy when just cruising around, but increased performance when the engine is pushed above 4500 RPM (in VTEC's case). You probably already knew this.

I know there have been cases where people have modified their cars so that VTEC kicks in sooner, but I'm not sure there have been dramatic improvements, and usually there is some sort of compromise involved.

So this long answer to your short question would be, I do not believe there is a "cheap" way to "chip" the 3.2L engine. My definition of cheap is around $200-$300. If there was, I believe many of us would have done so already. If money is no object, I'm sure it can be done.

Last thing to keep in mind that with Honda being so protective of their engine management systems, you more than likely will void your warranty if you do any hacking to the ECU.

That's my relatively uninformed opinion, for what it's worth.

Edit note: If you already haven't, read the thread on the Apex'i V-afc. It may be your best bet.
Old 07-04-2002, 01:29 PM
Vin
Advanced

What about the Dastek Unichip? The v6 accords had some success with it, and I think they just released one for our direct ignition systems.
Old 07-04-2002, 01:31 PM
Banned

Then explain how the S2000 with the program module gets over 15hp more than stock?
Old 07-05-2002, 07:54 AM
Drifting

"Then explain how the S2000 with the program module gets over 15hp more than stock?"

Which program module?

Linky link pls

P.S. Mugen makes an s2000 ECU replacement for TRACK ONLY (change rev limiter and eliminates ODB2 sensors)
Old 07-06-2002, 01:58 AM
Cruisin'

Great!!

This is the type of intelligent input I was looking for. This is how you reply to topics.

Thanks guys. I will post again when I have a little more time.

Jer
Old 07-06-2002, 03:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Jeremy Helling
Great!!

This is the type of intelligent input I was looking for. This is how you reply to topics.

Thanks guys. I will post again when I have a little more time.

Jer
i totally agree with you on how some people post opinions more than facts.....anyways...for those people out there....you can tune your car more than you think...the only probaly is if you wanna past smog.....our cars are so detuned so they can run clean. for emissions mostly.....how do you think the nsx engine puts out 290......our cars are so far from being tuned......just gotta see how much balls you have to figuring it out......here is a place you can get a hold of their hard core in acura and honda......owner has a black nsx comptech supercharged and nos....with a standalone engine management.......hit up their site.. www.factorxmotorsports.com
their located in fullerton....tell them Jon Lerdsuwanrut (son of the owner of the shell gas station near them sent you)
Old 07-06-2002, 09:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by asiankidd

i totally agree with you on how some people post opinions more than facts...anyways...for those people out there....you can tune your car more than you think...the only probaly is if you wanna past smog.....our cars are so detuned so they can run clean. for emissions mostly.....how do you think the nsx engine puts out 290......our cars are so far from being tuned......just gotta see how much balls you have to figuring it out......here is a place you can get a hold of their hard core in acura and honda......owner has a black nsx comptech supercharged and nos....with a standalone engine management.......hit up their site.. www.factorxmotorsports.com
their located in fullerton....tell them Jon Lerdsuwanrut (son of the owner of the shell gas station near them sent you)

Now was this last post fact or opinion???

If you ask for advice you are going to get fact and opinion. If you want to come off the way you did; the quality of replies you get will decrease greatly. How many people would appreciate that tone and then put in the time and effort to help?

The NSX puts out 290 as it is a completely different engine. We Do NOT have a detuned version of the same engine. First off its a DOHC design vs our SOHC design. It also has some cool features like titanium lined piston walls for reinforcement of their thin walls; the list goes on and on n how it differs.

An NSX with a Comptech Supercharger and NOS needing a standaone fuel management system is a completely different story compared to a car without those two mods.

Sorry if I come off as condescending, but here's another fact; this topic has been covered before on this board, and it is my opinion the search feature should be used more so people can get some info from the previous posts and then ask questions if they still need further clarification on anything.
Old 07-06-2002, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by asiankidd

...just gotta see how much balls you have to figuring it out......here is a place you can get a hold of their hard core in acura and honda......owner has a black nsx comptech supercharged and nos....with a standalone engine management.......hit up their site.. www.factorxmotorsports.com
Reread my post. I didn't say that you CAN'T tune our engines.

One of my quotes:

So this long answer to your short question would be, I do not believe there is a "cheap" way to "chip" the 3.2L engine. My definition of cheap is around $200-$300. If there was, I believe many of us would have done so already. If money is no object, I'm sure it can be done.
I still do not believe there is a cheap way as there is with Ford, Chevy, etc. where you can just pop out and replace the old chip, or reprogram it.
Old 07-07-2002, 08:47 PM
Vin
Advanced

The Accord owners have had 20 hp increases with the Dastek Unichip, with other mods.

Some of them have over 210 wheel horse power.
Old 07-08-2002, 09:45 AM
Cruisin'

Let the gas tank run bone dry and fill up with 93 octaine [typical premium]; then disconnect the battery for about an hour; when you reconnect the chip should be reprogrammed to run premium only. After a few tanks of premium you should experience a performance difference.

This happened to me re my 2000 Avalon XLS with a new overnight battery installation. Runs MUCH faster acceleration now.
Old 07-08-2002, 10:35 AM
10th Gear

Originally posted by Shelly
Let the gas tank run bone dry and fill up with 93 octaine [typical premium]; then disconnect the battery for about an hour; when you reconnect the chip should be reprogrammed to run premium only. After a few tanks of premium you should experience a performance difference.

This happened to me re my 2000 Avalon XLS with a new overnight battery installation. Runs MUCH faster acceleration now.
I don't think it's quite that simple. I was on a roadtrip and I ran out of gas and juce from the battery. So I filled up a full tank of gas with 93 octane grade (i always use 93 octane when on roadtrip) and walked to nearby mom-and-pop autoshop to get a replacement battery. Since it was quite a walk so I'm pretty sure that was more than an hour with the car literary in "dead" mode. After did all of that, got back on the highway and didn't notice any thing different in term of power or any other. If it had worked just like you'd told....then I would be pimping, overjoyed in my beat up 95 Accord already. Hmm....i wonder if it'd work if I use DIESEL fuel for it....LOL....j/k
Old 07-09-2002, 07:08 PM
Burning Brakes

From the Comptech web forum:

Mike B at Comptech

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The chip used in that computer is made exclusively for Honda/Acura and they do not make it available to anyone by itself. And the chips themselves are not reprogrammable.
Old 07-09-2002, 08:47 PM
eCo
Advanced

A piggy-back unit is currently under development at Weapon-R .

I emailed Chris Agloro about the status of their unit and he replied:

"It is still in the works we do not have any dyno runs yet since we are testing it on a daily driven car so that we can check if errors pop up but we will be working on the ecu for a while longer."

I believe they've been on this since Jan or Feb this year, though, so don't hold your breath.

eCo